Best Reward / Cash Back Credit Cards

There’s also the possibility that you’ll be able to redeem TYPs from other credit cards, through your double cash card at that same penny-per-point redemption value.

1 Like

Yes that’s why we both did the Citi Premier 80k points offer last year. I’m hoping we can transfer these TYP from all Citi cards a bit like you do with Chase UR points to get to the thresholds for flight redemption faster.

But for us, redemption via transfer to flight partners yield about 1.5-2.5 cent/pt, it can turn the Citi DC into a 3-5% cashback card on everything with no limits.

I’m not quite sure though why they force the conversion to TYP since they have been allowing the redemptions to TYP for about 3 years now. That does make me worry about the point devaluation for cash redemptions. Like I said, we’ll worry about that when the time comes. It’s the name of the game with points that best redemption options constantly change depending on conversion rates and number of points required by partners for flights and hotels.

Thanks for the update on Cash Back cards.

Most of the Reward Cards I’ve looked at or even tried. I’m not one that enjoys the debit card route. However I do use Keesler and Evansville RC.

I’m so used to Citibank 2% DC card that I’ll probably put up with the TYPoints. As long as we still have a way to get the cash checks returns. I also have a very high limit. :blush:

As I’ve mentioned before I charge all farm bills that except a card, so that cash back is :blush: nice. I actually used to use travel miles instead of cash but we don’t fly big time anymore.

So we all have our own system and hopefully we are satisfied.

According to google that is correct. I didn’t get the memo (via email from TYP) until 11/2020 :joy: .

I linked my DC to an existing TYP account in 12/2020, but there was no option to redeem points earned from Premier for cash. I don’t know if anything changed since then, but I doubt it (I closed Premier because it was useless to me for many years, even without the AF).

TYP has (had?) always tracked the points separately, because even though the balance reflected all of them, they actually had different expiration dates. Some points never expired as long as the account was open, while others (IIRC from banking relationship) expired in something like 12 months. Thankfully they were redeemed in order of expiration automatically.

1 Like

What’s the best card opening bonus today? I looked at the PointsGuy’s website and it looks like things are not quite as good as they were a few years ago…

I have some large expenditures coming up next month and want to take advange soon.

Also, I had the chase sapphire preferred 3-4 years ago which I converted to a chase freedom (still have it today). And I got Chase Ink a year later. But no new chase cards since them. Anyone I know if I can open a new chase sapphire preferred now and get the bonus again?

I’d say it depends on when you got your CSP bonus. Most recent Chase rules I had recorded:

• 5/24
  • Card can’t be open and bonus must have been received more than 24 mo ago (spelled out in the app T&C)
  • One Sapphire bonus per 48 months (any Sapphire)

The best in terms of what, $ or “ROS” (return on spend)? How much are you spending and how quickly?

You could probably try another Ink, since there are three of them ($750 CB for $7500 spend in 3 mo to 100K UR for $15000 spend in 3 mo) and I don’t believe the “any Sapphire” rule exists for Ink cards. Also take a look at CapOne – Venture, Venture X and Spark cards have good bonuses.

The above are best for cash (or almost cash) IMO. I don’t keep good track of the airline or hotel bonuses now.

4 Likes

The points guy only cares about telling people about cards that pay him commissions. Stick with doctor of credit at the link @scripta posted.

7 Likes

Not sure if best but this looks pretty good to me.

$300 bonus on $2,000 spend

2 Likes

Thanks for this and everyone else’s helpful comments.
I am mainly looking for $/travel bonus since I have a few once yearly payments in march and april that are relatively large, so it is easy to meet the spend requirements. I already get about 2.3% cash back on the Alliant card. Most of my expenditures are restaurants and grocery these days approx ($30k per year). I don’t do MS (not that there’s anything wrong with that :grinning: )

I’ll need to look up when exactly I last had the sapphire. Hopefully the phone reps will give accurate information about whether I qualify for the bonus.

That’s weird, what happens to the other 0.2%? :laughing:

You don’t need MS to churn, especially if you have big annual or semiannual bills. I plan our CC applications around property tax due dates.

2 Likes

Yeah, another Red Ventures ruination.

2.3% was just the 2.5% rate less the annual fee (they got rid of the fee but I had paid it already).

But, after I posted that, I realized that Alliant is really playing games with the requirement for that card, so I am switching to the Fidelity 2.0% card for my daily driver. I am really pissed at Alliant for the way they handled that card (charging me $99 fee, changing the rules a few weeks later, not refunding my fee, and then catching me up on the account rules so I got 1.5% for a few months without knowing it.). I don’t play the rewards checking games and I am not going to do something similar with a credit card.

3 Likes

Well, the new rules were posted here and everywhere else too, so that’s on you as much as on them. And as far as I know they haven’t changed those rules since the first time.

And soon not even to them:

1 Like

Darn that was my go to. Back to Citi 2 %.

On a related note Still have 4 days left for 3.5% BlockFi. Need about $2K manu. spending. I miss US mint coins :wink:

Amex Preferred currently has 5% back on insurance payments up to $400 and $5 back on $100 cable payments up to $400. I called to verify this and asked the rep for more rewards and he gave a $10 courtesy reward!

1 Like

We all do! That was one great deal, and it was a lot of fun, too. :wink:

2 Likes

Lots of new posts here since I last checked this thread, and from a quick review it seems mostly about cards being downgraded or discontinued.

I am still on this BoA card. The $95 annual fee is more than cancelled out by the $100 rebate on airline giftcards and bag fees. Spend is about 25k a month but varies quite a bit between 0 and 100k, no manufactured spend. Is there anything better out there without jumping through hoops?

1 Like

No, there isn’t.

2 Likes

Monthly? Annually?