CD Discussion Thread

Good news:

Hanscom’s 19 month CD special at 3.00% APY has survived the end of May and is holding, now showing a rate effectivity date of 6/1/2019.

How much longer will it be available? I dunno.

Here is the link to their rate page:

Hanscom rates

Also Thrive APY remains at 5.00%, as you can see.

2 Likes

MapleMark is currently offering competitive rates on its 24-month (3.00% APY) and 18-month (2.80% APY) Certificates, which require a minimum $25k opening deposit.

LINK

**edit to add (per Ken) -
" At this time, only checking and savings accounts can be opened online, but MapleMark is anticipating a “soft” introduction of a site-wide online application within the next two weeks.

Currently, opening a Certificate can be done through a combination of phone calls (866.698.5760) and email transactions. (Note: the phone number listed on MapleMark’s home page, 844.242.6980, isn’t operational.) After contacting the Bank, PDF versions of the New Account Details, the New Owner/Signer Information, and the ACH Debit Authorization forms will be sent via an encrypted email. Once completed, these three forms can be attached to the original email and will be automatically sent as encrypted email when you click on “Reply.”

Upon receipt of the completed documents, MapleMark will begin the account opening process and generate the necessary paperwork. The documentation will be sent via Docusign, an electronic document system that allows users to provide an electronic signature on forms

Certificates can also be opened in-branch at either of two Texas branches located in Dallas and Edgewood, or at the Tulsa, Oklahoma branch."

2 Likes

NASA Federal Credit Union is currently offering a 9 month special Certificate at 2.60% APY with a 10K minimum deposit. New funds must be deposited by June 30.

3 Likes

USALLIANCE Financial adds a 12mo CD Special at 3.00% APY. $500 minimum deposit - new money.

1 Like

I have an old USAlliance FCU CD 2% that matures 8/2019. Wish I could trade it in on this one. :disappointed_relieved:

Hughes Federal Credit Union (easy membership requirement) has a 36mo Jumbo CD at 3.10% APY ($99K req’d) or 36mo Mini Jumbo CD at 2.99% APY ($50K req’d)

LINK

Has anyone else already opened a USPS FCU membership in order to snag one of those 3.20% CDs?

If so, could you say how the application process went for you? Any problems?

Looks as if, right now, that remains one of the best deals out there.

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union has a 60mo CD at 3.25% APY. Easy membership requirement. $500 minimum deposit.

LINK

Well, I decided to follow my own advice and go for the slightly lower Hanscom yield instead. I have applied at Hanscom. It does not say so at their website, but the CU pays for your membership in one of the qualifying organizations. I selected the Air Force Association. I’m already a Navy League member owing to my NFCU membership, so now branching out.:grinning:

Anyway, hoping for the best. I do not expect their 19 month CD special at 3% to be around after the end of this month. I just hope it lasts that long! Was able to fund a mini-CD, 19 month, at time of account opening via CC. But without an account number, so far, am unable to get anything larger going.

USPS? I dunno. They freak me out a little. Still might open. We shall see.

ETA

I’m thinking we can kiss any shorter term 3% or 3+% CD good-bye after the end of this month. And I’m not prepared to make a five year commitment.

2 Likes

what was the max funding by cc? purchase or cash advance? thx

Max CC funding is $2K, and $25 of that has to be the savings account opener.

Dunno on the CA aspect. Depends on which card you use. I used my Alliant Visa and do not anticipate any trouble. But you NEVER know for certain until you try. If it should go through as a CA (cash advance) I will just pay that off quickly and move on.

USPS FCU
Cannot find reference to this cd… is this 5 year?

It is a two year CD at USPS, vs. the one at Hanscom which is only 19 months. Be certain to check the e-MISCA rates. I just checked and it is still available.

I went for the shorter maturity. Still am considering USPS, though.

Hmmmmm

Hey and do not ignore, at Hanscom, their cool Thrive account which pays 5% interest but is dollar limited. If I’m accepted at Hanscom, even if there is not time to open the larger CD I want, I will still be allowed to open a Thrive account. So it will not be a total loss even if I’m shut out of the big CD owing to lack of time.

I mean, what the heck, free money is free money. I’m in at DCU, at 6+%, for less money than a Thrive account allows. So I’m more than happy to take the 5% on the Hanscom Thrive account. Free is cheap.

I still have a couple add-on CD’s. United Bank (MA) 3.15% 6/15/20, & Ist. United CU 3.0% 10/6/20. These two will mature next year, then I’ll be out in the cold.

I think I may check in on the Hanscom 19mo 3%. Like shinobi said, we may not see any 3+% CD’s for the coming year. :disappointed_relieved:

e-MISCA rates means what?

MISCA is an acronym for Monthly Income Share Certificate Account, which is designed to,
transfer monthly dividend payments to your USPS FCU Share Savings or Checking Account as an income supplement.

Don’t feel bad for not knowing. Half the time shinobi posts, as much as his contributions here are appreciated, I spend the next half hour launching investigations into acronyms and trying to remember again who the hell Ken is.

2 Likes

How do you go about doing this? I selected the “am or will be joining” option, and it wasnt mentioned again during the application.

You did it right, glitch99. You select that option and then, in addition, make your pick from the four options mentioned in the drop-down menu.

I agree it is not stated anywhere in the application that they pay for you to join whatever organization you choose. When my rep mentioned this I challenged her twice . . just to be certain I was hearing her right. She insisted Hanscom will pay. So I was like: “Do not look a gift horse in the mouth” :grinning:

As always, it was only a single rep who told me Hanscom will pay. If I end up having to pay . . well . . I’m still OK with that. But so far I have not paid.

1 Like

Sorry if you had difficulty. I posted the link to USPSFCU eighteen days ago. On the linked page there is a place where it says “Rates”. You click on that and can see the rates straightaway. However:

Some with interest in the high yielding account were having difficulty finding mention of it on that rates page. This is why I added mention of need to be certain to look for their e-rates, which is where their special resides. Some people fail to do this and think the special has been cancelled.

I continue to have hesitation at USPSFCU and have not dived in. This means I’m most likely not gonna get the deal, what with their snail mail thing using up time between now and month’s end. They told me the rate likely will be good until then, but no promises after thirtieth of June. Probably will have regrets once it’s too late. But USPSFCU is just a little too quirky for me.

I still feel good with Hanscom, though. Hope I luck out there.

ETA

Probably should add above mention of 30 June is misleading. June ends on a Sunday. Hence, those interested in USPSFCU have only until 28 June, 29 June at the latest if USPSFCU even is open on Saturdays. I do not know about that.