"Bye Bye" to Shinobi?

Didn’t @shinobi live in a smallish NE state? Anyone up for a search party?! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Speculating where Shin lives was a hobby of mine during his time here.

He got his shot in a border state that was 20 miles from where he lives: When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated? - #426 by shinobi

A little further down in that thread, he mentions that the state he was traveling to for that vaccine “required” residency based on this list: Vaccine vacation: Shot-seekers head to other states in hope of appointment. He eventually got a shot at a Rite Aid.

He mentions here that his state voted from Trump in 2016 - this eliminates the NE states: Filing your 2018 tax return? How's it going? - #181 by shinobi

Various comments have made clear that he lives somewhere out in the boonies, miles from civilization.

Based on all of this, I believe he lives in rural Northern Pennsylvania, somewhere near the New York border.

8 Likes

I’d concluded he was in rural NY, or immediately bordering rural NY. So I agree.

Is that enough to send out search teams?

I have the IP address he originally registered here with, and it confirms the small town NY thing. His last login was from a VPN service. Unless we truly suspect something bad has happened, it would not be appropriate for me to name the town.

6 Likes

I think it’s mostly curiosity, and the hope that he’ll venture back eventually and tell us who had the winning guess.

Any serious attempt to track him down (if it’s ever deemed necessary, for Shin or any other member) should go through you and be done confidentially.

2 Likes

IMO this should not be done at all. This is an anonymous message board and should stay anonymous, unless the users volunteer their own information. Even confirming that his IP maps to any specific area (even though many of us suspected it) should not be done. This forum does have a privacy policy, and IMO it would be a violation of the stated policy to confirm any information or try to find a user.

He even changed his avatar to “Bye bye” to let us know he’s leaving, even though it’s cryptic. Sounds like he meant to leave. Unless there was foul play and he’s in trouble and his captors were clever enough to change his avatar to throw us off track… but I doubt it.

7 Likes

I’m guessing northern PA close to NY border since PA voted for Trump in 2016 but NY did not.

To be clear… I was joking.

I don’t think we should go looking for shinobi or anyone else… I am sure he is fine and decided to stop participating for whatever personal reasons.

Hope he might see these messages one day and smile a bit.

2 Likes

I was just over at DepositAccounts reading the forum and saw some posts “Kaight” made today. The writing style and language is very similar. Did you try sending “Kaight” a PM over at DepositAccounts?

1 Like

I haven’t… I actually don’t have an account over there. But like you said, the word choice and phrasing is just so similar that I find it hard to believe it’s a coincidence.

I just sent a PM to Kaight on DA. Will report back if I get a response! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I’m wondering about the same issue. Anxious :disappointed_relieved: whether you get a response.

1 Like

Thanks for the making the effort and the update. He may be buried by L.E. snow, but I hope that your efforts are rewarded with a response.

No reply to my PM and Kaight continues to post regularly over on DA so I’m sure they’ve seen my message. Not sure if this purposeful non-response makes it more or less likely that Kaight is in fact Shinobi.

4 Likes

I’m still thinking Kaight is likely Shinobi. Here’s a post from Kaight today over on DA. Seems so Shinobi like. Made me think about and miss him!!

In one of the more noteworthy wrinkles of the last six months, Andrews FCU’s Online Savings account continues to award once confused participants with 5% APY on the first thousand bucks in the account. Go figure!

Andrews, a few months back, bewildered and annoyed those participating in this account by first discontinuing it, and then failing to publish the interest rate for grandfathered accounts. It was “pig in a poke” time for Andrews Online Savings account holders back then. Some felt, since it’s only a lousy thousand bucks anyway, why not put an end to the foolishness, close the darn account, and be done with the annoyance.

But following too long an interval of time, Andrews began to publish the Online Saving interest rate after all. They stood behind their original offer of 5% APY on the first thousand bucks of liquid funds. And that status remains ongoing today.

My own Andrews OSA very nearly was closed back during the dark days. But that buck I left in the account, to keep it open, eventually blossomed following revelation the 5% on first thousand deal was holding. I’ll take 5% APY on liquid funds, even if it’s only a grand. I wonder how much longer this will last.

3 Likes

While that article certainly has a few traits of Shinobi’s posts here, dollars to donuts that it’s not him. I liked Shinobi’s writing more that Kaight’s. The post that you quoted seemed almost refined. I found Shinobi’s writing to be much more direct and fun to read.

I agree that he is missed.

4 Likes

Well we may never know for sure but here’s more evidence - another of Kaight’s recent posts at DA. Would be very coincidental that someone else would use “ETA” in the exact same way Shinobi always did!!!

Kaight | Feb 13, 2023

Hoping for a typo here:

Is that “$25,000 per member” perhaps actually “$250,000 per member”?

ETA

Just checked their website. There is no typo.

4 Likes

ETA is not overly common, but it’s not unheard of. If you can find more than one instance of “in the fullness of time”, I’ll be much more open to the possibility. :smile:

ETA: Please don’t think my comments are negative. I hope that it is him because that would mean he is okay.

3 Likes

Although if it is him and he presumably is ok, should we be offended that he abandoned us the way he did? :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve read some of the comments from Kaight and I don’t believe its our old friend shinobi. @shinobi wouldn’t abandon us without notice (if he’s still around). :((

1 Like