Individual Stock Discussions

Checking the FDIC insurance status of an account needs to be part of opening it. If you do not have the terms and conditions you probably received when you opened the account, it is worth a visit to their website. If that does not clear it up, give them a call but be sure you get whether the account is insured in writing. If it is not insured, I suggest you pull your money out.

Average people dont have accounts that exceed the insurance limits and need to be bailed out.

1 Like

Generally, money market accounts are insured no differently than savings. Money market mutual funds are not. Not sure how many, if any, exceptions there are to that ‘rule’.

2 Likes

This was my thought as well… but a bank run on a community bank could impact small businesses with deposits in excess of $250,000. As I said before, the political impact of that looks a lot worse if it’s an independent auto repair shop or a mom and pop restaurant versus a winery or tech startup.

1 Like

Politically, at least in this context, a business with a $500k cash bank balance is one of the evil rich, no matter how “small” the business may be.

Do business accounts/entities receive FDIC coverage at all? I’d assume those opened with a SSN would be covered under the owner’s standard coverage, but what about corps using TINs?

Let’s try to move the “run on the bank” discussions here.

Interesting insight into cash reserves of small businesses.

Median cash reserves across all sectors of small business is just over $12,000.
And 75th percentile in high-tech manufacturing is only $142k (sector with highest typical cash reserves in the report)

I suspect the percentage of small businesses at risk from exceeding FDIC insurance limits is much much smaller than the percentage of small businesses at risk from being under-capitalized :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ll try to make this relevant to “individual stock discussions” rather than bank failures :smiley: .

Holy crap that is a lot lower than I would have thought. I would be on pins and needles trying to make payroll twice a month with that kind of money. Perhaps I am more risk averse than average… but a median of 12k, really? What happens when the water heater goes out? Or when rent is hiked up?

I get that idle cash on a balance sheet means those are dollars that can’t be used for growth… but a rainy day fund is a necessity, no?

These are all small businesses and the absolute amount is not relevant. Maybe the median business doesn’t have a water heater or rent? The only thing relevant, I think, is that the median cash buffer is enough for 27 days of expenses for that median business. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Also these are all Chase Business customers. I wouldn’t keep any reserves at Chase either – their interest-bearing accounts are barren.

2 Likes

And for many small businesses, the owner continuously siphons off free cashflow. And considers their own pocket to be the rainy day fund, should it be needed.

2 Likes

SIVB-now-SIVBQ and SBNY resumed trading otc today, having been kicked off Nasdaq. I covered my shorts. They are $0.30 and $0.13 per share respectively as I write this, down 99.x%.

4 Likes

Congrats on a very nice move. I’ve given up on (been scared off of) shorts and now only buy puts. I misread Amazon terribly, and while rewarded in the end, Zitel bent me over more than expected before finally paying off.

2023 Q1, total returns

I guess banking crisis really are good for gold, but moreso for Bitcoin. Let’s hear it for the crypto bulls, back to mid '22 levels but up nicely off the lows.

ticker type Q1’23
BTC bitcoin +73%
QQQ tech +14%
EFA foreign (developed) +14%
SPY large caps +10%
GLD gold +7%
JNK junk bonds +5%
IWM small caps +5%
CPI inflation (est) +2%
BND bonds +2%
USD cash +1%
PFF preferreds -0%
EEM foreign (emerging) -2%

handy link for these

Woulda been better to just be long SPY, but where’s the fun in that?

S&P500 stocks YTD - big tech, big winners; others up more modestly overall.

2 Likes

The total Stock market Index ETF, VTI, is up 7.2%

1 Like

FRC, the most troubled of the non-bankrupt banks, looks to be headed for zero. They ran up into earnings and then have been collapsing every since. Layoffs, half their deposits left, trying to fire sale half their assets, and the Feds making noises like maybe they won’t let them keep borrowing lots of Fed money to make up for their lost deposits for much longer.

When a bank loses their customers’ (or regulators’) confidence, its game over. I was short some and now I’m short a lot more.

1 Like

BBBY is down to 12c or so, bankrupt, with the business headed for liquidation and the stock headed for delisting. I’m no longer short as much, but this was pretty obvious unless you joined a cult of supportive meme stock “bagholders” trying to relive their glory days of GameStop.

Here’s a nice recap. BBBagggY

this is an article for nobody. Perhaps some large language model AI will eventually ingest it, and it will make the the internet a slightly less baggy place one day. But it is not this day. Look at the below, and weep for humanity

And some of the sad stories of misguided investors

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/i-lost-100-000-investors-share-bed-bath-beyond-losses-on-reddit-after-company-sold-millions-of-shares-ahead-of-bankruptcy-filing/ar-AA1aoi3Q?ocid=FinanceShimLayer
Big picture

Last week

Oh, and

:round_pushpin:Gift Cards . Use em’ or lose em’ folks. The debtors will accept them for fourteen days!

1 Like

FRC - It’s dead, Jim.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/first-republic-shares-gain-hopes-rescue-deal-2023-04-28/

The U.S. banking regulator decided the troubled regional lender’s position has deteriorated and there is no more time to pursue a rescue through the private sector, the source told Reuters,

Still trading at $2 tho, and overvalued by about $2.

3 Likes

2023 Q2, total returns

Normal intelligence wouldn’t have had you bet big on tech stocks in a rising rate environment, but with Artificial Intelligence, you could have really knocked it out of the park this quarter!

ticker type Q2’23
QQQ tech +15%
SPY large caps +9%
BTC bitcoin +7%
IWM small caps +5%
EFA foreign (developed) +3%
USD cash +1%
CPI inflation (est) +1%
EEM foreign (emerging) +1%
JNK junk bonds +1%
PFF preferreds +1%
BND bonds -1%
GLD gold -3%

handy link for these

With enough big short bets on some of the bankruptcies mentioned above, this was quite a good quarter!

S&P500 stocks Q2’23 - big tech, big winners; others up decently but less so.

3 Likes

YTD TSLA is up 159%. Up 7% today. Much short covering.

1 Like

2023 Q3, total returns

AI giveth, and Fed rate worries taketh away. The “higher for longer” view has become more recently and widely accepted, with negative consequences for both equities and bonds. Cash and inflation were the only gainers during this period.

ticker type Q3’23
USD cash +1%
CPI inflation (est) +1%
JNK junk bonds +0%
PFF preferreds -2%
BND bonds -3%
GLD gold -3%
SPY large caps -3%
QQQ tech -3%
EFA foreign (developed) -5%
IWM small caps -5%
EEM foreign (emerging) -5%
BTC bitcoin -9%

handy link for these

I guess those were some undemanding benchmarks to beat, but with a few uncooperative shorts for me this past few months (CVNA, APRN; since abandoned), I didn’t do particularly well.

S&P500 stocks Q3’23 - energy sector did well, and a few big tech names showed continued strength, but there was a lot of weakness to go around generally.

3 Likes