Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Hey, man, that sucks. I hope you experience only minimal symptoms and recover very quickly. Good luck.

I myself am in a waiting period having been in contact with other people Thursday and Friday. I figure if I blew it I should know by Wednesday.

If I’m lucky and win this lottery I should be good easily for two to three weeks. Have sufficient supplies now to hold out at least that length of time.

3 Likes

I live near a Walmart and they have excellent home delivery. They come on time and deliver the stuff you ordered. For about $13 a month, they will deliver $35 or more of stuff as often as you want. I have not been grocery shopping for about a month.

1 Like

Are the prices for those groceries the same? For example, Costco online groceries have higher prices than in warehouse. It is fine, of course, just know that you may be paying more than that monthly fee.

I’m sorry to hear of the PITA this is for you and you and your family. I hope the symptoms remain flu-like. On the bright side, I’ve known four couples who had one spouse get covid, without the other getting infected, even though they were sleeping together at the onset of the infection.

2 Likes

As far as I know the prices for home delivery are the same as in store for Walmart.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve seen on the few items I’ve checked.

I believe you guys are correct about Walmart.

But Instacart prices, when you shop for delivered food other than at Walmart, can be higher than in-store prices and there is also a delivery fee. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Color me impressed with WMT :clap:.

How’s their Organic Avocado Toast selection? :rofl:

1 Like

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-cdc-isolation-testing-omicron-1bea8a40-15d1-44d5-a429-2d1864840c96.html

Am I wrong to find this “study” to have suspiciously convenient timing?

Driving the news: A new study of NBA players and staff — which has yet to be peer-reviewed

I could’ve swore I’ve been repeatedly told that citing such studies (small, not peer reviewed) constitutes spreading misinformation?

Yep, confirmed via their FAQ that there’s no markup. How does it actually work? Do store employees collect the items and put it into the outsourced delivery cars, or is it more like an individual freelancer who goes into the store, gets my stuff, and delivers it to me in his personal car? And I know this is slightly OT… feel free to move to a better thread. Don’t know if we have a WMT thread.

No, you’re OK. It has been a while, but months ago I discussed here procurement of food in the pandemic, the object being to avoid if possible having to enter supermarkets. And heck:

That back then was even well before the Omicron variant, which is FAR more contagious than the COVID-19 1.0 of that time. So the notion of food delivery is as pandemic relevant today as ever, especially for the unvaccinated.

their employees walk through the store with big carts with several baskets filling out orders. From there they take it to a central location where they have two ways to get it to you.

you can arrange to pick it up at their store at a set time from your car. Their app tells them when you arrive and then a Walmart employee goes out and puts it in your car with no contact with you. there’s no charge for that if your order is over $35.

another possibility is to hand it off to (I think) an independent contractor delivery driver. They drive it out and deliver it to your front door. Walmart charges about $13 a month for all the orders you want so long as they are over $35. They do a pretty hard sell on getting you to tip the driver.

6 Likes

Since it hasn’t been mentioned here yet, for those of you wondering, this isn’t just a grocery delivery service, it’s Walmart’s answer to Amazon Prime. It’s Walmart Plus. It includes free shipping for everything on their site that they sell without an order minimum (normally $35). Some of that stuff is stuff they sell in the stores, so since they already have delivery drivers running around, their shipping algorithm sometimes get you same day delivery on stuff from your local store instead of a package sent by mail from a warehouse. It’s a way around the $35 order minimum for grocery delivery, and no tip request. Food items aren’t available for “shipping,” only “delivery.” But lots of items that you would expect to be part of the grocery side of Walmart (things sold at other grocery stores) aren’t considered grocery, so even though they are available for “delivery” ($35 min plus tip expected), they are available for “shipping” (no minimum, no tip) and come just as fast depending on stock.

It’s not an exact science though, so you can’t always assume you’ll get something faster because its something in stock at the store. Also, their delivery drivers (3rd parties) aren’t the best. Also, I haven’t had that many Walmart deliveries and I’ve already had one go to the wrong house (they took a picture of it and it wasn’t even a house in my neighborhood). They refunded me quickly and easily though and I just reordered the item. Took an extra day, but I didn’t bother asking for a discount, so not sure if they do that or not.

6 Likes

Covid humor.

1 Like

A reminder that once you’re in a hospital, you may well have no rights to leave or to determine your treatment.

2 Likes

This ones for you @shinobi. Brain damage from covid due to immune overreaction, tested in mice and also autopsied dead brains from early in the pandemic.

As for changes from Wuhan Classic no vaccine to now with O and/or vaccines, who knows? Hopefully less bad, given the inflammation seems to be less bad and more localized, but hard to really speculate.

3 Likes

Follow-up to this.
I’m starting to feel better. Yesterday I didn’t take any cold meds and made it through the day and night. Today I broke down an took one nasal decongestant medication (as opposed to the multi-med DayQuil every 4 hours like I was a few days ago).

I had several work zoom meetings the past few days and it turns out that 10 people have tested positive in the past week. We have like 85 people total. We are a white collar workplace where most folks have their own offices, have been keeping their doors shut, most meetings take place virtually, and many folks when going down the hall for 5 seconds put on a mask. Several people including the CEO and another VP are among the 10 (folks I didn’t interact with last week).

4 Likes

and that case and hospitalization rates were actually lower among people who had recovered from Covid-19 than among those who had been vaccinated.

…yet they still manage to double down on the “vaccine or bust!” agenda. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s their way of making sure their Facebook, Twitter, YouTube accounts aren’t executed. It’s kind of like LGB. Who’s going to shoot you for snubbing the media if your showing your wokeness, or at least 3/26 of it.

Thanks for the update, and glad you’re over the worst of it. My wife got it, and is currently isolated in the west wing. :frowning_face: Her first symptoms (ticklish throat) were Sunday morning, and worsened slowly until Tuesday around lunch. Then the fever, headache, tiredness, and lack of appetite hit. The fever dropped throughout this afternoon, and she is feeling a little better.

What’s worse than my wife getting covid? I am walking all of the dogs, and doing all of the housework. :laughing:

I have been fortunate in that my ticklish throat has only gotten a little sore. Must be my antibodies showing off against my wife’s vaccine and antibodies.

4 Likes