GameStop Thread

Why they failed to sell stock and raise capital for the company. Short answer - regulatory risks / SEC discouraged it.

It has often been said you can sell the US investor a heaping pile of :poop: as long as you clearly tell them that. GME mgmt wasn’t up to the task.

1 Like

Can shareholders now sue them for failing their fiduciary duty by not selling other investors the flaming turd to raise much-needed cash?

3 Likes

Hope Mr DFV raised enough for lawyers. DOJ is looking into a criminal probe for fraud generally and I’m sure he’s gonna get probed.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gamestop-mania-is-focus-of-federal-probes-into-possible-manipulation-11613066950

The Justice Department’s fraud section and the San Francisco U.S. attorney’s office have sought information about the activity from brokers and social-media companies that were hubs for the trading frenzy, the people said. Prosecutors have subpoenaed information from brokers such as Robinhood Markets Inc., the popular online brokerage that many individual investors used to trade GameStop and other shares, the people said.

2 Likes

Next up - suing members of SI for comments made 25 years ago.

Not sure who that is, but how the hell is RobinHood making money. I don’t know much about them, but a grandkid got in on the GME bus, and bought a whopping 22 shares. She’s got stock in around a hundred companies, but not more than 30 shares in any one. Are they making all of their money from order flow? And how does that work if the grandkid is a typical client. Your not going to make order-flow money on a 5 share order.

Yes. They make a lot on options flow especially. Volatile stocks are good for them too. They get a 1/3 of a penny per share ballpark on stocks, so they need to encourage you to trade a lot.

2 Likes

and

2 Likes

gamestop

2 Likes

a long story about a wild trader/gambler. he blew up many times chasing the big score over the years and finally got one where he cashed out.

As I talked to McCaskill at the end of January, GameStop was at $325 a share, the whole world was obsessed with it, and his cup was about to runneth over. Yet the next day he planned to run a volleyball tournament at King Louie’s for $700. Here, too, was a paradox. McCaskill had no intention of letting his newfound fortune change him. If anything, the money afforded him the privilege to continue being exactly the same person he has always been. “I’m not going to go buy the Lambo and act like an imbecile,” he says. “I’m pretty minimalist. It’s more of just the satisfaction of, I did that .”

Despite catching his white whale, the guy who got GameStop is still a Wall Street player without a college degree. A beach bum in a town with no beach.

1 Like

class action case suing Keith Gill for securities fraud.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-17/-roaring-kitty-sued-for-securities-fraud-over-gamestop-rise?srnd=markets-vp

the sad part is they claim he lied by saying he was an amateur investor instead of a financial professional, so clearly people took him more seriously than they should have.

1 Like

Guy lost $200K selling call options on GME. Now wants to be made whole by Keith Gill or Mass Mutual Life Insurance --Gill’s former employer.

Question for the legal experts…, is MMLI responsible for supervising Mr. Gill’s investment activities if he conducted them from his place of residence and without his boss’s knowledge?

I didn’t get risk free money! Bail me out!

3 Likes

There were always going to be morons who get burned in this and looking to shift the blame to someone else for them losing their gambling bets on GME. Very predictable that some still think they should not be held accountable for their own risky decisions.

2 Likes

I’d think the class action lawsuits would all fail. But really… This moron couldn’t have run his interview content by Legal first, could he have?
In prior interviews, he said before he pulled the plug on only the demand but not supply side at IBKR to “protect other participants”[who were short] and was NOT any sort of liquidity issue at IBKR.

And then he clearly says the price would have been much higher (in the $1000s) if he hadn’t… “How about ‘Market Manipulation’ for $10B, Alex?”

1 Like

I still have my hundred shares but bought a protective put for it at 50, which looks like it may be used. I’ve been selling weekly calls off those shares recently. The premiums still seem high enough that it might be worth it to sell puts on it at 40 or 35.

Government politicians holding hearings, ie “doing something”, possibly to be followed by some dumb largely unrelated rules.

“I am not a cat”

1 Like

Wait - Is this the GME thread, or the home loan bailout thread, or the pay my tuition thread?

2 Likes

Yes, the absolute BEST time to do something is while you (or your most loud-mouthed constituents) are crying bucketfuls of tears or enraged. It’s guaranteed to produce something at least as good as the Magna Carta. :frowning_face:

1 Like

The put was used and I am thinking about selling weekly puts next week at around 35 or 40. DFV is still long and a fair price might be around 60 or 70.

Why would you think that?

That seems kinda high to me. I’m thinking more like $10

1 Like

This is something, therefore it must be done. Dumb stock trading tax ideas.

2 Likes