Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

Is this an SAT question? Cause you can do it from the side at an angle :smile:

1 Like

I think it’d be significant for Alpha-Delta (because IIRC that worked pretty well for high compliance places like HK, Taiwan, NZ), but possibly not for Omicron, which is a sneaky bastard. We need N95s all around.

Maybe. It would work really well since we have no idea if all the positives were mask-less.

Well NY and CA have some of the strictest mask laws in the country. I bet they have way more than 40% mask wearing like in that Bangladesh mask study. How’s that gone for them?

What do think would happen if we got to nearly 100% vaccination? Maybe this -

2 Likes

Oh come on Xerty, quit throwing up all these strawmen!

2 Likes

And would you be willing to stake your structural integrity on such a joint, with at most a half-inch of nail in either board? :grin:

Regardless, he’s forcing this head on, and clearly not even trying to work around the edges where his talk might hold a little water.

1 Like

I’m quite disappointed as well. For 2 years I’ve been told that the so-called “anti-mask, anti-vaccine, covidiots” (ie, anyone not trembling in fear) need to do some research and stop ignoring the science. Yet there’s a lot of science posted here, to which you merely respond with petty insults and derogatories.

2 Likes

This is what I talk about when I say I expect more.
You equate mask rules with mask rule compliance. Then claim see it doesn’t work. This is a strawman. AGAIN.

At no point will you or other covidiots acknowledge this. It’s like nailing jello to a wall. Nothing you can do will get you ant progress.

I’ll link the definition of a strawman for you.

If you’re so unconvinced, why not put forward your reasons and evidence for how you see these things working. If masks are so good, surely there are lots of good studies you can point to that show great outcomes?

4 Likes

Of all things you could spend the time looking up to link for…

3 Likes

I’ll make this slow for you.
If a covid positive person is breathing through a mask.

Will there be viruses STUCK inside of the masks ?

I really can’t make that any slower or more simple for you.

Do not try to obfuscate with flowery words or even incorherrent ramblings. Just answer it.

Oh and I invented that covidiot word. I’m not sure if anybody else came up with it too. But I know I made it before I saw it anywhere.

Upon checking. I don’t think I came up with it prior to this date.

" COVIDIOT: The latest slang people are using to describe spring breakers, toilet-paper hoarders, and politicians during the coronavirus pandemic

Mar 26, 2020, 9:05 AM"

Everyone here understands you. But how much slower and simpler do you need it to be? You keep dismissing actual research and practical application, instead repeatedly harping on a vague theory you just know is more valid.

Try backing up your claims with something more than “well, duh!”.

2 Likes

I don’t know about NY but I do know about SoCal, cause that’s where I live. Though pretty much every retail store “asks” you to mask and compliance is ~95%, indoor dining is a thing (of course it’s totally stupid that you have to wear a mask to enter, but there’s no new distancing or additional air circulation or filtering of any kind – it’s back to the old days inside and some places even stopped doing outdoor dining even if they have the space), and there’s no masking inside gyms recently. I haven’t seen any data to determine the relationship between mask wearing and testing positive (in CA).

1 Like

Sure. But the point being made here is that with a crappy mask the amount of virus that is stopped by the mask may not be sufficient to prevent infecting other people. With Omicron being much more virulent than prior strains, you need much less virus to get infected. Therefore you need a much better mask to stop most or all of it, not just some. I don’t think anybody here is arguing against N95s or P100s. Not yet anyway.

3 Likes

Didn’t answer the question.

This is why I think covidiots are actually mentally ill.
Hence the continuous strawman arguments about masks.

If you are right n masks don’t help stop the spread. Wearing a mask does no good.
But if you are wrong … how much harm have you done ?
Oh wait it’s just theater. Because you totally know … like totally totally 100% totally just know … right ?

There was no way he (assumes gender) was going to say yes. So I’ll take the sure as close enough.

Ok … now that you acknowledge there will be viruses in the mask that don’t end up somebody else’s nose. Shoot. I’ll slow this down again.
If the virus is on the mask n not up somebody’s nose. How in the world can you say masks don’t work ? How in the wo…world… oh … yes … you actually know this. That’s why the obsessive need for the strawman arguments.

Is it simply you got locked into this covid ain’t a big deal thing in the begining n now you will have to admit covid is quite serious and you don’t want to do that ?

Or are you still in denile about a disease that went from nothing to our (usa) 3rd leading killer in 1 year and has infected more than 1 outta 5 Americans ? Are u still thinking this thing is no big deal ?

Science ? Any study that claims to define mask efficacy with less than 50% compliance is just absurd. Not to mention even with it the way it was it still showed positive reduction.

Um, posting studies and data is the opposite of “just knowing”. You are the only one claiming to totally totally just know while including absolutely nothing to back up that position.

3 Likes

I dont know that there are growing calls, it’s that the calls are finally being allowed and arent being surpressed.

Of course, focusing on quotes like

Danny Benjamin is a pediatrician with Duke University and the ABC Science Collaborative, which has long advised school districts that masking can be highly effective against COVID spread. “If you’re in a school district that masks, the risk of COVID is much less at school than it is outside of school, because school is one of the few places where people actually enforce mitigation measures.”

and

Danny Benjamin at the ABC Science Collaborative also believes that mask mandates can be safely relaxed, post-surge — assuming high vaccination rates — meaning 100% for adults and at least 70% for students.

it completely glosses over

Across the country, about two-thirds of large school districts currently require students to wear masks.

If you want to quickly make your point, why not compare and contrast the results from the 1/3 schools without masks with those mandating masks? Show how much safer it is? But no data at all, just vague claims that schools with masks are safer. It’s because they cant show data - the schools without masks are not any worse off than those with masks. The only thing needed to “safely” remove masking requirements is to…remove the requirement.

For all the blame being thrown at mentally ill covidiots, it’s those throwing the blame who are basing it all on theory and beliefs, rather than science and practical application.

It’s baffling how there are remain so many hellbent on following the leadership of those who are now 100 weeks into a “two week” resolution, and ignore, if not outright villanize, the leadership of those who are actually succeeding with minimizing adverse impacts without magnifying risk.

2 Likes