Fed's balance sheet spikes by almost $300 billion in a week

At its peak in 2022 the Fed’s balance sheet hit a high of $8.9T. Over the last year they got this down to around $8.3T.

However since the fallout of SVB, in under a week, the Fed’s balance sheet has risen back over $8.6T and is now on pace to make new all time highs by next week.

Source: Assets: Total Assets: Total Assets (Less Eliminations from Consolidation): Wednesday Level (WALCL) | FRED | St. Louis Fed

I would usually share an article, but I can’t really find anyone reporting on this.

2 Likes

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Here’s something that touches on this issue:

Yes, the Fed is apparently trying to quit smoking AND lose weight at the same time. From personal experience, I can attest that it’s nigh on impossible.

1 Like

Buying up the underwater assets of the banks at face value is essentially a return to quantitative easing. So it is no surprise that their balance sheet increases. But the amount is surprising. Even for the Fed that’s a lot of money.

2 Likes

Others are starting to notice

3 Likes

Patient must swallow the medicine, no spoon full of sugar. I wonder how this will affect USD short/long term

1 Like

One way to quantify this is with the price of gold, which typically moves inversely to the dollar.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/gold-prices-surge-to-1-year-high-as-banking-jitters-persist/ar-AA18QOYP

1 Like