Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

I had not thought about it like that, but Jews must have the lowest vaccination rate of any group. Sadly, I haven’t found the data to confirm it, but you’re right - it sounds logical.

2 Likes

You’re gonna have to explain this one. I don’t recall the USA testing vaccines, medicine, or anything else really, on Jews.

History is not bound by borders.

1 Like

This chart does not make sense to me. Maybe it’s because they only pulled data from 40 states, but I’m not sure. And the reason it doesn’t make sense is because according to CDC, as of today 57.2% of the population has received at least one dose. 10 days ago it was just slightly less, because the pace has been very slow for a while now.
Here’s the approximate race/ethnicity population breakdown (2017 estimates ala Wikipedia):
Asian 5.6%
White (non-Hispanic) 61.5%
Hispanic 17.6%
Black 13%

Using these proportions, the total only adds up to about 45% (with < 3% of the population unaccounted for), nowhere near the 57% reported by the CDC. So either the 40 states don’t include big states with highest vaccination rates, or the data only includes people who reported their race when they filled out the vaccination forms (or both). IIRC, this field was optional (at least in CA). It’s possible that Asians over-reported while Hispanics and Blacks under-reported their race/ethnicity. So IMO this data and graphs derived from it are all garbage-adjacent.

Is the CDC numbers using people who are eligible to be vaccinated, while this chart is using total population? I dont know if the under-12 group is enough to account for the difference?

1 Like

Here’s a survey from April on Jewish vaccination intentions.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/databank/search-results/study/1122

• Incidence of COVID-19: the incidence of COVID-19 is extremely high among the Haredi respondents to the survey, especially among Chasidim. Seventy percent (70%) of Chasidic respondents, 55% of Yeshivish respondents and 33% of Modern Orthodox respondents report that they have had COVID-19. Hospitalization is uncommon, however, ranging from only 3%-5% among these groups.

• Vaccination rates: The per cent vaccinated ranges from 74% of Modern Orthodox, to 55% of Yeshivish, and 21% of Chasidish; “…not surprisingly, these rates are inversely correlated with prior incidence of COVID.”

• COVID-19 Vaccination Intentions. There are extremely wide differences among the Orthodox segments in terms of how many have been vaccinated and what people’s plans are. Overall, Chasidish respondents have more negative vaccine sentiment - 46% do not plan to get a COVID vaccine - compared to 23% of the Yeshivish and 16% of the Modern Orthodox respondents.

In short, some of the more conservative groups of Jews gave no F’s about the virus when it first showed up, tons of them got it, and now don’t care about vaccines (reasonably so).

1 Like

CDC hasn’t shared the docs behind their latest mask recommendations, but a summary of those are given here.

The comparison to chickenpox corresponds to an R of about 10 for Delta, vs 2-3 for Wuhan Classic, and would require upwards of 90% immunity in the population, one way or the other, to reach herd immunity.

They also talk about how vaccinated people are getting and presumably spreading the virus as well.

The C.D.C. document relies on data from multiple studies, including an analysis of a recent outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., which began after the town’s Fourth of July festivities. By Thursday, that cluster had grown to 882 cases. About 74 percent were vaccinated, local health officials have said.

More details here

2 Likes

Did I say it explains the whole disparity?

I think that is correct.

The chart is labeled for “total population”, and the generally-talked-about CDC numbers (I thought) were based on “eligible population”.

It’s the only explanation you gave.

1 Like

In that same post I also provided a link that discussed per-capita income as being significantly correlated with differences in vaccination rates.

And that said, I have seen some good discussion that there are vaccine access issues in certain communities that may be more of an explanation than “vaccine hesitance”. But at least anecdotally, I definitely am aware of a sizable local group of people in that demographic with “vaccine hesitance”, so it isn’t a total non-issue.

I’m curious to see a survey of unvaccinated black people that have heard of the Tuskegee Experiment and can tell you what it was. I think the percentages would be under 25% and under 5%, respectively. I’ve yet to see anything beyond anecdotal that the Tuskegee Experiment is having any affect on black vaccine hesitancy.

5 Likes

Very well could be vaccine hesitance for other reasons - I’m not discounting it.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-shares-pivotal-discovery-on-covid-19-breakthrough-infections-that-led-to-new-mask-guidance/ar-AAMKLf7?li=BBnb7Kz

A new study shows the Delta Covid-19 variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they get infected – illustrating a key motivation behind the federal guidance that now recommends most fully vaccinated Americans wear masks indoors.

No crap. So can we now stop berrating those who have all along been saying this ‘class’ system between the vaccinated and unvaccinated is stupid and counterproductive to safety?

4 Likes

The CDC provides multiple numbers. I referred to the Total Population number.

Leaked CDC delta presentation to politicians and proposed messaging. Lots of nice charts, worth a look -

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/notes/prod/default/documents/54f57708-a529-4a33-9a44-b66d719070d9/note/753667d6-8c61-495f-b669-5308f2827155.#page=1

several things of note, but basically they’re trying to get ahead of the bad vaccine PR/imaging since pretty soon more vaccinated people will end up in hospitals than unvaccinated (as the relative population sizes shift to more vaccinated), the vaccinated who do get Delta can spread it significantly (maybe a bit less than unvaccinated, but still a lot more than the original was), etc.

they make the pitch for more masking and such. Worth noting on the mask effectiveness perhaps, the CDC masking model for actual public use assumes around a 25% protection of the wearer (pretty low) and 50% reduced spread by an infected person. I’m not sure how much better these are if you fit them properly, keep your nose inside, etc, but clearly they’re not any panacea for avoiding spread on a personal level, but they help in aggregate.

4 Likes

Whoever “redacted” that PDF file was unqualified for the redacting job. It may not be fair to call them idiots, since it may be a specialized skill, but for anyone in the know it’s a classic case of visually hiding the text without actually removing it from the file.

2 Likes

I wonder how they came up with it, but if I had to guess, they’re probably assuming that most people have shitty masks – not moisture-blocking surgical or N95. Perhaps still in the mode of saving those for the medical workers.

1 Like

Andrew Sullivan’s take on the recent Provincetown outbreak, and its largely minor effects on those vaccinated who got sick.

We are at a stage in this pandemic when we are trying to persuade the hold-outs — disproportionately white Republicans/evangelicals and urban African-Americans — to get vaccinated. How do we best do this? Endless, condescending nagging won’t help. Coercion is not an option in a free country. Since the vaccinated appear to be able to transmit the virus as well, vaccine passports lose their power to remove all risk. Forcing all the responsible people to go back to constraining their everyday lives for the sake of the vaccine-averse is both unfair and actually weakens the incentive to get a vaccine, because it lowers the general risk of getting it in the broader society.

So the obviously correct public policy is to let mounting sickness and rising deaths concentrate the minds of the recalcitrant. Let reality persuade the delusional and deranged. It has a pretty solid record of doing just that.

2 Likes

This man Andrew Sullivan, he’s been doing well with the article here. I like his attitude, “stop worrying and live with the virus”.

We’ve taken the vaccine, stayed inside most of the year, kept masked at the grocery store. I’m not going on a crusade to persuade anyone. (well family members).

As said, “Let it Rip”…

I’m going to check out this guys writings…:slight_smile:

2 Likes