Free consumer Reports - Experian Equifax Transunion Early Warning etc

First page of application allows mobile or home. I guess there’s something else after that first page? Like something for 2FA or identity verification?

Having a CapOne account should avoid that. Also CreditWise provides the same TransUnion report and VantageScore 3 as CreditKarma (however long that might last).

1 Like

Exactly.

It was the identity verification that got me.

I told them the number I provided was a “home phone”.

It did no good. They apparently have no provision for landlines.

It’s interesting because I routinely satisfy verifications that come in over my landline . . . you get a recording with the number. Apparently at Cap One it is text only.

2 Likes

Do you have a CapOne 360 savings account? Everyone should have a CapOne card. Even if you don’t travel, you can still buy things from overseas and not have to pay a FTF. And, you don’t have to enter a phone number when you activate CreditWise. :grinning:

I’m not a Cap One customer. But their blurb says being a customer is not a requirement to get CreditWise. So I tried anyway.

CreditWise did ask for a mobile number to text me alerts for my account but I clicked on the “No thanks” button. I guess they will email alerts to me.

If they require a number strictly for texting, then you could get a free google voice number and get texts that way. But it’s also possible that they require a post-paid mobile number to verify you via subscriber info or something, in which case GV won’t work.

CapOne has decent sign up bonuses for savings products around certain holidays, like Independence Day and Memorial Day. So if you really want this product plus a financial incentive, that’d be the way to go.

1 Like

What’s a landline? Haven’t had one in years so assumed they had gone away. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use GV with Cap One.

So do I, but I already had accounts so I didn’t need to go through whatever methods CreditWise uses to authenticate non-customers.

We should all chip in and get @shinobi a pre-paid cheapo cell phone. He could only use it 4 times a year for free stuff like this. Oh, and keep in the glovebox for emergencies. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But then they can use the phone’s GPS signal to track him! /adjusts tin foil hat/

2 Likes

FICO under investigation for monopolizing credit scores.

1 Like

Some updates:

IDA is now part of Lexis Nexis: request FCRA report and state-specific opt-outs here, Security Freeze here.

ARS (a Visa subsidiary): Security Freeze here. They don’t have an online form to request a free annual report.

3 Likes

Eek! I’ve found Lexis/Nexis to be, at best, laughable when it comes to privacy and security. Their management of CLUE reports is, at best, a joke. They actually asked me, and I presume many others, to send my SSN through unencrypted email. Sheesh!

I will never provide them with accurate info, and that is sad because they have access to a wealth of data. Alas, if only they were more privacy and security focused.

It’s better than asking you to send your SSN through unencrypted email :rofl:

FYI, got my Chex report recently and found out that CreditKarma has been doing a monthly soft pull since January of 2023. They don’t seem to be doing anything with this information (I have inquiries from opening bank accounts, but CK didn’t mention it), and I can’t find much more about it online. It’d actually be nice if they were “monitoring” it properly, like with email alerts for inquiries.

2 Likes

That kinda worries me a bit about why they’d do that. I’ll check my own CK history to see if I notice the same pattern.

Honestly the case for using CK is getting a lot weaker for me. I don’t check my credit record that frequently that the 3 annual reports would not be sufficient. And almost all my credit card issuers monitor my credit for new inquiries for free. For my most recent credit card applications, I got notified of hard pulls by other credit card companies (Discover and Citi) a few minutes before getting a similar email from CK.

CK’s kinda becoming more of a spam source than a credit monitoring resource for me. Them performing soft pulls constantly to sell more up to date personal info for marketing purposes, could make the decision to quit using them quite a bit easier.

2 Likes

I have news for you, they’re now free weekly.

I like that CK does a diff with the previous reports, tells me what changed. I’m not aware of any Citi benefit that notify of hard pulls. As far as I know, Citi only provides a free monthly Bankcard Score 8 from Equifax, as mentioned in this thread’s wiki. I also get notifications from Discover, but that only covers TransUnion.

1 Like

My bad, it was not Citi but Capital One who alerted me.

But, I thought that Discover monitored Experian, not Transunion. Capital one does both. Chase and AMEX monitor Transunion only. I could be wrong since I haven’t checked this info lately.

In any case, thanks for correcting me on the frequency of free credit bureau reports. That’s even more reason to not need CK as much as when you could only get 3 reports/yr.

Actually I’m wrong too, I don’t get notifications from Discover. Discover Identity Alerts (free) does monitor Experian, but it requires an optional signup. Without a signup, Discover only provides TransUnion FICO score.

CapOne does alerts from both TU and EX. That leaves EQ uncovered.