Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Last i heard, roughly 10x the number of people who die get believed to be permanent health issues. So we’re also looking at 5 1/2 million people with permanent health issues.

2 Likes

It’s just as likely that hundreds of thousands of lives might’ve been saved had certain democrat-led states and media not been so focused on attacking Trump’s every word. That is the intentionally devisive messaging that served no purpose (except to deepen the divide and entrench the animosity).

3 Likes

Last I heard, most of that is undiagnosed preexisting conditions, or a predisposition to developing the condition anyways. At best, it’s completely unknown, because most of it is stuff that most people arent tested for unless there’s a reason to test for it.

When you are nearly killed in a car accident, and while treating you at the hospital they find a cancerous tumor in your lung, did the car accident cause your cancer?

Were you meaning to post in the politics thread? Because personally, I think you were.

2 Likes

Roughly 10% of Covid positive people become “Long Haulers”, continue to have the symptoms even if they no longer test positive.

Continuing symptons include heart, lung, kidney, and neurological damage.

2 Likes

Excess deaths is a much more reliable statistic than the widely quoted deaths from Covid. Most people acknowledge that the latter is actually deaths with Covid and not necessarily due to it. Excess deaths is the total number of deaths minus the long-term average number of deaths for a particular time. The graph below is from CDC data and shows that the excess deaths have been trending negative recently. One theory to explain this is based on the observation that the number of deaths increase with age and co morbidities. These would probably have died anyway over the next few years so the Covid hastened their death. Now that these have left the population the total number of deaths in a time period will decrease

1 Like

The data is just very incomplete for that period at the far right of the chart. Deaths are reported way after occurrence. It has that note right next to the chart you inserted to the post.

1 Like

Fair point. The excess deaths are certainly dropping fast. Will be interesting to see if the negative numbers hold as more data are reported.

If the excess deaths do turn negative, another explanation might be that that deaths from non-Covid infections like the flu also dropped due to the lockdowns.

Edit: that would be balanced by increased deaths due to drug overdose and suicide.

Yeah, those CDC excess death charts are basically unreliable for the last month or something due to delays in death reporting. I remember thinking they were dropping fast at the end of the summer last year too.

YouTube knows better than the experts how many masks you should wear.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/masks-for-children-muzzles-for-covid-19-news-11618329981?mod=trending_now_opn_sf_pos5
Backup link

I attended a public-policy roundtable hosted by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis last month. The point was to discuss the state’s Covid policies in the months ahead. That 600,000 Americans have died with Covid-19 is evidence that the lockdowns over the past year, including significant restrictions on the lives of children, haven’t worked. Florida reopened in May and declined to shut down again. Yet age-adjusted mortality is lower in Florida than in locked-down California, and Florida’s public schools are almost all open, while California’s aren’t.

My fellow panelists—Sunetra Gupta of Oxford, Martin Kulldorff of Harvard and Scott Atlas of Stanford—and I discussed a variety of topics. One was the wisdom of requiring children to wear masks. The press asked questions, and a video of the event was posted on YouTube by local media, including Tampa’s WTSP.

But last week YouTube removed a recording of this routine policy discussion from its website. The company claimed my fellow panel members and I were trafficking in misinformation. The company saidit removed the video “because it included content that contradicts the consensus of local and global health authorities regarding the efficacy of masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19.” Yet the panelists are all experts, and all spoke against requiring children to wear masks.

3 Likes

“Experts”. LOL. Atlas is a radiologist, and he’s “of the Hoover Institution,” not “of Stanford,” and they’re all in the scientific minority when it comes to handling COVID. If their “advice” goes directly against government guidelines, I don’t see why they should have a platform such as youtube.

“Kulldorff is one of the three authors, along with Sunetra Gupta and Jay Bhattacharya, of the early October 2020 Great Barrington Declaration.”

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean, no one should be allowed to question our government’s policies, right? The Dear Leader knows best and the peasants should shut up and do what they’re told. Under Trump, I don’t see why YouTube should have allowed any Democrats to talk about his failings, just like we shouldn’t allow anyone to criticize Biden now. Xi and Kim Jong Fattie would be proud.

The World Health Organization and numerous academic and public-health bodies have stated that the proposed [Barrington Declaration] strategy is dangerous, unethical, and lacks a sound scientific basis

Ok maybe so, but economic lockdowns are also dangerous, unethical, and lacks a sound scientific basis, as the difference between FL and CA outcomes show. The kids haven’t died from covid but they sure aren’t learning much when somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 didn’t bother to show up for online school or do any homework. Here’s LA’s failings just as an example -

https://greatpublicschoolsnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EdRecoveryNow_Final_3-29-21.pdf

1 Like

Source?

From a not-so-disinterested party, a LA-based pro-charter “non-profit.”

1 Like

I do not mean that. Let anyone question whatever they want, doesn’t mean they deserve their voices heard on a giant public platform, where their voices will be multiplied by other crazies.

2 Likes

I look forward to applying your approach to CNN - can we ban them from the Internet and airwaves too due to their self-confessed disinformation campaigns? on a more serious note, given the lockdowns, if free speech still means anything, it should apply to online forums since you’re not allowed to have a big public gathering to tell anyone your opinions due to covid. Well, BLM rallies are fine, but definitely not protesting against lockdowns or in favor of election security.

I was mainly referring the WSJ piece, which claimed aged adjusted outcomes were similar. Here’s another couple sources with raw case and death rates per capita, no age adjustment. CDC has FL at 160ish and CA at 150ish deaths/100k.

Of course FL is a lot older than CA, so if they are even close enough to have the argument, that’s a win for the FL approach that also didn’t incur huge economic and human costs from the lockdowns.

Here’s the LAUSD’s own report on how little students were doing online school, that was referenced in that summary I linked to above. Last spring only 40% of students handed anything in at all online, and while that’s up to 2/3 for last fall, that’s hardly a successful outcome.

http://laschoolboard.org/sites/default/files/IAU%20Report%202021%200108-%20Fall%202020%20Schoology%20Usage%20Update.pdf

Plus the LA teachers unions are anti-student, so anyone against them is a good start. Remember their demands? And they’re still refusing to go back to school.

3 Likes

…as long as it’s done only in the privacy of the closet in their own basement.

CA Pauses Use Of J&J Vaccine Amid Blood Clot Reports
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/ca-pauses-use-of-j-j-vaccine-amid-blood-clot-reports/ar-BB1fC9Fl

Governor Aims To Reopen California By Mid-June, Contingent On Public Health Metrics
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/06/984794054/governor-aims-to-reopen-california-by-mid-june-contingent-on-public-health-metri

Newsom is also insisting that all CA schools open by the Fall for full in-person schooling.

He can insist all he wants, we’ll see what the unions do. The funny thing is that normally the teachers unions have a lot of leverage because if they strike, everyone’s kids get sent home and all the working parents who have annoying kids, which is most kids, will scream at the politicians to make a deal and get school back in session so they can go to work, etc.

But now with covid and remote school and remote work, you’re stuck with your kids anyway, so who cares if the union doesn’t want to work, or wants more climate justice, or vaccine priority, or lots more money or whatever. Just stop paying them and see who breaks first, the kids were home anyway.

1 Like