CD Discussion Thread

That’s probably decent for what’s presently available, but …
Holy *$#%)(&@!! :upside_down_face:

7 Year Term - 1.50 % APY*

Appreciate the infor and link, Honkinggoose! Will pass the infor along. Sure to will be useful infor in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do not like, or enjoy one bit, being wrong. But boy the above certainly was wrong. Christmas is now upon us. Nevertheless:

If your CD is in a credit union, and you care about the health of your credit union, you will have to settle for the Bauer star ratings which are solid at this point.

Some of Ken’s credit union ratings are probably OK, but he still has not fixed whatever went wrong with his NFCU rating and possibly others. Who knows? Who can tell for certain?

But the big miss by me is Weiss Ratings. I was sure they would have their credit union ratings for Q3 2021 completed by now. They do not. When? Obviously I’m an unreliable source for that information. Keep your fingers crossed.

On the bank side things are different. But how many of us have our CDs in banks? For me the count is zero. Regardless, all three services have updated their bank ratings in accord with Q3 2021 data. But it is the credit union ratings most of us really need, and they are not all available.

The Weiss Ratings credit union ratings have been updated and now reflect Q3 2021 data:

Link to Weiss Ratings

1 Like

Empower FCU coming through during the overnight last night, 2021 into 2022, with a sweet 10% bonus dividend on everything earned there during 2021.

I wish all credit unions had similar bonuses. :wink:

(but of course they do not)

1 Like

This is posted as information for participants here who own add-on CDs at GTE Financial in Tampa. You people know who you are. Others can safely skip and ignore the following:

From Zillow: Why Tampa will be 2022’s Hottest Market

As you know, Weiss most recently awarded GTE their “B-” safety rating for Q3 2021. This was a “no change” situation. I also should mention that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have had a good season and will easily make the NFL playoffs.

Tampa is clearly a vibrant region of Florida and, indeed, of the USA. It’s a place smart people want to be. This should mitigate favorably for the future of GTE Financial. And most of us care only about another two plus years of “future” anyway. After that our CDs will mature and we are on our own when it comes to reinvesting the money.

But for these next two years I am keeping close watch on Tampa and hoping for the best there. So far so good. :wink:

1 Like

Yes indeed… but sorry :cry: I’m not involved with GTE Financial. I’m not sure how I missed out on those “add on CD’s”.

But I’m closing a 3 year 3.5% CD that matured today. When checking just now the CU had already renewed it for another 3 years @ 1.0%.

I’m having them close that new CD and move the funds to savings. Now where to place those $$$??

First of all I’m going to ACH funds to TIAA. There is Savings @ .50% I know it’s low but need thinking :thinking: time.

Any suggestions?

Mine was a “tough get” back when it first was offered. I very nearly missed out because I needed to raise $100k to get the rate and I really didn’t have that kind of dough at the time without “squeezing the buffalo” mercilessly. I recall opening the account but not funding it. Finally enough time passed to where I was just able to come up with the big money right before they pulled the deal. And of course once that happened such a CD deal never came back. So I got in by the skin of my teeth.

Sounds smart to me. That is what I would do. Three years at only 1% APY does not sound attractive to me, depending of course on the early withdrawal penalty.

Interesting. That rate is actually lower than the current Alliant savings rate. And I assumed TIAA was higher.

But that is for a different thread. Regarding CDs, there are scant few deals out there today I would find attractive. But everything depends on the EWP (early withdrawal penalty) since many people are assuming CD interest rates could ascend from here. Course nobody can say for certain what will actually happen where interest rates are concerned. But you do not want to enter into a CD deal where it is too costly to change your mind down the line.

1 Like

Presidential bank @ 2.25% onlu up to 25k. P1 and P2. But some hoops. %00 DD monthly .Alliant works and 7 BP. I do tiny By to Elec Com and Comcast, around 1.25.Plus a few CC pay. So far so good for 3 months. My wife and I have separate accts for 25k. The DD will put you over the limit buy I xfer out to Toyota notes at 1.35 but now lower I think. And my family has 4 DCU accts at 6.17% up to 1k. Also hoops. Just 5 BP monthly. Im retired so I have time to manage all this. Sons have all their $ in stocks, made about 9% for the year overall. Made 11% last year and that is just them reading financial news and Bloomberg TV. No need for paid advice. My dog could pick better stocks! My big problem is what to do with 85K from Bradley come 2/1/22. I only have a 2200 SSecurity DD. You need 2500 as of 1?1?2022. Im still getting 3% till 1/31. Have to check what it reverts to as of 2/1.

