Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

If they’re not guilty of starting this, China sure is doing their best to look very very guilty. Wuhan Virology research on bat viruses and transfers to other animals has been expunged.

2 Likes

China having bigger virus problems

Areas of Hebei, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Henan, and Ningxia provinces, as well as Inner Mongolia and Beijing announced that they entered “wartime” mode over the weekend due to surges in COVID-19 cases.

“Wartime” mode typically means that restrictions are placed on when residents can leave their homes, and almost all public facilities, such as schools, stores, stadiums, and parks, are closed.

A spokesperson for the Beijing city government Xu Hejian said at a press conference on Jan. 8: “At present, diagnosed patients and cluster outbreaks are happening all around the country.”

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/mrna-vaccines-could-vanquish-covid-today-cancer-tomorrow/2021/01/09/187b5f02-5249-11eb-a1f5-fdaf28cfca90_story.html?utm_source=reddit.com

^ The keyword is could. Nobody really knows yet.

On the bright side, they’re reducing the democracy/Taiwan/Uighur problems.

ETR: On “their” bright side, …

An NFL team allowed fans in their stadium this weekend for the first time, but required everyone be tested a couple days prior. Ignoring the fact that 3 day old test results are virtually meaningless when it comes to interacting with others, the testing of about 7,000 produced a positivity rate of 1.9%. That region has had reported positivity rates hovering around 10% recently.

Not that “people who want to attend a football game” is a random sample, but I think these results are more representative of the community at at large than “people who think they might be infected”. When you’ve focused testing on those who feel they need to be tested, a high percentage of positive results should be expected, not cause for concern.

4 Likes

Glad I wasn’t the one doing those covid tests.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/health/gorillas-test-positive-coronavirus-san-diego-park/KQX54HTOEVBUVITMZUISUQAIWQ/

1 Like

I think you mean Hong Kong, not Taiwan?

2 Likes
1 Like

Yes, thanks for the catch. Taiwan probably won’t be an issue for couple of decades. :slightly_smiling_face:

Especially if it involved temperature taking.

Looks like US is doing ~ 750K/day now. I know SoCal counties are setting up multiple mass vaccination sites at stadiums and other large venues. Double this rate a couple times, and we’ll be kissing strangers on the street in no time! Or going back to the office :scream: !

2 Likes

Which begs the question - why is this in the present tense? It’s been a month (and what, about 4 months since they knew this time was coming), shoudnt they be long past the “setting up” phase?

Serious question, not trying to bait you. I would’ve thought every locale would’ve been prepared to start injecting doses as quickly as Pfizer can drop ship them. But it seems they waited to get the shipments before getting things in order to use them. I’d understand if a given location was expecting to receive 200 doses per week then suddenly started getting 2,000 doses daily - but by all accounts that’s clearly not what has been happening.

1 Like

Hope NoCal picks up soon. Reading the daily newspaper hoping to see a start up. For now it seems our hospitals are beginning to catch up on staff vaccination. Slow & slower times abound… :sleepy:

AZN vaccine looks like they won’t even apply for approval until March.

1 Like

I say “setting up” you say “po-ta-toh” :slight_smile: . Some sites are already open and a few more are opening this week. I don’t know how long the preparations took.