Does the coronavirus merit investment, or personal, concern or consideration?

I didn’t realize the Bee was the source of the last quote, and thought 'ol Doc Fauci was showing his age, and not earning his highest paid government employee title.

Rising cases in the US, and hospitalizations too.

What does this rising COVID-19 case count tell us about what to expect moving forward?

Lemieux: It doesn’t seem like a good sign, in the sense that there’s already a lot of immunity in the population. Many people have been infected with BA.1 on top of being vaccinated, so a very small fraction of the population doesn’t have some degree of immunity to SARS-CoV-2—and yet there’s a significant outbreak that is accelerating. It suggests that we’re not in the endemic phase,… These novel variants are not very different from what came before them—they are only a few amino acids different, so these are minor changes in the virus genome—and yet they are behaving categorically differently.

Tomorrow’s news today

2 Likes

Exaggerate much? That “highest number since March” barely even registers:

Source:
https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/los-angeles-county/

At the time of publication, Anthony Fauci was spotted at the Bronx Zoo high-fiving a macaque.

It can’t get any more apocryphal than that.

“I can’t believe it’s monkey-pox season already and I haven’t even taken my Ukrainian decorations down.”

1 Like

Moving right along to the new pox…

• CDC PLANS TO SIMPLIFY DATA IT COLLECTS ON COVID CASES
  • CDC PLANS TO STOP COLLECTING DATA ON `SUSPECTED’ CASES
1 Like

On the China lockdowns and odd vax policies

so we are looking at the majority
of chinese manufacturing for all intents
and purposes being inaccessible to the
wider world or even to the internal
chinese system

now i’ve been telling my clients for
quite some time that it was only a
matter of
issue as to how the american chinese
relationship imploded could be trump
could be biden could be energy could be
food could be security could be trade
could be ethics could be genocide you
know there it’s a long list
but it appears that covet ultimately is
the one that is winning out

the chinese vaccine does not work
against kovid and the chinese have spent
the last two years lambasting the world
and lying in the propaganda that they
are the only country that even
remotely dealt well with kovid um and
they’ve specifically parroted a lot of
the crazy theories out there about the western
vaccines that they make you magnetic or
they make you infertile or whatever else
so they can’t import the western
vaccines at all they have to wait till
they make their own mrna formula and
there’s no way that’s going to happen in
the next year or two

so lockdowns are the only public health
policy they have and now the majority of
the parts of china that matter
are offline

1 Like

They may suspect the CIA is putting trackers in the vaccine. You can bet they’ve been working on it.

He’s not giving them enough credit, they can spy pretty well. If they can put a spy beside a U.S. Senator for 20 years, they can certainly put one in the FDA/CDC. Oh wait, they’ve already got one there - they apparently haven’t found the correct remuneration.

CA getting closer to stripping doctors of their license for proscribing ivermectin or other drugs for covid not approved by Big Pharma.

With stats like this CA doc, you can see why Big Pharma would be worried.

Personally, Haider has treated over 50,000 COVID-related patients, many of them elderly. He said that among his patients, there have been zero deaths and only five hospitalizations. Despite his success, under California’s proposed Bill AB 2098, doctor’s using similar methods would have the state interfere and persecute them for providing independent care.

“Like a lot of other doctors around the world, I’ve just been trying to raise awareness of this,” Haider explained. “But, like a lot of doctors in America, I’ve gotten letters from the American Medical Association, the Federal State Medical Board warning me that my license is at risk if I speak out about vaccines or if I spread misinformation or if I prescribe ivermectin. I’ve had pushback from pharmacists, insurance companies, from medical boards in multiple states, that have sent me complaints and asked me to explain why I am conducting experimental trials on patients and why I am prescribing ivermectin.”

Prior to all of this, Haider had worked for over 10 years as a trained hospital physician in internal medicine and had “never had a single complaint from anyone on anything.”

