CD Discussion Thread

Those 5% brokered CDs from two weeks ago are now overpriced to the point of pushing their yield-to-maturities below 4.5% and some even under 4.3%.

I’m sure part of that pricing is the fact that such a premium is the only way to produce any supply (people owning these 5% CDs arent looking to sell them), but it still speaks volumes as to the value that 5% rate is perceived to have right now.

My large CD matured over the weekend, and I dumped 1/3 of the funds into a Cap1 5% offer that yields 4.95% - just because that was the most attractive option available. I’m holding the rest of the cash until the next round of primary offerings come out in the next couple days, hoping they at least hold at a 5% coupon rate.

2 Likes

can you just open multiples? https://www.andrewsfcu.org/Bank/Savings/Share-Certificates

Did you buy that Cap1 CD on the secondary market? Is it a 5-yr CD?

Where is Shinobi? Did he win the lottery? Or is he still mowing the lawn?

3 Likes

Yeah, a 5-year, secondary. It’s one of the primary offerings from a few days ago that sold out. What’s still available is down to a 4.75% YTM now, but TDAmeritrade still has it as the highest non-callable yield.

1 Like
2 Likes

And there it is - Discover’s new brokered option is at 4.9%, down from 5% last round (two weeks ago). And while I’ve never paid attention to how long these offers generally last to have a comparison, what is available seems to be going fast.

3 Likes

Ally No-Penalty 11mo CDs are now at 3.30% APY.

3 Likes

The long wait for 5+% CD’s seems to be on hold. I know many of you folks like bonds but I don’t have the interest.

I’m going to get the Numerica CU pretty decent offer. 48 Month 5%CD. My funds on hand now getting 3+% in savings seems to be loosing out.

I opened the Numerica CU account today and started the small deposits. So hopefully they keep the offer open until I have time to get $$’s deposited.

1 Like

Do you have a relative living in Washington?

I too PM Shinobi but no reply. Let us hope Shinobi is well and knows how much we appreciate and miss him.

3 Likes

Wish I have a way to join membership at Numerica, I would jump on this deal right away.
Rates seems to have fallen some. Have CD maturing at PSECU that Shinobi had recommended that needed a new place to go.

1 Like

Yes, I believe that Numerica CU has the best CD deal now. I’ve been searching high and low for a 5%+ with a fairly long maturity period.

I’m probably one of a few people that qualify for an account with them. Living on the west coast and having relatives in Washington and Oregon did help me qualify.

2 Likes

In the same boat. Probably going to have to take something in the 4.5% to 4.75% range and be happy with it. Unless there’s a black Friday special that comes along later this week.

1 Like

what is the Numerica cu offer? I do not see the original post for Numerica cu

Many people here are active readers of DA as well. This is likely where it was seen but could have been somewhere else.

Numerica Credit Union (WA/ID) Offers Top Rate On 48-Month CD (depositaccounts.com)

1 Like

We are going to see quite a few 5-yr 5% CDs in late Dec or Jan. If not then, there will be many next year. I fully expect to see CDs north of 5%.

Why do I say that? Because the Fed is telling us they are going to do 50 basis points in Dec and another 25 in Jan. They are also telling us they are not going to stop until they hit at least 5%. So if liquid savings account rates are 5%, there will have to be long-term CDs higher than 5%. No way the yield curve is going to invert to the degree where 5-yr CDs are lower than savings rates.

People have been panicking about rates since last Spring and they are still freaking out every time there seems to be a dip in rates. All you need to do is listen to what the Fed is telling you.

2 Likes

I regret locking in a 12mo. 3.5% 50K Ally CD for the promo now :frowning: I figured money would be there for 3 mo.s atleast for the promo

Long term rates have only decreased since the last Fed .75% increase. There inevitably will be some outlier offers that clear 5%, but I’m not confident 5% will become widespread.

Even today, Bankrate.com only lists ten 5-year CDs that exceed 4%. And brokered CDs issued in the 5% range are bid up enough to push the yield below 4.5%.

Nothing is directly correlated, of course, but an awful lot of people buying these 5-year CDs and Treasuries clearly do not expect rates to get much higher nor stay there for long.

2 Likes

Do what you want, Glitch. That’s what makes markets.