CD Discussion Thread

Don’t think NFCU could fall without warning.

But I’m wondering about Keesler CU rating.

Maybe I miss spoke about AA ratings. I actually should pay more attention to the Bauer and/or Weiss. I usually depend on your readings. :blush:

use Presidential bank. @5k max for 2.25%. Open 2 accts. (family member)Caveat, 1) needs DD of 500 monthly, and 7 small BP also monthly.

1 Like

meant 25k max

2 Likes

infamous HM Bradley’s 3%! Why infamous. I have had it for over 1year and got 3.5% but dropped to 3% jan ! due my SS less then 2500… Life is a crap shoot, especially in this environment. So far so good. Also bank bonuses are lucrative and you can do in pj’s from home. I just did Axos 100. bonus after fake DD of 1k. Got bonus in four days. Did the DCU for 6.17% interest up to 1k. (opened 4 accts for family. Dont care about the req. 5 bp monthly. Im retired!!. I paid Comcast/NYSEG/AMEX less than 2.00 from their required checking acct and all accts got 100.00 referral bonus. Referree got 50.00. This acct is fantastic for MSing. They seem to accept postal and grocery store MO mobile deposits. One Post Office MO was denied.Reason did not write "for DCU mobile deposit on the back. Did it and went through!!

1 Like

Bauer updated its credit union ratings overnight last night. Bauer ratings now reflect Q3 2021 data right across the board. In particular, Bauer has awarded:

Navy Federal Credit Union five stars

GTE Financial four stars

Here is a link to the Bauer page:

Link to Bauer

At this point it appears Ken continues to be having problems with some of his ratings. As for Weiss:

Nothing yet. Weiss ratings are still based on the old Q2 2021 data.

1 Like

I’m impressed… First time at checking out these reports. Thanks :blush:.

Negligence on my part. But I’m happy to see Keesler CU is ok :white_check_mark:.

1 Like

Hey Shinobi,
I may not be doing it right, I cant seem to to check PSECU on their rating using the Bauer link.
Appreciate if you have any infor on them. Checking for older couple if it is safe for them to put more than the insured NCUA amount. Thanks!

PSECU comes up readily on Bauer. However, you must type in the institution name as “Pennsylvania Service Employees Credit Union”. In fact if you just type “Pennsylvania Service” it’ll pop right up.

PSECU has a five star rating at Bauer. Ken awards them the rating of “A”. Both of those are current as of end of Q3. Weiss’s PSECU rating Is “B+” as of end of Q2. Weiss still has not posted ratings based on Q3 data. A “B+” rating from Weiss is an excellent rating. However, you might want to wait a short while for Weiss’s updated Q3 rating, just in case. It should be out any time now.

It is never a good idea to exceed the NCUA insured limits. Period.

However if you want to know my opinion, free and worth every penny, I do not foresee PSECU failing at this time. Just the same, “stuff happens”. Anybody who exceeds NCUA limits cannot do so and then just walk away and hope for the best. In that situation you have to watch for adverse news constantly and monitor the ratings each quarter for “slippage”. If your older friends are not in a position to do that stuff, or are not of a mind to do that stuff, that is a double reason not to exceed NCUA limits.

Obviously more NCUA insurance can be had via various means, naming beneficiaries and so forth. I’m confident you’re already well aware of those options so not gonna insult you by going through all of them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, Shinobi! Will pass the infor along. They have no children so no beneficiary. Have suggested they take a look at current I-Bond at 7.12%.

I continue to be thankful for your post on the PSECU add on CD as I continue to add to my CD every month. Sadly, this will come to an end next Sept. Hopefully, something good will come along next year.

Many Thanks everyone for your post and kindness to share and help.
Wishing everyone a Good Christmas with your family!

3 Likes

Glad it is working out for you. However if I recall correctly from a pre-pandemic time, it was @scanchain who actually schooled me, and quite possibly everyone else, on the PSECU add-on CD. I remember it was difficult for me to understand the PSECU deal at first, but with @scanchain’s help I finally caught on.

