CD Discussion Thread

Do what you want, Glitch. That’s what makes markets.

Think about it this way. Today, the Federal Funds rate is 3.75% to 4% and there are plenty of CDs higher than 4%. Are you telling me if the Fed pushes the rate to 5%, there will be no CDs higher than 5%. That doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

If anyone want to go wayyyy long, TDAmeritrade has a new 11 year, non-callable CD at 5.25%.

It’s almost tempting, just for the long term stability. But I’m holding back some funds to capture the big increases still to come per goldendog :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

same here. We might be going back to 80’s style rates. What was the highest CD rate waayyy long rate then?

I have mentioned it here before that I bought a 10 year 14% CD in the early 1980s in an IRA. The principal quadrupled by the time it matured.

2 Likes

wow! Wonder how that would do these days (I’d be happy with half that!). The flip side is someone paid 18% for a mortgage :wink: I doubt with Fed. deficit being in the trillions now we will ever see those rates again.

Smart that you did it in a IRA, although no Roth back then right?

If only it were an add-on. :pleading_face:

The fifth word is what gives me pause about 5%+ in the next 9 months. While I hope the fed knows that they have to get inflation reigned in pronto, I have doubts that they will stand firm in the face of a potential hard landing.

1 Like

These are bonds, not CDs, and they’re issued by big banks like JPM or Goldman. So there’s some credit risk, but not much. This site reports on their recent issues and you can see how their rates are for comparison.

https://www.us-mtns.com/fixedRateDeals

1 Like

I decided to swap a portion of my 5-year 5% CD holdings (which I can currently sell at a 1% premium over what I paid just a couple weeks ago) for some of this 11 year 5.25% offer. But by the time I could get a bid on my sale, the 11 year CDs were no longer available to buy. (Edit: Actually, it looks like they edited the listing to “Callable”, and they’re still available. They clearly said “Non-Callable” last night.)

Maybe I should sell and capture the premium regardless, but these are my hedge against the risk goldendog is wrong.

2 Likes

trading CDs…hmm

Broker fees?

No fees per se. But there is a [relatively large] spread compared to stocks. That CD I could sell for a 1% premium ($101 sale price) can only be bought for $102.5. So actively trading isnt much of an option, but there are times when it is advantageous to swap one for another.

2 Likes

My mortgage was 12%. No Roth afaik

2 Likes

USALLIANCE Financial 11-Month No-Penalty CD at 4.00% APY. Minimum deposit $500. Easy membership requirement.

1 Like

11 year CD’s… even at 5.25%… Imagine your life 11 years from now!! Good beneficiaries set up??

Just joking, but even 10 years of aging is questionable, sometimes… :))

7% might be terminal rate?

Unless you’re an ageless, fit, handsome goose. :rofl:

OTOH, my wife says I have to stop asking for the good-lookin discount and start asking for the old-age discount. Can you believe it … from my own wife. :frowning:

To stay semi-on-topic, just make sure there is a POD on the account.

4 Likes

It might be, at less than 1-in-10 odds. Sadly, the opinion of the author of that article is in the vast majority and will overwhelm the lily-livered fed. At least that’s my expectation, and I’m betting on it. Although I hate to lose money, it would make me feel better for my grandchildren if they raised rates until people realized the danger of the national debt.

3 Likes

If you patiently pause for 5-6 months, I suspect you will capture a better premium. … but I make no guarantees. Uh. I’ll re-word that to “past performance is no guarantee or hint of future performance”.

1 Like

Post was deleted by the author.

2 Likes