County not accepting online property tax payments due to cyber attack

I go online to pay a tax bill due on the 31st and I see this message that they are only accepting checks, https://www.washco-md.net/treasurers-office/ Apparently they were subject to some hack, https://www.washco-md.net/news/washington-county-cybersecurity-incident-official-update-december-12-2022/ I suppose I can send a check or use my bill pay but it won’t get there in time. Do you think they will impose a late fee or penalty? Not a large amount but annoying nothing the less.

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Sounds like something you should call them about. I’d bet that if this situation happened with a dozen different counties, it’d be handled a dozen different ways - some with slight differences, and some drastically different. There really isn’t any general knowledge to be gained, the only people with the right answer is those working in this specific county’s office.

1 Like

If you have paid online in the past, then include a picture of the web site with your check. If at all possible get the check in the mail with a postmark with today’s date.

1 Like

Called but it goes to voicemail. Haven’t got a reply since this morning. They must be swamped with messages.

If the office is open today, go and pay in person?

They’re swamped with being away for the holidays :christmas_tree: :santa:

1 Like

110 miles round trip. Probably cost me more in gas than whatever the late penalty might be.

Friday ain’t a holiday. Mail man came.

1 Like

Ours are due 1/3 due to holidays. Sure you’re Sun. 1/1?

1 Like

You got me, I’ve been watching too much British TV. I think “holiday” means “vacation” over there.

Due 12/31.

Property Tax Payment Info

Property Tax Payment Dates

Payments for annual bills and the first installment for semiannual bills must be received on or before September 30th to avoid penalties and interest. The second semi-annual installment payment must be received on or before December 31st to avoid penalties and interest.

When are taxes due?

• First half taxes are due Saturday, October 1, 2022 , and delinquent after Tuesday, November 1, 2022 . If you miss the first half payment date you may pay the full year amount by December 31 without incurring interest.

Mine says that too, but the bill had 1/3/23

First Half is due 10/1/2022
Interest penalty after 5PM on 11/1/2022
The law allows payments of the full year by
January 3, 2023 without an interest penalty on
the first half. A.R.S. § 42-18053(B)