Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

With record covid numbers, the NY governor declares a public health emergency. And it is…

Racism!

I mean, they can pass feel good legislation about that, unlike doing anything constructive about covid besides banning your unvaxxed 5 year old from restaurants…

1 Like

in New York State, whites need not apply for the scarce antiviral Covid treatments

Eligibility

Oral antiviral treatment is authorized for patients who meet all the following criteria:

• Age 12 years and older weighing at least 40 kg (88 pounds) for Paxlovid, or 18 years and older for molnupiravir

• Test positive for SARS-CoV-2 on a nucleic acid amplification test or antigen test; results from an FDA-authorized home-test kit should be validated through video or photo but, if not possible, patient attestation is adequate

• Have mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms

• Able to start treatment within 5 days of symptom onset

• Have a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness.

o Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a riskfactor,as longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19

4 Likes

Yeah, more details here.

they’re not wrong about all that systemic racism going on in NY. For example, the NY government is now rationing the only monoclonal that works against O based on race. Anyone not white is automatically eligible regardless of risk factors for bad outcomes, while all you privileged white folks, who are probably racist Trump supporters even in NY, have to prove your worthiness.

Nevermind most of the reasons why, for example, black and Hispanic people have suffered more from covid is because of higher rates of known risk factors like obesity, diabetes, and not wanting to take those Evil Trump Vaccines.

5 Likes

5 Likes

We are just going to have to learn to live with this virus that was released on the world by the Chinese.

All those present have received two doses of vaccine, and one person has even received a booster shot,” said Alain Hubert, the facility’s executive operator and head of security measures. All staff members also have to undergo a series of PCR tests on their long journey to the station.

Those en route there take one PCR test in Belgium before leaving for South Africa and another five days after their arrival. They self-isolate for 10 days in Cape Town, then undergo two further tests: one before leaving for Antarctica and another five days after arriving at the station.

6 Likes

I disagree and it has nothing to do with concern about others. My concern is for myself. Being vaccinated means I have a lower chance of being infected. Being in close proximity with vaccinated people means I have an even lower chance of being infected (than being in a close proximity with unvaccinated people) because those unvaccinated people are also less likely to be infected.

I think of it as the prisoners dilemma. Both have a better chance of getting away scot-free if they can both keep their mouth shut. In this case all parties have a better chance if all parties are vaccinated.

Perhaps nobody ever looked close enough? If this news somehow supports your lack of faith in science, that’s a you problem. Plenty of discoveries seem obvious after they’re discovered :smile: .

That was a lot more true with Wuhan Classic than with Omicron. Vaccines were 90%+ against infection at all back then. Now you’re looking at nothing for JNJ, 20-30% reduction in risk for PFE, a bit better for MRNA, etc.

And perhaps you’re overlooking that 2 years into the pandemic an unvaccinated person is increasingly likely to have already had covid, which definitely makes them less likely to have it now (given the kind of behaviors that likely correlate with rejecting the vaccine).

The few people I was seeing when I was being very csreful were survivors rather than other people with the vaccines.

3 Likes

Hopefully more truth than satire in this.

Doctors are recommending PfiQuil for anyone with symptoms related to Omicron, such as headache, fever, runny nose, sneezing, and man-cold.

The Biden Administration has made clear that due to shortages, PfiQuil will only be offered to Omicron-infected Americans who have been triple-vaxxed. Anti-vaxxers will be forced to settle for NyQuil.

1 Like

That’s one perspective, going off unconfirmed estimates.

The other perspective, using “confirmed cases”, means that in 2 years only 20% of the population has been infected. So at any given time, it’s been pretty unlikely that those around you were actively infected, whether they were vaccinated or not. When 2-3 people per thousand are infected at any one time (on average), even a 10x greater risk means that unvaccinated person is a negligible threat to your 10-person dinner party. If you are worried about the risk, you’re worried whether people are vaccinated or not. Otherwise, your “worry” is more about virtue signaling than safety.

