Electric car investment opportunities beyond Tesla

This is an interesting post because it is almost completely untrue.

Perhaps the funniest thing you wrote was about the Keystone XL pipeline which was being built by a Canadian company to ship Canadian oil to and through the US, i.e. imported oil.

Most of the rest of the post is nonsense as well, as with increased renewables the US will be less reliant on oil and less dependent on oil prices which are set internationally and dependent somewhat on Mideast oil whether actually using such oil or not.

One has to be careful of confirmation bias in thinking.

2 Likes

This is an interesting post because it is almost completely untrue.

Perhaps the funniest thing you wrote was about the Keystone XL pipeline which was being built by a Canadian company to ship Canadian oil to and through the US, i.e. imported oil.

Most of the rest of the post is nonsense as well, as with increased renewables the US will be less reliant on oil and less dependent on oil prices which are set internationally and dependent somewhat on Mideast oil whether actually using such oil or not.

One has to be careful of confirmation bias in thinking.

whether itā€™s imported from Canada or not itā€™s a lot more reliable than depending on the Middle East and your fellow leftist was moaning about having to have troops there. Last I heard we havenā€™t had to defend Canadian oil with our troops recently.

Renewables are a pipe dream that are impractical now and will always be so because of their inherent intermittent nature and low energy density.

So you are blowing a lot of smoke. Oil smokešŸ¤«

1 Like

Renewables are growing enormously, very practical, and cheaper than fossil fuel. Many midwestern states get 30-50% of their electricity from windpower. Rebewables work extremely well which is why they are growing.

You are more interested in making this about politics then the real subject. Thatā€™s why you are unable to look at things objectively, just spouting emotional-political nonsense without a shred of fact and promoting a pipeline for imported oil, because you donā€™t care about the facts.

Just so you know, the red states are leading in windpower. Texas is by far #1. Iowa gets about 40% of its electricity from wind.

5 Likes

renewables are impractical and dangerous to the environment. Here in California we had blackouts because the power grid could not provide power to replace solar panels that stop producing after the sun went down in the summer. And we saw the problem with intermittent nature in Texas recently.

Thereā€™s no way they are cheaper without a subsidy from the government

Now you want to pretend blackouts only happen because of renewables? Did they ever happen before? And they are dangerous? Compared to refinery explosions, oil spills, gas explosions?

And, yes they are cheaper now than other fuels which receive much greater subsidies than renewables. Try and discuss things credibly, based on facts, instead of just throwing out wild nonsense.

1 Like

92% of my stateā€™s power comes from nat gas, nuclear, and hydroelectric. (About 37% ng, 33% nuclear, 22% hydro)

That means my car is powered by domestically-sourced energy, and others can be too!

1 Like

Lol texas blackouts were caused by coal powerplants going offline. Try again

1 Like

When & where did we have blackouts? I live in rural Central CA country & occasionally our electricity goes out. We are used to it, but Iā€™m trying to remember CA blackouts. No arguments just interest! :blush:

Huh? Iā€™m pretty sure we donā€™t burn oil for electricity. Are you saying that extraction of natural gas requires extraction of oil? Btw natural gas isnā€™t all that clean either, we clearly need greener energy sources (wind, solar, thermal) before we can all enjoy electric cars. But if I were to get one, Iā€™d also install solar (right now it doesnā€™t make sense because my usage is so low).

I would suggest that the cost of cleaning up the environment be included in the price of oil and oil-based products. Your argument was that cap and trade on carbon is a subsidy to EV companies, to which I responded that environmental damage is a subsidy to ICE companies (because they donā€™t bear the cost of cleaning up the damage).

1 Like

Lucky for us human nature is also intermittent. Weā€™re supposed to be asleep when itā€™s dark outside! :grinning:

But seriously there are many ways to store the intermittent energy. Batteries and heat are the most obvious, but there are other interesting and practical ideas, like pumping water upstream between reservoirs (then hydro at night).

Last August. It was ā€œrollingā€ (by ā€œrotating outage groupā€ you might find on your electric bill) and most people were not affected.

30% of Americans rent and most of those are in apartments of some sort. So thats actually a pretty decent % of the country. OTOH iā€™d imagine a fair # of those apartment renters donā€™t have cars.

Youā€™re really stretching for an unrealistic contrived calamity there.

ā€œThe latest International Monetary Fund (IMF) report estimates 6.5 percent of global GDP ($5.2 trillion) was spent on fossil fuel subsidies (including negative externalities) in 2017,ā€
(source)

Note it does include ā€˜negative externalitiesā€™. Thats things like environmental and health costs. The negative health impact of fossil fuel use is signficant.
Iā€™d also like to add our countries foreign war budget and how much of that is directly a result of fossil fuel interests. Imagine if we didnā€™t care about oil as a nation then windd back the last 30 years of foreign conflicts for the USA. How many wars in the middle east would we be involved in if we didnā€™t care about oil? For me being able to give some of those folks the middle finger and ignore them for the rest of forever is reason enough to prefer lowering oil consumption.

3 Likes

Since this thread is about electric car investment opportunities, hereā€™s a comprehensive look at the state of the industry:

It includes sales by manufacturer and mentions the many nations and cities planning to ban fossil fuel vehicles.

Tesla is #1 in sales YTD. BMW, VW, Mercedes, Volvo, and Audi are in the top 10.

For US investors the most popular stocks outside of Tesla are 3 Chinese companies: NIO, XPEV, and Li Auto. BYD is also popular and is the one Buffett invested in 12 years ago and still holds. Buffett invested $232 million and the current stake is worth $5.9 billion. BYD builds a lot of EV buses as well.

Most of the legacy automakers are making EVs and will probably do well but they also have to cope with the hangover of expense of ICE vehicles they produce and have facilties for. They require many more parts and are more expensive to produce.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just one illustration. When you need power cord(s) ran across driveways and walkways and places where children play regularly, the potential for calamities is not contrived. This is about waking up in the morning to find your car didnt charge as expected, not about 43 different things happening just right so that your electric car ends up burning down your house - thatā€™d be an unrealistic contrived calamity.

This was an interesting article. I really like all this info on EVā€™s in one concise spot.

The only thing missing is the various prices. Tesla #1, but the upcoming Mercedes is a beauty.

Thatā€™s just 3 years away!
Is this just new sales or existing cars too?

Rome is banning diesel vehicles from the cityā€™s historic center only.

Warren Buffett, heā€™s my man! Only took 13 years. lol

Truly a genus, but the old saying from the old man, ā€œtakes money to make moneyā€.

Environmental damage is a consequence of not living in the dark ages. Thankfully, all the things that have resulted from the environmental damage caused by burning fossil fuels have made us exponentially richer in every facet of our lives than we were before AND the damage has been relatively minor considering all the benefits.

Itā€™s insignificant (microscopic) in comparison to the negative health impact of a world without fossil fuel usage.

It depends on what those countries would have done to Israel if we didnā€™t show that we were interested in fighting over there.

Since when are ICE vehicles more expensive to produce?

1 Like

This thread is about EV investment opportunities.

If you want to extol the virtues of fossil fuels over everything else, maybe start a different thread?

On another note: What does your intuition tell you is going to happen with motor vehicles and energy production in the future? Is it going forward with new, efficient, cleaner, and cheaper technologies, or sticking with old, inefficient, polluting, much more dangerous expensive technologies dependent on limited resources?

1 Like