Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

TLDR… Are these cases of tongue enlargement specific to African American folks? Some genetic vulnerability?

Most but not exclusively. Seems the prone positioning to help breathing contributed to the tongue swelling, but probably some other personal health / genetic bad luck as well.

Spending so long in that [proned] position could have cause tongue swelling. Not all the patients Dr Melville looked at were incubated in a prone position, though.

Eight of the nine patients to develop the condition were Black, leading him to believe race may be involved, specifically angioedema. Angioedema is a condition where parts of someone’s body may begin to swell due to either an allergic reaction or hereditary causes. Black people are more likely to develop the condition than white people.

2 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/gop-sen-rand-paul-says-he-refuses-to-take-the-covid-19-vaccine-claims-he-already-has-natural-immunity/ar-AAKihzO?li=BBnb7Kz

Of course, any logic and reason that dares to defy the chosen narrative must be ridiculed. Because, obviously, that is the best way to convince people you are right and the other person is wrong…
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-lawmaker-adam-kinzinger-mocks-rand-paul-for-refusing-vaccine-so-brave…-so-manly/ar-AAKiJjm?li=BBnbfcL

Best part of the second article?

“Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again.”

So what’s “rare”? Because 5-10% of vaccine recipients end up with no protection as well, and that has been declared a great succcess.

1 Like

“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/intelligence-on-sick-staff-at-wuhan-lab-fuels-debate-on-covid-19-origin-11621796228
Backup link

Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care, according to a previously undisclosed U.S. intelligence report that could add weight to growing calls for a fuller probe of whether the Covid-19 virus may have escaped from the laboratory.

former U.S. official who led a State Department task force on the origins of the virus for then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, told a Hudson Institute seminar in March that he doubted that the lab researchers became sick because of the ordinary flu.“I’m very doubtful that three people in highly protected circumstances in a level three laboratory working on coronaviruses would all get sick with influenza that put them in the hospital or in severe conditions all in the same week, and it didn’t have anything to do with the coronavirus,” he said, adding that the researchers’ illness may represent “the first known cluster” of Covid-19 cases.

2 Likes

“Rules for thee, but not for me”, the Michigan governor edition.

As of May 15, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, no more than six people can be seated together at a restaurant and different groups must be separated by at least six feet.

However, someone forgot to tell Whitmer, who was photographed with a smile on her face Saturday as she sat with 12 other people around a pair of pushed-together tables at an East Lansing bar

1 Like

Yours perhaps. My own rights descend from Almighty God, making them unassailable by mere mortals.

1 Like

Michigan father of 5 dies after refusing vaccine

This is such a sad story I just had to post it. This young gentleman, Mr. Rivers, was a person of high accomplishment and the father of five kids. This is a tragedy.

The part I don’t get has nothing to do with lack of vaccination. OK, he and his wife were hesitant about that, although considering it. Fair enough.

Instead, I do not understand why this man could not be saved through use of May 2021 therapeutic remedies. We have come a long way with those. Was this the fault of poor doctoring? Did Mr. Rivers receive inferior care because he is black? Why could the medical establishment not save this man’s life?

So now his five kids no longer have a father. I could for certain have understood this outcome a year ago. But so much more is known today about treating COVID-19. I think somebody dropped the ball. I think this gentleman did not receive adequate care.

Mr. Rivers passed away from COVID-19 less than two weeks ago!

Investigating cases of myocartisis in youth who got covid.

Oh, wait - it’s actually myocarditis in youth who got the covid vaccine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-investigating-cases-of-heart-inflammation-in-teens-young-adults-who-got-two-shot-covid-vaccine-heres-what-we-know/ar-AAKkK6o?li=BBnb7Kz

Naw, people who are hesitant about the vaccine are just being stupid. There’s no reason to be concerned and no reason to wait to be vaccinated (as long as you ignore the ongoing safety investigations).

2 Likes

"The vaccine safety group says the “relatively few” reports of myocarditis “appear to be mild” and are below the expected baseline rates. "

Yeah, less vaccinated kids getting heart inflammation than unvaccinated is really a cause for alarm.
Not the nearly 50% with long covid symptoms after “asymptomatic” infections.

