CD Discussion Thread

Dave Brubeck was great. This Take Five CD deal is not too bad either:

Cal Coast CU is offering a “Take Five” CD deal. Anyone many join this credit union. Here is the deal, in detail:

Cal Coast Take Five CD deal

Please scroll down.

Be aware this CD deal, 5% on five grand for five months, is available to new members only.

On a personal note:

I always have enjoyed music, like Brubeck’s Take Five, in 5/4 time. Another example:

The theme from TV show Ben Casey.

Link to Ben Casey theme in 5/4

1 Like

So you basically get $100 for locking up $5k for five months?

1 Like

Any CalCoast member want to refer me to Cal Coast? We’d each get $50

1 Like

Sorry, zjts. I am not a CalCoast member.

Perhaps someone else?

Freedom CU offers 36 Mo CD 1.50%, 30 Mo CD 1.30%. $500 min deposit.
Question? Is this deal worthy of attention.

I have a Freedom CU CD now that will mature next week. I’m thinking about future prospects of CD rates ever moving upward. $$'s are now in Freedom & I could leave it there for 3 yrs @ 1.50%.

Or close the account, move the funds over to Keesler HIMMA+ @ 1.45%. Possibly rate could drop or not be offered later on…

Remember, these $$'s have been getting 3.50% for past times. :cry:

1 Like

I think rates are bottoming out right now. But who knows when they’ll rebound.

I think it’s time to look at offers like that 3yr/1.5%, or even 5 yr CDs, but pay close attention to the early withdrawal penalties. For some rates/fees, you only need to keep the CD a year or two to “break even”, then you can close it early should rates go up before it matures.

I do think we’re going to soon see long term CD rates go up a little. They’re still pricing in a falling rate outlook, but with things stablizing that downward bias should go away. To some extent.

3 Likes

Thanks glitch. I think I’ll go for it.

For persons interested in pattyb53’s Freedom CU (FCU) CD deal

If you live in certain states (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware) it is easy to gain entry into FCU for eight bucks by joining the ACC. You people know who you are.

For persons not living in one of those states, here is the link to FCU’s over 200 SEGs:

Get into FCU through an SEG

Please scroll down. It is a long list.

Note:

Of all the many credit unions where I’m an active member, FCU is the only one rated “A” by Weiss. An “A” rating from Weiss is a tough get right now. Even NFCU (Navy Federal) was downgraded to “A-” last time.

2 Likes

I’m pleased by the outcome of the Super Bowl. Tampa also is home of the reigning Stanley Cup champion, and the Tampa baseball team is champion of the American League.

As owner of a GTE Financial add-on CD I view the above, and perhaps the Super Bowl outcome in particular, as good for me personally because all are positives for the home region where my money currently resides.

While certainly not alone determinative, these sorts of championships contribute to the vibrancy and livability of a region. The latter enhance economic activity locally, attract visitors, and generally support a positive vibe. Thus in the wake of yesterday’s Super Bowl outcome, I am seeing GTE Financial’s prospects as slightly improved and marginally better supported than before. People like and are attracted to winners, and the Tampa Bay region’s sports teams are all champions.

Weiss upgraded GTE Financial last fall. It will be interesting to see whether it happens again next month, or perhaps more likely at the end of June.

Earlier last year I was thinking GTE Financial was drifting downward, given the pandemic and all. Now I am reconsidering. Maybe they will remain afloat after all. And if they do, well, that 3+% add-on CD is looking very sweet.

1 Like

I’m very envious of you & that GTE add-on CD. :cry: I have $5 setting there in savings just waiting for a GTE offer to come along, one of these days.

That Super Bowl outcome was so good. However, felt a little bad for the losers… I’ve heard Brady is a personal friend of Trumps, so maybe he got that winners call. :blush:

Ah! That explains Buffalo. … just kidding. I know that’s your neck of the woods. I was there, or nearby for all 4 Big Games (don’t want nfl ambulance chasers chasing me) and still remember the initial attacks on Norwood. It was nice to see a large sympathetic response after the initial one.

1 Like

No special CD deal here . . . . sorry. They are rare these days.

Instead just the sort of notice I post here from time to time to remind you this coming Monday, fifteenth of February, is President’s Day, a bank holiday. This gives rise to a three day weekend and opportunity to earn extra interest if you are moving money and play your cards right.

There will not be another such three day weekend, for bank purposes, until Memorial Day.

Had some extra funds drawing only 1.40% & not sure how long that rate will last.
This morning I opened Freedom CU 36 Mo 1.50% CD. Nothing else moving upward. :thinking:

1 Like

Has anyone done the Navy Federal 3% Special Easy Start Cert? I did it fort he max $3k, apparently if I split up the deposits i coudl have had a $30 bonus though. Whoops. Anyways, I have it set to go back to my checking account at the time of maturity. Has anyone been able to open a new one at the special rate or is this a one time thing?

I’m pretty sure you are limited to one of those “special” CDs at a time. When one matures, you can open another at whatever the prevailing rate is at the time.

2 Likes

Re: Easy Start

Be aware:

Certificate owner(s) age 18 and older must have Direct Deposit of Net Pay or payroll allotment and a Navy Federal checking account within 90 days of the certificate issue date. If these requirements have not been satisfied by the 90th day, your Special EasyStart Certificate dividend rate will be reduced to the prevailing dividend rate of the standard EasyStart Certificate for the remainder of the certificate’s term.

Nothing to be aware of, I already had my DD going there.

Perhaps there is for others considering this account. My post was for them.

2 Likes

According to DoC, NFCU is currently waiving this requirement: Navy Federal (NFCU) 3.50% APY CD ($3,000 Max) - Doctor Of Credit, which states: “Update 9/29/20: Readers report in the comments that NFCU is currently waiving the checking account/direct deposit requirement on the EasyStart certificate which makes it much easier to get.” I can confirm that my interest rate has not been lowered since I stopped my allotments.

3 Likes

Please note interest is currently being paid on new NFCU 12 month EasyStart CD accounts as follows:

Rate = 2.96%

APY = 3.00%

1 Like