CD Discussion Thread

I want to do this with a 4.8% GTE CD that has 48 months remaining, but the EWP I’m quoted is a wash with what the additional .6% would gain over the term.

I believe your GTE CD has 180d EWP?

Is your wash comparing with 4 years at 5.4%? May still be marginally worthwhile, only because it extends the 5.4% by a year.

1 Like

RE:" [Share Certificate Special | Securityplus Federal Credit Union ]
(8-Month Share Certificate Special | Securityplus Federal Credit Union | Baltimore, MD)
Up to $50k at 6% for 8 months. Edit - Oops - appears expired."

any try to actually get this offer now?

I think that’s sound. $5 to open +$10/month is nothing. Even after 2-years of $10 additions, you’ll only have $250 in the CD. The lost interest on that is a small insurance premium for having the option to take advantage of that rate in a few months. I have some 5.5% CDs maturing in early 2026. Who know if I’ll be able to find a 3-yr 4.25% CD then. Probably why they put that $100k restriction in.

2 Likes

State Department Federal Credit Union is offering a 15-Month Jumbo CD Special at 5.41% APY w/100k minimum deposit & no stated balance cap. Easy membership requirement through ACC (American Consumer Council).

1 Like

Scanchain,
Is Advancial location limited for membership? Hv also logged in NASA 49 cd looking to break and get the Advancial. Appreciate your feedback on ease of opening account with Advancial. TQ!

Currently, anyone can join Advancial FCU through U.S. Dog Agility (free). I suggest you review the following (and the comments)

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/advancial-cu.html#promo55239

After your membership is set up, the quickest way to fund the CD is to push the money to Advancial. I wired the money to Advancial using Fidelity (both no fees).

Thank you for the quick reply, Scanchain! The link is very helpful.

Advancial has dropped their rates. The best rate is now 5.01% for 5 years ($50k+), down from 5.4%.

…and I’d just convinced myself the hassle of moving another tranche of money there was worthwhile, even if it pinched my immediate liquidy. Now, not so much.

2 Likes

Damn I was waiting on some T-bills maturing in March to get another round of CDs with them. 5.01% for 5-yr CD isn’t terrible for sure but not as mouth-watering at 5.4%.

Life Credit Union (Life CU) has an 18mo CD at 5.35% APY w/1K minimum deposit. Easy membership requirement through American Consumer Council (ACC).

2 Likes

T Bank has a 13-month CD Special at 5.50% APY w/1K minimum opening deposit.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I just sent in an application Joined the USDAA. I’m joining for the credit card which has 0% for 12 months and no balance transfer fee. The rewards are only 1% so not worth it for purchases, but I may do balance transfers.

3 Likes

Holy smokes, it’s not just no fee BT and 0%, it’s “0.00% for first 12 mo of each balance transfer” and that’s an ongoing feature, not just an intro promo :exploding_head:.

How generous are their credit lines? :money_mouth_face:

Actually this bank is nuts. The CC disclosures are dated 2017, and the CC APR isn’t tied to prime rate like all other CC issuers. Is this right?

1 Like

That’s probably an error.

In several other places it states:

" 0% intro APR for the first 12 months…"

“0.00% for twelve billing cycles from the date of account opening.”

I saw that for purchases, but the terms are different for BTs.

Does anyone else find it annoying that a lot of these banks and CU’s will default to auto-renewal and give you a limited time to opt out?

Annoying? I guess a little. But I assume overall it’s the preferred default.

Imagine the outrage when CD money is moved to a no interest checking instead of being renewed at the prevailing rate? Not to mention how people will spend the money simply because it appears in their account, then bitch how they’ve lost their savings. Financial responsibility isn’t strong with lots of the population.

BluPeak’s promo CD’s which are 4%-5%+, auto-renew at the standard Certificate rates which are significantly lower. Term Certificates | BluPeak Credit Union

Of course i can’t complain too much, I bought all my Blupeak CDs with credit card to hit a sign up bonus.

Well, check it out!