1 Like

need to proofread. Presidential is 500.00 DD monthly. Tiny BP. And my NYPD pension uses a 1970 pension online system. No way to change DD to Bradley, even in person. its not recognized by their system and no option to add manually. Im stuck with pension deposits to Citi for past 2 years.

1 Like

See above the personal savings rate as plotted over time. It is hopeful to note the very latest number, 6.9% as of 11/2021, which is a return to pre-pandemic savings levels.

With luck the banks and credit unions will not be so flush with cash going forward, which leaves room for CD interest rates to rise a bit.

1 Like

Yes, as everyone is interested in % rates to make a comeback later in the year.

I’m thinking about Langley FCU offering a 14 mo CD 1.25%. It’s short term and fairly decent rate. I’m one of the people that will be losing my 1.40% Kessler HIMMA Plus early February.

But opening Langley FCU was the easy part. It’s taken a couple days to sit up ACH small deposits. It’s almost impossible to get a hold of someone on the phone. So I reverted to email messages & did receive an answer to some of my questions.

Seems like a person is only allowed one of those 1.25% CD’s. So I’m planning to get a pretty large amount of $$’s into the Savings account beforehand. Then my idea is to open the CD.

Problem is will it still be available when I get my money collected?

As earlier I’m waiting on suggestions from our folks for placement of maturing funds… :blush:

1 Like

IMHO, if your Himma+ ends in February, the difference in rates isn’t worth risking. Move it out of Keesler into Langley ASAP. That’s what I’m doing with my remaining Keesler funds as soon as I open accounts at Langley.

And 3 more orphan accounts to keep track of. :frowning:

These AFB CUs seem to rotate the best deals/rates. Hanscom, Keesler, and now Langley. Although 1.25% is nothing to crow about, it’s one of the better insured, guaranteed rates around. Thank you for pointing it out.

Got $$'s out of Kessler HIMMA Plus account. Some money still there for later uses.

But I’m now the holder of that Langley 14mo 1.25% CD.

Actually accomplished pretty easily. After your new funds are secured in the Langley savings account, you must contact an agent to open the CD. HARD!!!

Langley does not answer the phone. But I found out by message to call when they open up at 8:00 am.
So at 5am (for me) I was up and on :telephone_receiver: call. Sure enough got to talk to a real person…

2 Likes

Just as a point of reference for those interested in fully insured five year certificates of deposit:

Note the yield to maturity there is currently 1.3818%. And a five year T-note is every bit as safe as a CD, if not more so, and highly liquid.

1 Like

“Five year T-note is every bit as safe as a CD”
As long as you hold it to maturity.

3 Likes

I disagree with this. T-notes are dollar safe so long as you own them. Of course their cash out values will vary depending on prevailing interest rates. For example:

If you purchase a T-note at today’s prevailing interest rates, and if thereafter interest rates generally rise, then should you decide to sell your T-note before maturity its worth will be less than what you paid. But that is not a safety concern, it is instead market risk.

“Safety” concerns would be triggered should, for example, Congress decree the USA will not honor our debt obligations. Such a default, should the problem not be timely remedied, would be an example of loss of safety. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with holding a bond to maturity. Real safety issues could happen at any time during the life of your T-note should the USA default on our (admittedly massive) debt.

1 Like

Yeah, the interest rate risk is akin to the early redemption penalty on a CD. The only difference being that you know up front what that penalty will be.

It’s a good point. CD aficionados considering purchase instead of US Treasury obligations at their website, or other govvies (e.g., Federal agency bonds) from a broker, or even TVA paper, need to compare outcomes should need arise to cash out early.

But when it comes to safety, all these sorts of US government backed entities are pretty much, technical arguments aside, equally safe. And that is one reason I decided to mention T-notes here and why I posted the above chart. The dollar safety of all this stuff is an apples to apples comparison.

1 Like

With inflation running at 7%, not sure about locking myself in a 1.38% 5-yr treasury. It could be severely underwater in a couple of years if interest rates get back to anywhere normal.

2 Likes