4 Likes

A reminder from the LA Times that the worst part of monkey pox is that it might get blamed on the gay community, who, they’re happy to remind us, were once persecuted by Nazis (and not ones in Ukraine)

Sure, a small group of infected or at risk people could stop the whole outbreak by laying off the partying for a month while this got sorted out, but surely that’s too homophobic to be a basis for national health policy. Tolerance and more expensive vaccines are surely the best way forward, especially for something with a historical 1% fatality rate.

2 Likes

The antiviral pills don’t just work in trials - here’s data from Omicron BA2 out of Hong Kong. PFE’s much moreso than Merck’s, both in early use and in early hospitalization cases.

After propensity score weighting, nirmatrelvir/ritonavir use (weighted hazard ratio 0·79, 95% CI 0·65-0·95, P =0·011) but not molnupiravir use (weighted hazard ratio 1·17, 95% CI 0·99-1·39, P =0·062) was associated with a reduced risk of hospitalisation than non-users.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.19.22275291v1

Oral antiviral use was associated with a significantly lower risk of the composite outcome of disease progression (molnupiravir: HR=0.53, 95%CI=0.46-0.62, p<0.001; nirmatrelvir/ritonavir: HR=0.33, 95%CI=0.24-0.46, p<0.001) than non-use, which was consistently observed for all-cause mortality (molnupiravir: HR=0.55, 95%CI=0.47-0.63, p<0.001; nirmatrelvir/ritonavir: HR=0.32, 95%CI=0.23-0.45, p<0.001)

2 Likes

How does one doctor treat so many patients in 2 years? Or should that “treat” be in quotes because he was just signing prescriptions en-masse? (I’m just guessing, I didn’t read the article).

I didn’t know of him before this article, but this one suggests that was how many preventative ivermectin scripts he wrote with actual (symptomatic?) cases being some 10% of that.

More of his claimed stats here, sounds like 1/1000 hospitalized out of actual covid cases. This seems good, since the hospitalization rate for adults is like 1% and rises to 5-20% for older ones based on some quick reading (it’s probably a lot lower with vaccines now, although it’s unclear how many of his patients have those).

He’s got a sense of humor even through all this, so he’s not all bad.

Scabies is not dangerous at all, but it is really really itchy and severely annoying. It’s OK to use ivermectin for scabies even though it’s off label, because it might work for scabies based on 2 small studies that were done once upon a time, and doctors have seen that when they give ivermectin to someone with scabies they tend to get better pretty fast and if they don’t give it for scabies they don’t get better at all. So in this case we can trust physicians’ judgement even without good studies to back it up because scabies isn’t life threatening.

Some doctors mistakenly think they see similar patterns with off label medications like ivermectin used for COVID-19.

But those doctors are wrong and the CDC is right.

1 Like

Trouble in Paradise

With coronavirus-positive hospitalizations in Los Angeles County on the rise, officials said the nation’s most populous county could be poised to see a new universal indoor mask mandate later this month if the upward trends continue.

Smaller . . . . . . . . . . is better. :wink:

1 Like

Monkey humor

2 Likes

Tourists welcome. covid testing for incoming flights scrapped.

WHITE HOUSE TO ANNOUNCE FRIDAY ADMINISTRATION WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE PREDEPARTURE COVID TESTING FOR INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAVELERS EFFECTIVE SUNDAY JUNE 12 AT 12:01 AM ET – ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL

BIDEN ADMINISTRATION TO ANNOUNCE FRIDAY THAT CDC IS LIFTING REQUIREMENT FOR TRAVELERS TO TEST NEGATIVE BEFORE ENTERING THE U.S. - CNN REPORTER

2 Likes

School shutdowns hurt students - can’t blame covid only covid policies. Sweden schools did just fine staying open.

3 Likes

But you’re just endorsing the mass slaughter of children by leaving schools open!

1 Like

Just as we’re reading reports of surges (covidpalooza 4?, 5?) in Europe and some liberal U.S. cities.