Free Will Online - Fabric Life Insurance

I read up on will creation on FWF back in the good old days, but somebody just sent me this startup life insurance “disrupter” type company Fabric. One of their services is free will creation (you don’t even have to sign up for any of their services AFAIK)

The direct link is here, as its a little tedious to find on the site, but I would appreciate any insight into whether this is beneficial or not. Thanks!

2 Likes

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

It seems like a very touchy-feely, light and airy kind of a website that I suppose could be beneficial when selling insurance to younger consumers.

I used it to create the attached will. The will is not the worst I’ve seen, but should probably be the beginning of a will that can be edited. Of course, if you search for how to write a will, you will find some pretty decent, and more detailed templates that often have additional suggestions.

I used a temp email address and will see how much they spam me over the next couple of weeks before deleting it.

Oops! It looks like I can’t upload a pdf … sorry.

1 Like

Thanks - thats really helpful of you. It’s kind of what I figured.

Do you have any specific online templates that you would recommend? There is so much out there, and I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between the bad and the good.

Thanks again!

My first will was a rush job and I had a lawyer do it. The next one was DIY, and I checked out a slew of sites. The downloadable, editable form on tidyform.com is what I started with. It seemed to fall in line with the other sites and was easily editable, so it was the winner. Just make sure that you check out your state’s requirements for a will, particularly notarization. I can’t recall where I found it, but pretty sure it was my state’s government site.

Obligatory disclaimer, I am not a lawyer and nothing I ever think, say, or write is legal advice. :wink:

edited to add – I’m closing the address given to Fabric - one spam message a day to sell me insurance, tell me how great they are, how important I am , how good I look, blah, blah.

and … Make sure you’ve got a fallback charity or two as your beneficiary of last resort. Otherwise the gubment will get it.

another edit to correct the state dot gov error. Thanks Scripta.

^^^ if you meant a “state government website” when you wrote “state dot gov,” you might want to fix it. Cause it’s a link to the Dept of State.

1 Like

Good point. First check with your own state’s website, many have sample forms, that you then know will be in compliance with that state’s estate laws.

Although this is more on the registration side of creating a will, it’s even more important than the will content in a way since failing to meet those requirements will disqualify a will entirely in some cases. Pay attention especially to the requirements for witnesses. Having it notarized may not be enough since typically the notary is a single person and many states require more than one witness. I know for our state, the lawyer had to have their assistant present for when we signed the wills and trust documents just for that purpose.

The site says it includes a checklist to make it legally binding. Hopefully it’s accurate.

IIRC, they gave recommendations on witnesses, notaries, and such. I don’t remember if they mentioned a self-proving affidavit. However, it is what I used in my last two wills. They’re more of a hassle, but eliminate the need for any witnesses to testify, or even be located, thus improving the speed of probate.

Disclaimer: I am still not a lawyer.