Either way, drawing the hard line at vaccination isn’t particularly rational.

1 Like

Here’s your chance to get some high quality placebos, or maybe ivermectin.

https://activ6study.org/

Fully remote, medicine by mail, legit clinical trial for mild covid in adults. They’re also testing a steroid and antidepressant both thought to help against covid early on. Which one you get, or nothing, who knows? That’s double blind for you.

For when you’re on the fence about ivermectin and can’t be bothered to order it from India in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CDC on child risks. Sure there are lots of cases, but do they matter?

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

Cumulative Hospitalizations (24 states and NYC reported)*

• Among states reporting, children ranged from 1.8%-4.1% of their total cumulated hospitalizations, and 0.1%-1.8% of all their child COVID-19 cases resulted in hospitalization

Cumulative Mortality (46 states, NYC, PR and GU reported)*

• Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.27% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 5 states reported zero child deaths
  • ​In states reporting, 0.00%-0.03% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death

Of course I think both the hospitalization and deaths above include the “with” and “from” covid outcomes. On the UK side, they’ve got more O than the US already, but for them only 1/5 of hospitalizations were “from” covid as opposed to some unrelated problem and also happening to be positive when tested on admission.

2 Likes

Covid humor

3 Likes

A journal of someone who caught the coronavirus last month, December 2021. Do not know what variant. It seems an ordeal but he is on the mend, I think.

BTW he provides a link to a searchable list of infusion centers around the country
Locations of monoclonal Infusion Centers: https://covid.infusioncenter.org/

1 Like

Didn’t we see something very recent that 2 weeks post booster is 85% effective against O?

Didn’t we also see that a prior Delta infection doesn’t protect against Omicron?

Substack is where you can still challenge the covid narrative, like maybe O won’t be that bad? Lots of stats on S Africa in this wave vs prior, and all look good.

1 Like

No, not vs infection; perhaps you were thinking about avoiding worse outcomes (those for vax and/or boosters are in the 80-90% range). The boosters help for a few months, but even then you’re looking at 0-50% protection vs infection by O.

Among people who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, a booster with one of the mRNA vaccines, made by Pfizer and Moderna, was 60 percent effective at preventing symptomatic disease two to four weeks after the shot. After 10 weeks, however, the Pfizer booster was just 35 percent effective. The Moderna booster was 45 percent effective at up to nine weeks. (The AstraZeneca vaccine is not authorized in the United States, but the Johnson & Johnson shot uses a similar technology.)

For people who were given three Pfizer doses, vaccine effectiveness dropped from 70 percent one week after the booster to 45 percent after 10 weeks. Pfizer recipients who received a Moderna booster, on the other hand, seemed to fare better; their vaccine regimen remained up to 75 percent effective at up to nine weeks.

2 Likes

“The mask is useless in this circumstance,” Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infection disease doctor at the University of California San Francisco, told The National Desk. “Blowing in and blowing out through this mask does nothing.”

This is just silly, there’s no other word for it,” Gandhi said,

Gandhi said you don’t need a medical degree to see that theatre was at play with such a “flagrantly ineffective” demonstration like what happened at the Carrier Dome on Saturday.

At least this (actual, real-life) infectious disease doctor didnt try to justify it with more of the same “you just dont understand because you arent a doctor” nonsense.

Anyone still want to insist that a lot of the “rules” are anything more than “leaders” trying really hard to make it look like they’re doing something?

2 Likes

From a link on the Syracuse band article,

Dr. Anthony Fauci said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now considering including the negative test as part of its guidance after getting significant “pushback” on its updated recommendations last week.

Changes due to pushback? I thought the standard response to questioning guidelines was “Just do what the CDC says, dammit!”?

1 Like

They left out one glaring detail - how the hell are humans spreading the virus to wild deer? How many Randy Marsh’s do they think there are out there?

Regardless of how they got infected, animal reservoirs like this, and I’m sure there are other animals, mean that we can never wipe out the disease. It will continue to multiply and evolve in these animals and can spread back to people.

3 Likes