Well, then you better call up the CDC and tell them to shut down their investigation. Funny how we put so much effort into criticizing people for not following the CDC - until the CDC does something we dont like, then we criticize people for paying attention to them.

And if you are going to make up “50%”, why not just go for 100% and claim everyone is guaranteed to die without this vaccine?

2 Likes

No, they didn’t say there’s a problem. They disclosed that they are tracking the cases and it’s below the baseline expectations…

I didn’t claim the vaccine stops long covid in adults or kids. That has not been demonstrated yet, AFAIK, though hopefully it does greatly reduce or prevent long covid detriments. People who are vaccinated are much less likely to be immediately hospitalized when infected and they’re less likely to spread the virus themselves when they’re infected. But being vaccinated does not prevent the infection in itself. Vaccinated people are still being infected.

Now, had the vaccine been used along with other measures to quash the virus to much lower levels (like it already has, in Israel, for example), then it would most definitely prevent it as more people wouldn’t be getting infected.

Another good follow up article on the lab leak, background on Wuhan research, and how many of the scientists who dismissed this possibility early on have now called for a more detailed investigation.

Backup link

1 Like

Right, they are investigating if there is a problem. To which you’ve declared (to paraphrase) “Move along, nothing to see here!” So you better let them know too, since your research is obviously ahead of theirs. Cant have people thinking that there might be issues with the vaccine when the CDC is looking into potential issues with the vaccine, gotta stick with the unequivocal “It’s safe, Stupid, and you are an idiot to think about the possible alternatives”.

1 Like

It is hard for me simply to dismiss this tragic case. After further consideration:

Apparently, or a least most likely, this gentleman did not perish because of his race. People, other people, continue to be killed even today by COVID-19. The numbers, thankfully, are way down. But we are still losing Americans to this virus.

The way that article read, both Mr. Green and his wife got the COVID at the same time. They were sent home. She got better. His condition deteriorated and he eventually was admitted to the hospital, where he passed away.

Were I unvaccinated (I’m not), and if I got the COVID, I would not just “go home”. I would instead demand, at the earliest possible time, therapeutics today widely available which must be administered early in the course of the disease. Did Mr. and Mrs. Green receive those life-saving therapeutics? We don’t know. But if not, if they were just sent home, then they were victims of some really incompetent doctoring.

Again, a year ago people were dying like flies from this virus. That was then and this is now. Today with proper, attentive, and caring doctoring, even unvaccinated Americans should not still be perishing on account of COVID-19.

3 Likes

Except that every widely available outlet - including so-called “fact checkers” - insist that such therapeutics are entirely ineffective and potentially even more dangerous despite their long history.

I agree with you that it is a problem, but not with the doctor. The problem is that “sending him home” is the accepted and recommended standard treatment.

1 Like

I was thinking, in particular, of whatever it was President Trump received . . . very, very early. That was, and remains, pretty effective stuff.

1 Like

Here’s a recent paper on kids recovering from the bad inflammatory syndrome.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(21)00138-3/fulltext

46 children were included in this study. The median age at presentation was 10·2 years (IQR 8·8–13·3), 30 (65%) patients were male and 16 (35%) were female, 37 (80%) were from minority ethnic groups, and eight (17%) had pre-existing comorbidities. All patients had elevated markers of systemic inflammation at baseline. None of the patients died. By 6 months, systemic inflammation was resolved in all but one patient.

2 Likes

See no China Evil

Great timing with the many reputable sources discussing the lab escape possibility in recent weeks.

3 Likes

50% of children that had asymptomatic covid infections have “long covid” symptoms? Do you have a link supporting that claim? Because what you just linked to says this:

Reports of “Long-COVID”, are rising but little is known about prevalence, risk factors, or whether it is possible to predict a protracted course early in the disease. We analysed data from 4182 incident cases of COVID-19 who logged their symptoms prospectively in the COVID Symptom Study app. 558 (13.3%) had symptoms lasting >28 days, 189 (4.5%) for >8 weeks and 95 (2.3%) for >12 weeks.

Looks like 20% to me. That doesn’t say anything about them being asymptomatic either.

2 Likes