Individual Stock Discussions

You might not be able to dump in $30K all at once if you don’t make that much in a paycheck. Contributions must come from your paychecks AFAIK.

I agree. Let us all try harder to be civil.

1 Like

Nope, they have a form for making after tax contribution by submitting a check. Not their job to check the combined limit.

Still unclear if they actually allow it with my plan though. I can’t find the form they used to have available on the website for doing so.

1 Like

I thought “old” is a compliment? I retract!

“or not paid attention” is still valid for not knowing most retirement accounts have a restricted list of options (decided solely by the employer).

Yes you can pay by check. However, you still don’t want to exceed your total compensation, including any elective deferrals, or else you’ll have a big PITA undoing it all when they audit the plan next April.

1 Like

You’re right. $30k could be too much… I’ll have to look into it depending how things go.

Patty is simply referring to the TIAA Bank money market account. It has nothing to do with any “plan”. And wouldnt do you any good for your 401k money even if you had opened one.

1 Like

Sold another 30% (so, 50% in cash now in my employer retirement account).

I guess technically it’s 40% cash, 20% SP500, 20% MidcapValue, 20% “guaranteed return” TIAA fund at 4%.

Now across the board I am at ~$180k cash or so… With ~140k mortgage and ~20k car, I’m officially “debt free” (temporarily).

My investment accounts only have about 80% market exposure now (I count the 3 remaining ITM AAPL calls as if they were straight stock for my “exposure”)

1 Like

That’s not how it works. Having a positive net worth does not make you debt free :slight_smile:. Also cash in a tax-deferred retirement account is not equivalent to cash in a taxed account that would be necessary to pay off such debt – you’d have to account for early withdrawal penalty and income taxes you’d owe on that 401k cash.

2 Likes

I wasn’t referring to net worth. That didn’t change at all, obviously, as you point out. (Liquid NW would be ~$550, which excludes residence and car. )

Net CASH (well… including “money market” balances) only vs all loans was what I was referring to.

Further, most is actually Roth (so it is mostly equivalent…), but there is a mix… True I wouldn’t actually withdraw it all to pay off the loans, but if I changed employer I could technically withdraw most of that from the Roth contributions with no penalties or restrictions.

1 Like

This comment from Jan 2018 aged poorly. (Yes, I still have some ford… And… It still goes down from the Jan 2018 lows).

Another hindsight, prolly should have sold the other $90k indeed funds in the employer retirement account yesterday. I’m thinking if there’s a pop Monday I’ll sell some more otherwise probably just hold the other half through to the other side of the upcoming bloodbath.

How bad do you estimate the upcoming bloodbath will be? Back to the March lows?

No idea. Regret waiting until March to de-risk instead of January though… Still pretty invested/exposed even with ~50% cash now.

March lows weren’t even all that low, considering.

Maybe no bloodbath. Stonks only go up after all. [when Fed prints infinite money. And now buys corporate junk bonds directly. Next up… Fed to make direct equity purchases? SPY/etf purchases? They also further rolled back the Volcker rule yesterday to go into effect in October, so we will get to bail out the banks again like we just did a couple years ago… Privatize gains, socialize risks.]

March lows weren’t even all that low, considering.

Edit: Now the market is really set for a +50% rise next week. $100k now I moved from index / funds since last Friday (~$200k cash now between accounts including $25k in my taxable account).

1 Like

I’m out another $25k to MM ($35k index left). Now I have (combining employer acct, roth, and taxable)
$40k TIAA guaranteed
$220k cash/MM
$35k index funds
$15k ITM AAPL options
$220k equities

~$530, with about 50% cash or TIAA “bonds”.

If I count the three deep ITM options as full share value, I’m only at about 2/3 (66%) invested now.

I won’t be surprised (and I’d still be really happy) if we find out next week that nutmeg or pecans are a cure for covid19 since I have this cash sitting around now…

With AAPL at $390 earlier this morning… I was down about $192k from if I hadn’t reduced risk/leverage earlier this year by selling 16 ITM LEAPs a year early :confused: .

Still holding 3 ITM calls and ~350sh.

Just traded out 2 Jul 24 $320 calls today in my Roth purchased one or two weeks ago. I had paid ~$7 premium each above intrinsic when I purchased 2 weeks ago for $33 (x100) each. Sold for $62.90 each. Replaced with Jul 24 $370 for $17.80.

Cost me $820 more premium to remove $9000 from being at risk… but only for 2 weeks (expensive).

Probably just wasted $820… unless AAPL is below $350 in a couple weeks.

I de-risked a bit today as well.
Sold:
121 AAPL @ 383.50
69 NVDA @ 413.50
6 GOOG @ 1500.79
2 AMZN @ 3115.00

In the tech sector, I’m still holding:
130 AAPL
120 NVDA
17 GOOG
8 AMZN
100 MSFT

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-10/elon-musk-rockets-past-warren-buffett-on-billionaires-ranking

2 Likes

Aapl $400

Tsla $1800. $1/3T…

I forgot to mention I bought 2 tsla puts last thurs, too. They were looking “not great” this morning but now not so bad.
Jul 31 '20 1000 Put (Cost: $1901. IB current market value: $2470)
Jul 31 '20 800 Put (Cost: $776. market value: $990)

TSLA down another ~$40 after close. $1794.99 high today, currently $1471.01. Down 18% from the high. Darn it. I was 2 days early buying the puts.

I sent someone 500 TWTR shares and they sent me back 1000. Long TWTR :slight_smile:

4 Likes