Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

this was in 2015 I think

Looking for Airline CC (not 3rd party travel reward) with really good sign up bonus for bunch of dental work. The idea is that I wont’ lose the miles if I cancel the card later if there’s a annual fee associated with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, I’ll take a look. Some of these annual fee are eye popping but there’s one that got the 1st year fee waived.

Delta airline miles are valued at about 1.2c so the extra 20k miles are worth about $240 which is about the same as the annual fee for the Platinum card but you do get extra perks vs. Gold such as reimbursement of TSA-Pre or Global Entry, higher miles earnings, option to get a free companion ticket upon renewal (could be worth if the ticket costs more than the annual fee), and no foreign transaction fees.

Also since AMEX cards are only once per lifetime bonuses, getting the Platinum one may work out better if you’ve already gotten the Gold before. Either way, AMEX will tell you if you’re eligible before you finalize the application.

4 Likes

Not sure how this one isn’t here, unless I missed it: https://www.aodfcu.com/visa-signature-credit-card/

3% back on everything, no annual fee. Offered by Anniston Ordnance Depot Federal Credit Union out of Alabama. The “in” for folks outside of Alabama seems to be membership in the Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association for $5. Many data points on Reddit, myFico, and DoC saying it should be possible to get this one outside of Alabama.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting. According to DoC, the underwriting process is manual and tedious with not good odds for approval if you have opened a lot of other credit cards. I may still try it though.

1 Like

I personally haven’t gone for it. It’s got high appeal though to anyone who isn’t chasing SUBs or isn’t interested in travel. 3% blows away anything else.

I think you can do better with AMEX or Chase though if you are willing to transfer to partners like Hyatt or some of the Star Alliance carriers. That is, if you actually value some of the available redemptions at or near their list price.

Please let us know if you go for it as I’m on the fence on this one. I don’t have a pure cash back card; everything I have generates points that need to be redeemed for travel to maximize value so this one seems like a good one for me from a diversification perspective.

1 Like

This is the best thread I could find…

PenFed has an offer of $150 (statement credit) if you add an authorized user to an existing credit card.

If you have PF cards, look for an email with subject of

Yule love this gift: $150 statement credit

2 Likes

Changes to Bank of America (BofA) Preferred Rewards (PR) as of 11/12/2021:

I just received some material about the BofA PR program, and squinted through the small print. Although as I had verified a month or two ago when I first heard about it, the 75% bonus level for Platinum Honors is not changing, there are a few things that are noteworthy I think as they relate to credit cards:

Note: For existing PR members, these fee waiver removals (i.e., price increases or new charges) are not effective until 1/2024 – BofA plays a long game. For new members I assume they are effective immediately.

• International Transaction Fee Waiver on ATM withdrawals and international purchases:
  • Returned item fee (not sure what this is or if it applies to credit cards, this notice is PR-oriented, not CC specific)
  • NSF (bounce check) fee

In addition, you will need to already have or open, and maintain active, a BofA checking account. This requirement is effective immediately for new customers, or for existing customers, at your next annual account review - in other words it is not held in abeyance until 1/2024 as the fee waivers are. I am uncertain what ‘active’ means – ATM/debit card periodic use, regular debits/credits to the account, regular checks/billpayments, or just maintaining a small balance. See Addendum to Personal Schedule of Fees, Effective November 12, 2021, 1st and 8th paragraphs for information about checking account requirement, see “Welcome to your new benefits” letter, reverse side, third item under “Answers to some Preferred Rewards questions” , Answer to Question “What is Changing?” for the fees-no-longer-waived information.

Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Same subject for me but different criteria:

Yule love this gift: $150 statement credit

** Celebrate the season with $150 when you sign up for monthly recurring electronic payments on your credit card account and enroll in paperless statements. ** š

2 Likes

I tried to set up elec payments…not easy. I emailed Penfed if i was signed up for bonus. Answer was that since I already have online statements, I do not qualify. Scew them .Nothing about that in offer. I could not find out how to delete the auto payment. had to email them to do it. Not pursuing this. Waste of time.

1 Like

Does anyone know what credit report agencies Bank of America pulls for an application on the ultimate rewards card?

Don’t know, but for a new application, it may be better to sign up for the Premium Rewards card and then convert to Unlimited Cash before the second annual fee is charged.

1 Like

Can I convert an existing Premium rewards card to Unlimited Cash? Will the converted UC card have the same number as original PR card?

Yes, just converted mine last month. Took about 1 week for the approval process.

5 Likes

Just got a letter from Citi Double Cash that starting 3/28 the cash back will be earned in the form of ThankYou Points. They’re removing the $25 minimum for redemption and keeping the ability to redeem TYP for cash 1:1 (1pt=$0.01).

This introduces a tiny risk of point inflation in the future, since it’s no longer a “cash back” card.

6 Likes

I also received the email. I’m not happy about the changes. Wondering whether Citibank will change the name of the card from Double Cash to Thank You Points Card?

2% cash return cards are hard to find…

Some remain.

Take a look at PSECU’s Founder’s Visa Signature and at PenFed’s Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature. Both offer an uncapped 2% reward and both pay more quickly than Citi. PenFed pays out your entire reward before you are required to pay your bill.

Also there are the two Bank of America cards, Customized Cash Rewards Visa Signature and Customized Cash Rewards World Mastercard. Both of those cards offer a 3% reward limited to $2500 of charges each quarter. Sure it’s a capped reward. But it is also an easy $600 in your pocket every year.

Finally there is the Citizens Bank Cash Back Plus World Mastercard. The reward percentage is only 1.8%, so slightly inferior to Citi. But the payout happens only a few days after you use the card, and long before you are required to pay your CC bill.

Bottom line, there are great alternatives to Citi. And they pay in dollars, not in Thankyou points.

ETA

Oh, I very nearly overlooked the Keesler CU Visa Signature card which offers a 2% reward. You are a Keesler member if I recall correctly, pattyb53. The Keesler credit card is an excellent card, one I use and like a whole lot.

1 Like

Initial reaction for me was actually pleased. Yes that introduces the risk of point devaluation in the future. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. And it gives more options for better than 1% cashback per point too.

We used TYP in 2019 (via transfer to Virgin Atlantic) to book ANA tickets from our back of the woods to Narita. Paid 60k points ($600) each for 4 tickets that you could not find below $1500.

Obviously not an improvement if you were redeeming them in cash before. But option to convert to TYP has been available since 2019 I think. They just force you to do that conversion now which honestly makes it easier if you have other Citi cards giving you TYP.

1 Like