Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

No need to. With the amount of bleech I’ve been chugging, there’s no way I’m infected.

4 Likes

3 million people die each year anyways. It’s kind of insulting and offensive to those people, when you keep trying to break out and highlight Covid-related deaths instead of just talking about how yes, when friends and family die it sucks. The narrative starts to send the message that if it wasnt from covid, a death isnt significant.

1 Like

Some humor, not accurate of course, but might be in terms of the counting.

4 Likes

AZN saying they will be delivering less than half of their planned Q2’20 vaccines to the EU. Oops.

PFE and others saying that in the US, materials for making their vaccines are not a problem in terms of supplies available.

2 Likes

A coronavirus variant that emerged in mid-2020 and surged to become the dominant strain in California not only spreads more readily than its predecessors, but also evades antibodies generated by COVID-19 vaccines or prior infection and is associated with severe illness and death, researchers said.

1 Like

Presumably many if not most of those deaths are timely? It’s totally normal and acceptable to highlight and break out untimely deaths, such as those caused by various cancers and cardiovascular disease.

According to the Human Mortality Database (linked earlier to see excess mortality), 2,845,588 died in 2019, and 3,318,255 died in 2020. That’s over 470K excess deaths, probably all of them due to COVID even though the official number is closer to 360K. That probably makes COVID the #1 or maybe #2 killer last year.

Who are these people that are allegedly insulted and offended???

Anti-mask domestic terrorists.

The families of the dead people no one cares about. It’s not even a covid thing, assigning arbitrary values to individual deaths happens every day. Society simply cares about some lives more than others.

I thought you’d be proud of me for finally getting on the bandwagon and helping people by informing them why they’re suppose to be offended?

1 Like

That’s not how it works. There’s a secret society that decides when people are supposed to be offended and by what, and if you’re not a member you can’t just get on the bandwagon by making up your own thing. :smile:

Easily preventable deaths are different than “natural causes”.

The 50+ Perry, Abbot, Cornyn and Cruz killed in TX this week are also a big deal.

MRNA has their S. Africa booster ready for testing.

3 Likes
1 Like

Latest stat: U.S., with 4% of world’s population, has recorded 25% of the world’s Covid-19 cases and 20% of the fatalities.

US is clearly #1 here. Thanks, Trump!

What a stupid comment!

Instead you should honestly be thanking Trump for the vaccine on hand in less than 1 years time. I hate to think what would have happened had Biden been in charge 1 year ago.

I know Biden likes to talk of everything good “In my first 100 days”. Let’s talk later…

1 Like

Latest stat: NY with 0.25% of world’s population, has recorded 1.5% of the world’s Covid-19 cases and 1.9% of the fatalities.

NY is clearly #1 here, and in the US on fatalities especially. They even lead on covering up their hard work, edging out some halfhearted efforts by FL. Thank you, Cuomo!

4 Likes

Yeah. Not a surprise when Trump admin hobbled early detection and insisted there was broad surveillance and nothing to worry about, until there were massive numbers of community infections…

What does this have to do with anything?

Diseases strike with varying intensity. The intensity of the virus has varied all over the world. There have been various hotspots. It seems to have started in Wuhan. It then went all over the world and to the United States with outbreaks of varying intensity everywhere.

The handling of the virus was hobbled from the Federal level by the inactivity and malicious denials of the existence of the virus. Each state had to do as it could under the existing circumstances with no Federal plan of action and minimal support. The US became a model to the rest of the world as how not to behave during a pandemic.

Do you honestly believing denying it was real, saying it would go away, and claiming it was a hoax are good things to do in a pandemic? How about advising people to drink bleach, shine bright lights on themselves and not wear a mask?

If Biden did this right now, would you support and applaud him?

And yet NY is second in total deaths by state only slightly behind CA, which surely suffered the same handicaps of federal response. And NY has half the population of CA, so they’re basically 2x better at killing people and that’s without the hidden deaths.

The US federal response may have been lacking (most of the blame there I put on the CDC’s incompetence and bureaucracy delaying any possible test and trace containment effort due to their botched test design), but Cuomo’s nursing home policy was an unmitigated disaster.

1 Like