Booster Shots: When will you get a booster (3rd) shot of the vaccine?

yes why stop at 3 :wink: ?

Makes me want to wait for the 4th next year. instead. I do that with Flu shot, every other year to get variants.

That makes no sense. The flu vaccine contents can change every year and the reason itā€™s annual is the same reason we need COVID boosters ā€“ immunity wanes over time. The difference is that flu is seasonal, so getting a shot near the beginning of the season should last the whole season.

I too think at this rate weā€™ll be getting COVID boosters every 6 months for who knows how long. I have no reason to believe 3rd time is the charm. Unlessā€¦ is it possible to get sick with multiple variants at the same time? Iā€™m not sure if I read or imagined that once your nasal passages are gunked up, you canā€™t catch another virus that attacks the same way. If thatā€™s the case, then a more contagious but (hopefully) less virulent / deadly variant (like O) might bring the end of the pandemic.

5 Likes

itā€™s an educated guess and cocktails about which variant will be included. Some years they get it right, some they donā€™t.

I disagree about the wanes to 0 hypothesis( same reason while Iā€™m waiting for a C19 booster). Now if they had a different variant booster Iā€™d be in. Why not go straight to 4th? https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/omicron-pfizer-ceo-says-we-may-need-fourth-covid-vaccine-doses-sooner-than-expected.html

To be clear Iā€™m low risk, and the high risk people around me have been boosted.

ā€œworked for meā€ = ā€œdidnā€™t kill me?ā€ :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t understand any other definition unless you purposely tried to get the Chinese flu, or the Delta, XI, or Omicron variants, and the J&J vaccine worked by stopping you from getting infected.

3 Likes

I thought this was another of the Babylon Bee send-ups. Obviously global warming and rising sea levels are a hoax. The Atlantic is dropping precipitously. :wink:

Sorry for the confusion @Scripta, but Discourse recommended putting multiple responses in one post. :unamused:

@Zaos predicted this back in July. I still think they will push for it be monthly. Why not? Weā€™re told ad infinitum that the vaccines are perfectly safe and eff ahem, ahem, effective.

And someone is going to regret reminding me about the Bee. Theyā€™ve uncovered evidence of the future boosters.

2 Likes

Not exactly. To the one and only J&J shot I have received so far I had no reaction whatsoever. And that is precisely my preferred outcome. So when it comes to the booster I will opt for (what I hope will be) a repeat performance by J&J.

In addition and only somewhat off topic:

I do not trust the mRNA vaccines, which have not been around long enough to satisfy me. So when booster time rolls around I will seek actively to avoid Pfizer and Moderna. That leaves J&J as my only option unless I choose to go abroad to obtain my booster. And thatā€™s not gonna happen.

2 Likes

EU edging closer to mandatory ongoing boosters for travel

The EU executive commission proposed in November a nine-month validity limit for COVID-19 passes from the completion of the primary vaccine doses. If applied, EU citizens wanting to travel freely next summer across the bloc would need a booster shot

age 16+ approved for boosting.

PFIZER AND BIONTECH RECEIVE U.S. FDA EMERGENCY USE AUTHORIZATION OF COVID-19 VACCINE BOOSTER FOR INDIVIDUALS 16 YEARS AND OLDER

Yes I want to go the other way too (mRNA to JNJ/ AZN booster) but thatā€™s not a choice here in the USā€¦ yet or ever. Why is JNJ still the laggard with boosters (even though 2 doses with them are just as effective as mRNA)

hard to swallow or inject in this case :slight_smile:

per Fauci it has to do with increasing the ā€œbreadth and height of the AB responseā€ Maybe someone here can shed more light

We all are allowed to have our own opinion regarding the various types of vaccines. Whether itā€™s mRNA, JNJ/AZN, booster or something else.

Everyday we hear a new story. Iā€™m going to follow along with my instincts and get the third mRNA booster. My appointment is tomorrow morning.

Actually Iā€™m thinking now or never. :blush:

1 Like

Good luck. Iā€™m going for my third test tomorrow afternoon.

3 Likes

UK on Omicron

• UK HEALTH SECURITY AGENCY: SEEING EVIDENCE OF IMMUNE EVASION WITH OMICRON

• COVID: UK HEALTH SECURITY AGENCY: SEEING REDUCED VACCINE EFFECTIVENESS OF BOTH ASTRAZENECA AND PFIZER COVID-19 VACCINES AGAINST MILD DISEASE WITH OMICRON

• UK HEALTH SECURITY AGENCY: 2 UK EXPERIMENTS SHOW OMICRON DECREASE LAB NEUTRALISATION 20 TO 40 FOLD COMPARED TO ORIGINAL VIRUS, 10 TO 20 FOLD COMPARED TO DELTA

• BOOSTERS GIVE 70-75% OMICRON PROTECTION, U.K. STUDY SAYS

1 Like

3rd mRNA booster received today. I asked the nurse about needing a 4th vaccination. She said, she couldnā€™t say. Big deal!! :blush:

Hopefully good results from your Covid-19ā€™s testing today. Do you find out immediately?

1 Like

3rd mRNA booster

this will be the way to go soon:

2 Likes

Maybe, but maybe not. Moderna had an mRNA based flu vaccine in trials and they gave the early results of that this am. Market was unimpressed.

Moderna released its first results during an investor phone call and presented slides showing that the mRNA flu shots did generate antibodies ā€” but the levels of those antibodies werenā€™t higher than those for other flu shots already on the market. They also had more side effects than existing shots.

All the microchips, none of the benefit beyond what we have for flu :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Novavax is using spike proteins and not mRNA, so more traditonal?. Iā€™m hoping combo vax (like MMR) work out whether nanobots or traditional :wink:

2 Likes