I abandoned the PSECU CD a while back, thinking it was too short . . . shorter than my other add-on CDs. Course that was before the current runaway inflation. Now all my add-on CDs, and even most of my side hustle CDs for goodness sake, are under water.

So maybe by having remained short you will end up a winner . . . if rates rise fast enough, I mean. I don’t anticipate that will happen. But I didn’t foresee this inflation, either. :frowning:

1 Like

Only in the topsy-turvy world of govt does the Fed Reserve chief get rewarded with another term after failing miserably to get ahead of inflation by clinging to the transitory fantasy far longer than was warranted by any reasonable interpretation of the data.

2 Likes

Or … that’s the payoff for “clinging, as long as possible” to the transitory fantasy for an unreasonably long time.

2 Likes

Not wanting to put words in your mouth, but if they truly don’t have godchildren or other (@fatty) desired beneficiaries, may I suggest they use an animal shelter as a POD, for their joint account. I don’t suggest it for individual accounts unless they’re so comfortable that a 250k loss isn’t going to hurt.

ETA, if they’re unaware of deserving animal rescue organizations, I’ve got two verifiable ones handy, and more if needed.

Hi Honkinggoose,

They are immigrants. No godchildren. Siblings, nieces and nephews are all non US citizen or PR and are all overseas. So no SS# for beneficiary.

An animal shelter as a POD is the first I have ever heard. One learns something new everyday which is why I love and really appreciate this site and the infor everyone shares so kindly.

The funds are for retirement so money they don’t want to loose that.

2 Likes

Hey Shinobi,
I too wished that it was for longer term but with the interest rate declining so quickly then, I was just happy and grateful to lock into anything with a decent rate. We all do the best we can and hope for the best. Hopefully when the CD matures next sept, the I-bond will have a good rate as we all can see interest rate doesn’t look like it will rise fast enough.
Always appreciate your thought! :slightly_smiling_face:

This relates to interest rates and is pursuant to posts above from @goldendog and from @fatty and I guess from myself as well:

The Fed this afternoon concluded the latest FOMC meeting and announced the new taper rate to commence next month. Big whoop:

They will cut back asset purchase from 90 billion$/month to “only” 60 billion$/month, while leaving interest rates unchanged. The announced purpose of this Fed action:

Fighting inflation

For us savers, in my view, it’s a joke. How can you tell? Well, the stock market steadied and rose on the news. The higher interest rate environment CD investors seek is anathema for the stock market. If the stock investors are happy and relieved, and they are, we CD folks are screwed. And we are.

Here is a link to the CNBC story about all this:

CNBC covers outcome of FOMC meeting

Listening now live to the Powell speech:

He projects inflation will still be running at 2.6% at the end of 2022.

Also as followup to the above:

Powell clarified in his spoken remarks that the Fed will continue to reduce its asset purchases, month by month, after January. This will mean that by March asset purchases per month will be down to zero.

Powell is now adding that the Fed will NOT increase rates until the taper is ended. This means no interest rate increases until March at the earliest.

Okay then. Let’s try something else. Just by using their individual and joint accounts, they can get up to a million in coverage, for CDs alone, with more coverage if they’ve got some in IRAs. If they need more than that, maybe check out an additional financial institution.

Play around with the Electronic Share Insurance Calculator. You may be surprised at the different ways to insure your/their funds.

1 Like

I am very disappointed to be sharing this information, regarding financial institution health ratings, now only a week out from Christmas eve. I thought the situation would be better. But this is what it is:

First, Ken still has not correctly updated all of his ratings. He continues, for example, to show NFCU with an erroneous “C-” rating.

Second, Weiss still has not updated his health ratings with Q3 2021 data. I thought by now that new information would be available, and I was wrong. Nevertheless I believe (and I hope) the new Weiss ratings could appear literally at any moment.

Their most recent data is stuck on a container ship :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

PenFed:

• 1.00% APY for 15 Months
  • 0.85% APY for 1 Year

https://www.penfed.org/accounts/money-market-certificate

3 Likes