CD Discussion Thread

The time it was just easier to take 30 months over 48. I probably would’ve been better off going longer. To take the GTE I had to pull out the $$’s make a couple separate movements, etc.

They didn’t even do that. When I logged into the applicaiton page, it said application Denied. There was no contact. I even sent a message in the application software asking why it was denied. Maybe I have Chexsystems blocked?

They do use ChexSystems, so that could be it.

Interesting old account, AgFed CU, information just sent to me.

30-month No penalty CD Special, 4.45%, one penalty-free withdrawal, $250 min/$100k max.

I haven’t used this account for years. But I’m going to check it out.

3 Likes

I recall there was a user here who within the past couple years used to buy CD’s with credit cards…is that still a thing? I gotta hit minimum spend on some new credit cards and would find it useful to do some spending that way. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Don’t know what amount you’re trying to hit, but the CD buying, CD paper accumulating one has abandoned us, hopefully for non-health related reasons. The easiest way that I see to get a jump on your minimum spend is the PAMP oz that @turtlebug posted.

ETA: Yes, you can buy CDs with CCs at some institutions, but they’re few and far between.

Not the best deal in the world, but for non-taxable accounts, it’s a decent short term number …
17 Month 5.25%

It’s still a thing, but barely. There are very few options, and those options are limited as far as term and amount - either it’s limited to hundreds of dollars, or it locks up your money for a year+.

1 Like

USALLIANCE Financial has an 18-Month CD Special at 5.70% APY w/ $500 minimum deposit. Easy membership requirement.

2 Likes

Where does it say non-taxable?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Can you get your $$ back selling the PAMP locally or do you have to risk shipping it somewhere?

Edit: Looks like they are out. Maybe it was mispriced, lol

It doesn’t. I should have said that it’s a decent deal if you live in a non-income tax state (FL/TX/etc.). For me, in a taxable account, I’ll take T-Bills. The last one year Bills went out at 5.43%.

Ally 11mo No-Penalty CD now at 4.55% APY.

5 Likes

I’m going to go for the AgFed No penalty 30-month 4.45% CD.

I’m surprised to see 4-5% CD’s still available. Especially seeing no-penalty ones, it’s a good Savings Plan.

3 Likes

Is there any logic behid this decision that you’d like to add?

:+1: Yes, Use the account as a Savings guaranteed for 30 months. 4.45% is a half way decent rate even though I know there are higher savings rates but they could drop anytime. Makes sense to me! :wink:

Langley FCU has a large number of complaints at many sites: Wallet Hub, Better Business Bureau, depositaccounts, Yelp, Trustpilot, Credit Unions Online, etc. This doesn’t mean their CD might not be fine, but it suggests caution.

I have an NFCU add-on CD at 5% good through next April. Most of my savings are at Primis Bank at 5.1%.

Alliant CDs:

3 months 4.5%
6 months 4.75%.
12 months 5.0%
18 months 5.15%

3 Likes

Finworth (an online division of INSBANK) now has an 18-month CD at 5.52% APY w/$50k minimum/$240k maximum deposit per CD.

3 Likes

Northern Bank Direct has an 11-Month CD at 5.60% APY w/$500 minimum deposit & no stated balance cap. Note: Ownership – individual, joint, or trust & beneficiaries are not allowed.

3 Likes

Andrews FCU is offering a 7.5 month CD at 5.75% APY. 1K min/250K max. Anyone can join with ACC (American Consumer Council) membership.

3 Likes