CD Discussion Thread

That was a nice 5% CD.

My Keesler CD matured today and I was planning to go for another Numeria 5% .It’s GONE,so I’m on the lookout again for placement of these funds. Actually pretty good :blush: Liquid Funds are popping up now.

1 Like

What do you think :thinking: about
Utah First FCU 22 month 5% CD…?

I think that at this point you wait until the new year to see if those 5% long term CD offers materialize like goldendog expects.

1 Like

For those with CDs at Navy Federal, they have an undocumented policy that’s been going for a while but no guarantee it’ll continue. They’re waiving the Early Withdrawal Penalty if you want to close a CD to open a new CD, as long as the new CD maturity date is later. Call or message to verify and roll over.

5 Likes

Ally 11mo No-Penalty CDs now at 3.50% APY.

5 Likes

My eBanc is offering 5.23% APY on a 12-month or 18-month CD. 5K minimum opening deposit.

5 Likes

This morning I noticed my Inova FCU is advertising 17-month 5.50% CD special. So I’m checking this one out.

I’ve been a member for a few years but haven’t used account since I don’t when. Looks like it’s still open with 0 balance. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This deal has now EXPIRED! That was quick!

1 Like

Inova FCU, 17 mo 5.5% CD didn’t last long enough for me to manage getting ACH funds collected and deposited. By Thursday :star_struck: I called ready to open that CD. Imagine, no longer available… 5-6 day offer.

However Inova agent offered 14 mo 5.1%. I waited until Friday thinking :thinking: negotiating. Nothing 5% available on Friday!!

Agent said supervisor would be back 12/27 and she’ll give me a call. When all was said and done, I said rather than waiting… Remember, “you made an offer Thursday”?

So I ended up with 14 mo 5.1% CD. I guess I’m satisfied. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Where have brokered CDs from Discover, Cap1, Amex been? Or have they been selling out extremely quickly, before I can check to see them? All fall, these banks were issuing new batchs regularly, both at the beginning and midway through each month. But as far as I’ve seen, Discover’s last release was mid-November.

1 Like

I’m still not seeing any new issues, but secondard market 4-5 year CDs have crept back over 4%. And there’s a lot more available than over the past couple weeks.

Perhaps people are starting to capture the premium (that drives the 5% APR down to a 4% yield) by selling, expecting to be able to reload at similar rates in the next couple months?

1 Like

Just received an email from Navy Federal CU that on January 9, they will be offering a Special 15 Month Certificate at 5.00% APY. No information as of yet regarding minimum deposit requirement.

**edit to add - I contacted NFCU and they stated that the minimum deposit is $50 and maximum is $250,000 for the above mentioned CD. The Special CD offer may run through April and the CSR stated that it will be an add-on CD.

6 Likes

NFCU 15-mo Special CD now available.

Limit one Special 15-Month Certificate (Share Only) per member. This offer, including the stated Annual Percentage Yield (APY), is effective as of January 9, 2023. Navy Federal reserves the right to end or modify this offer at any time. Excludes IRA and ESA certificates. The Special 15-Month Certificate (Share Only) has a $50 minimum balance and a $250,000 maximum balance. Additional deposits are allowed at any time, subject to the maximum balance. Dividends earned are not included in the maximum balance allowed. Once the promotional rate is applied to a purchased certificate, it will remain in effect for the length of the product term. Penalties apply for early withdrawals from certificate accounts. Other restrictions may apply.”

1 Like

Navy Fed’s page says the 15 month will be offered until 4/30 so no rush.

But as reported earlier, they could modify their offer at any time. Doesn’t hurt to open one of these 15 mo. 5% CD’s with a small balance.

1 Like

But if you open it with $50 now and close it at the end of April you’ll forfeit $0.83 of interest!

Yeah, you’re right, going to open.

Edit: and if their policy of waiving EWP continues I won’t even be out the $0.83. Mine is opened now, very easy once I found the right button in the app

1 Like

Same here… $200 deposited 5% CD with add-on abilities.
Folks have been predicting cd rates will go up, if they don’t we’re set for 15 months @ this rate. :))

2 Likes

Regarding Navy Federal CU and waiving of EWPs (early withdrawal penalties) -

I opened a 15 month CD Special yesterday with $50. Today I contacted a rep via online chat and she agreed to roll over the funds I have in existing 3% and 3.5% CDs expiring 7’24 and 10’24 with no EWPs. She did so in a few minutes while I waited and now all of the funds are in the 5% CD expiring 4’24.

8 Likes

Thanks so much for all your information. I’m in the same boat. Just finished changing my old 5yr 3+% CD’s into ONE 15 mo 5% CD.

Too bad these new CD’s are such short term. :blush:

2 Likes

For those that can’t qualify for NFCU 15mo CD, UNIFY Financial Credit Union now offers a 15 mo Certificate Special at 5.00% APY w/$500 minimum deposit and they allow one additional deposit within 30 days of opening. Easy membership requirement (thru Friends of Hobbs, a non-profit state park, and according to the CU’s online application, “We pay your contribution to Friends of Hobbs.”)

5 Likes