CD Discussion Thread

Anyway, who really cares, as long as we find out the best rate’s available.

So I discovered a pretty good chunk of available $$’s in a savings account only drawing .60%. :thinking:

I’m trying to decide between two offers with which to place those funds.
Ag Fed 18 mo 2.60%. OR Langley 33 mo 3.25%.

Looking for suggestions?

At this point, transfer it to Bask at 1.6%, and wait a couple weeks for the next Fed meeting.

2 Likes

Right now, TD Ameritrade has brokered CDs available, 1 year at 2.65% and 2 years at 3.2%. They also have callable CDs for 3%/3.5% for those same terms,

1 Like

Navy Federal CU has a 33 month CD at 2.6%, min 1k, max 100k. Not a great rate, but they allow additional deposits so might be worth the $1000 to have options if rates don’t look as good 18 to 24 months from now.

5 Likes

Seeing the same CD situation at Vanguard: Trade ETFs, stocks, Vanguard funds, and non-Vanguard funds

But the most interesting to me about that link is Treasuries seem to beat CDs for anything under 2 years.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I have a large CD maturing later in the fall, and this will lock in a minimum rate I’ll be able to roll it into. I dont see rates flipping that much that soon, but interest on the $1k minimum is negligible regardless.

Reminder:

This (Wednesday) afternoon, one week hence, we will learn the new Federal Funds rate.

If they raise only 75 basis points I anticipate inflation lasting longer.

If they raise a full 100 basis points, or one percentage point, I envision inflation will be foreshortened.

We will know in one week.

1 Like

Navy federal has a 2.57% 33-month add-on CD. $1000 to open 100k max, can add any amount at any time up to the max.

I’m going to open with the minimum, the rate will probably look better when it gets closer to maturity.

1 Like

One American Bank has a 9-month 3.01% CD special. $5k minimum.

It is kind of telling that their 11- and 25-month specials are both under 2%.

2 Likes

The above is actually from the latest Barrons. But am using that Canadian website to get you around the Barrons paywall.

3 Likes

And Barron’s proves they have no Canadian editors. Gretzky was the “Great One”, not the “Big One”.

Other than the above faux pas, they make for some interesting opinions.

Well, guys:

This is it.

Big day today at the Fed. Watch for their announcement this afternoon.

3 Likes

75 basis points, which will not provide any clarity about what is going to happen with inflation, interest rates and markets.

3 Likes

Exactly. This is the result of all of the media reporting of a hard landing, and it is doing what it was intended to do. I hold out hope for a full point, but give the odds at less than 50 percent. :frowning:

Market is giving 3/4 chance of 0.75%, with a 1/4 chance of 1%

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/countdown-to-fomc.html

2 Likes

Interesting. No chance of half a percent.

Treasure yields remain steady right around 3%, despite what now totals 1.5% in rate hikes.

2 Likes

Decent interest rate here on an NPCD:

Eleven month NPCD pays 2.00% APY

You need at least $1000 to get it going.

Disclaimer:

Info only. I have not done this deal. If interested do your homework.

1 Like

Sometimes a little patience pays - this 33-month special CD now offers a 3.3% rate.

4 Likes

MyeBanc has a 3-year CD for 3.5%.

Rates are creeping slowly towards that 4% mark we were promised ( :wink: ), but it is concerning how the treasury rates have actually fallen following the last 3/4% FED increase. And long term (5 year) CDs still seem to be lagging.

Feels like people arent sure quite where the increases are going to top off at - but they’re pretty sure that we are getting close, and whereever that top is, it isnt going to stay there for long.

3 Likes