CD Discussion Thread

I’m just a bit reluctant to put all my eggs in that GTE basket. I already have about $105k with them in that CD so adding the money from my penfed CDs would still fit under the NCUA insurance limit but I wouldn’t want them to go belly up and having to find a new home for that amount of money in the current rate environment. Or risk getting stuck with that interest rate for the next 3.5 years if inflation starts ticking back up.

Oceanview just introduced a 2-yr MYGA @1.75%. According to DA, the best nationally available 2-yr CD is just 1.04%. Oceanview is rated A- by A.M. Best.

1 Like

But you are already finding a new home for that amount of money in the current rate environment. Either you stash it in a liquid .5% account hoping rates will rebound, or you let it sit at 3.3% until they fail and you need to stash it in a liquid .5% account.

I have no concern about rates going up to the extend I’ll regret using the GTE add-on. The excess it’ll earn now will subsidize a lot of underperformance 3 years from now, if rates do go up that much.

1 Like

That what I was thinking as well. It’d take quite a bit of rate increases in the near future before I’d regret locking in 3.3% instead of the prevailing current rate for 3-4 yr term. Just nice to have others confirm that it’s not a stupid move. :slight_smile:

Yesterday’s CU Times carried an article on this “stuff” which mentions four credit unions that pay year-end bonuses:

Four CU opportunities for year end special dividend payments

2 Likes

Thanks… Is Empower the only one of the 4 you have? Do you have a CD or Savings there?

Yes, the only one. I have a CD there . . . . which matures this year.

Did any of you open an account with Sun East FCU? Probably 2-3 years ago.
At that time they offered 27 Mo CD Special 3.5%. I accepted & the CD’s mature in March, 2021.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Sun East FCU. Before your 27 Mo CD matures, pick one of the following exclusive renewal options:
13 Mo CD at 1.0% APY
27 Mo CD at 1.50% APY

I called & told them to renew my CD’s when they mature. Rate seems pretty good for now.

1 Like

Sure did

A lady from there telephoned me a couple of days ago and showed me that deal.

I had to explain to the lady what an add-on CD is. :wink:

So are your Sun East CD’s, add-on’s? If so, better deal…

I will be on the lookout for higher rates, but at this time “a bird in the hand”.

No

I needed to school the rep about add-on CDs so she could understand why it was I had no interest in her offerings, which are at far lower APYs than are my various add-on CDs. She was unfamiliar even with the concept of add-on CDs. Sun East does not offer them.

1 Like

Are you still adding on to your PA State CD’s?

No, goldendog. That stopped last fall. The dollar values were becoming too high and, perhaps more important, the maturity date became too close. I “shut 'er down” with maturity at (roughly) two years.

I have other, better, much lower maintenance, add-on CDs which will protect me out to 2024. After that, if interest rates have not improved by then, I’m gonna be in a world of hurt . . . . . . . assuming I’m even still alive in 2024. :grinning:

I’ll have to admit that shinobi was the smartest CD man around in past times

Yes, I jumped at all those 3-3.5% short term CD’s. I wasn’t thinking about going for add-on CD’s being more important. Well, our balloon burst last year & now I’m longing for any 1.5% rate or better now.

Really bad, for me, because though out 2021 I have many great CD’s maturing. :flushed:

1 Like

I have American Airlines CU that pays that year end dividends. They also had 5 year add-on cd’s at 3.25% that i opened a couple years ago. It maxes out at $50k.

There’s no workaround to get in though.

3 Likes

Reminder:

The Hanscom Thrive account remains available. It is a special one year CD paying 2% APY on a monthly donation basis. If you donate the maximum allowed $500/month you end up earning 2% APY on an average of $3000.

It’s not an RCA or anything akin. You do not need to buy anything at all.

You do have to get into Hanscom, and I know some participants here already have accomplished that. They didn’t want me as a member; turned me down flat when I sought entry. But most people will get in if they try . . . . not if you’re a reprobate, of course. :wink:

Anyway bottom line, 2% APY on one year money is not horrible in today’s CD marketplace.

1 Like

I have Hanscom FCU. Thanks for the info.
2% $500 mo.12 Mo CD. You won’t get rich, but I’m going to call tomorrow.

I also have a CD here that matures at the end of the month.

Sadly, down from 5% last year. I was sad to see the 2% renewal rate, but like you said … better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Yes, but I didn’t know about the 5%.
Called & had it set up today. Required also opening a checking acct.

Will not amount to much, but what else can one do with an extra $500 a month?

2 Likes

Hanscom FCU is nice. But, bad for me today, because it’s the end of a 3.5% CD. Not that the money I received is bad. I just transferred those funds to HIMMA+ 1.45%. :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like