How large will be your Thanksgiving gathering?

As I read this I’m imagining the Star Trek food synthesizer…

Compared to the quality of instant mashed potatoes when we were kids, it does feel pretty close to Star Trek level technology :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m very interested, and now starting to get hungry. :slight_smile: I’ve never cooked a duck, much less smoked one. What kind of wood do you use and do you use a dry rub or liquid basting?

Duck is so fatty that it is pretty hard to screw it up. It’s going to be more of a slow-cook in a smoker than it is properly smoking the meat.

1 Like

A new puppy… Love it…
I mentioned earlier that we lost our 14 year old friend last month. Terrible thing is last year we lost another dog. Very bad year with our pets. Now we only have 1 old barn kitty.

So I’ve been watching the papers for puppy ads. Yesterday, German Sheppard puppies for sale. I called, they will be ready to go out 12/24. They have a litter of 10 & taking deposits now. I’m going to drag my husband out to take a look at them today. They are AKC $800.

Or you could go for a rescue dog which would be free. :wink:

My in-laws sent us 20 oz of duck foie gras with truffles from a producer near their new home. They know me well hehe. That bumped my enthusiasm for Thxgiving considerably lol! I just need to pick a good Cabernet Franc from the cellar … Too bad this stuff is so bad for you (and your wallet) or I’d have some every week. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know. I visited the pound a couple time, but no puppies. Also, some rescue dogs have been treated so badly in early life. Just a thing for me.

1 Like

Yeah people get puppies and then dump them when they’re no longer the adorable clumsy furballs. And yes it’s heartbreaking to see how badly some have been treated. Some are really hard to rehabilitate no matter how caring you are. They just never let their guard down any more from previous mistreatment. :frowning:

1 Like

This is going to be our second rescue. The first was an exceptionally good and bad dog. The smartest dog I’ve ever been around. Rarely needed commands. She just “knew” what to do. Our last move had us in an apartment for 10 months as we learned the area and searched for a home. With no room for exercise, I rented a field and ended up teaching her agility at 12 years old, just to wear her out. Oh, the bad - she was also the most dog aggressive dog I’ve ever been around. :sob: Fine for the farm, but we lived in the burbs. We had to put her down at 15 in August, and I still can’t really talk about her without tearing up.

Our new pup was found wandering near the housing projects. Animal control was full and said she’d likely be put down after 4 days if no one claimed her. The rescuer posted on the local lost dog sites and started looking for foster homes. We’re fostering her with the expectation of adopting if no one claims her. Not as smart as the first one, but very dog friendly - an equitable trade. I just hope she’s heartworm negative and not pregnant. :fearful:

+1 :slight_smile:

…and with one of the kids’ teachers testing positive this week, common sense has prevailed. Turns out I will not be alone for the weekend. Unfortunately :zipper_mouth_face:.

1 Like

I can rent you a puppy for the day … cheap! She’s got some learning to do on bite inhibition. That, combined with the fact she’s a herder, should keep the rugrats in line.

1 Like

The dilemma of the caring introvert. :rofl: Hope it all goes well glitch!

1 Like

Okay, was it half as bad as you thought?
Or, as my father says, it wasn’t half bad?
Did you get some good Covidvibrations?
What is, and how to end, a Haiku?
Not sure, for sure, but this is it, for sure.

The Thanksgiving holiday is behind us and voting here has been closed. Thanks to everyone for your vote and for your participation.

It appears for our group here that Thanksgiving gatherings this year were on the light side. Let’s hope Thanksgiving 2021 is closer to normal.

3 Likes

If it hasn’t been replaced by a more politically correct holiday. Maybe “Fall Festival”. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

With a tastier bird, like a goose, replacing the disgusting turkey.

Oh wait, I’m thinking of duck. But goose is prolly better than turkey.

1 Like

The turkey is noble and majestic, and if you’ve ever hunted them, you know how smart they are. The goose, tasty and saucy, is for Christmas. Crow will be the new bird for whatever replaces Thanksgiving, and according to sources, the other replacement holiday will be celebrated with Albatross. :smile:

5 Likes

Oh wait, I’m thinking of duck. But goose is prolly better than turkey.

To report back on that – the duck was excellent – but WAY “lower yield” than a leaner bird of a similar weight.

3 adults and 2 kids resulted in almost no left-overs.

Not the worst situation in the world – but something to keep in mind if you ever buy duck.

2 Likes

That was our results as well. Although it was very tasty, it was also way more expensive than turkey for the amount of meat you get. And there’d be no way to have duck by itself if you have a semi-large crowd unless you have multiple ovens. On the plus side though, it cooked much faster than even the smallest turkey you could get.

2 Likes