Individual Stock Discussions

Congrats on a very nice move. I’ve given up on (been scared off of) shorts and now only buy puts. I misread Amazon terribly, and while rewarded in the end, Zitel bent me over more than expected before finally paying off.

2023 Q1, total returns

I guess banking crisis really are good for gold, but moreso for Bitcoin. Let’s hear it for the crypto bulls, back to mid '22 levels but up nicely off the lows.

ticker type Q1’23
BTC bitcoin +73%
QQQ tech +14%
EFA foreign (developed) +14%
SPY large caps +10%
GLD gold +7%
JNK junk bonds +5%
IWM small caps +5%
CPI inflation (est) +2%
BND bonds +2%
USD cash +1%
PFF preferreds -0%
EEM foreign (emerging) -2%

handy link for these

Woulda been better to just be long SPY, but where’s the fun in that?

S&P500 stocks YTD - big tech, big winners; others up more modestly overall.

2 Likes

The total Stock market Index ETF, VTI, is up 7.2%

1 Like

FRC, the most troubled of the non-bankrupt banks, looks to be headed for zero. They ran up into earnings and then have been collapsing every since. Layoffs, half their deposits left, trying to fire sale half their assets, and the Feds making noises like maybe they won’t let them keep borrowing lots of Fed money to make up for their lost deposits for much longer.

When a bank loses their customers’ (or regulators’) confidence, its game over. I was short some and now I’m short a lot more.

1 Like

BBBY is down to 12c or so, bankrupt, with the business headed for liquidation and the stock headed for delisting. I’m no longer short as much, but this was pretty obvious unless you joined a cult of supportive meme stock “bagholders” trying to relive their glory days of GameStop.

Here’s a nice recap. BBBagggY

this is an article for nobody. Perhaps some large language model AI will eventually ingest it, and it will make the the internet a slightly less baggy place one day. But it is not this day. Look at the below, and weep for humanity

And some of the sad stories of misguided investors

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/i-lost-100-000-investors-share-bed-bath-beyond-losses-on-reddit-after-company-sold-millions-of-shares-ahead-of-bankruptcy-filing/ar-AA1aoi3Q?ocid=FinanceShimLayer
Big picture

Last week

Oh, and

:round_pushpin:Gift Cards . Use em’ or lose em’ folks. The debtors will accept them for fourteen days!

1 Like

FRC - It’s dead, Jim.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/first-republic-shares-gain-hopes-rescue-deal-2023-04-28/

The U.S. banking regulator decided the troubled regional lender’s position has deteriorated and there is no more time to pursue a rescue through the private sector, the source told Reuters,

Still trading at $2 tho, and overvalued by about $2.

3 Likes

2023 Q2, total returns

Normal intelligence wouldn’t have had you bet big on tech stocks in a rising rate environment, but with Artificial Intelligence, you could have really knocked it out of the park this quarter!

ticker type Q2’23
QQQ tech +15%
SPY large caps +9%
BTC bitcoin +7%
IWM small caps +5%
EFA foreign (developed) +3%
USD cash +1%
CPI inflation (est) +1%
EEM foreign (emerging) +1%
JNK junk bonds +1%
PFF preferreds +1%
BND bonds -1%
GLD gold -3%

handy link for these

With enough big short bets on some of the bankruptcies mentioned above, this was quite a good quarter!

S&P500 stocks Q2’23 - big tech, big winners; others up decently but less so.

3 Likes

YTD TSLA is up 159%. Up 7% today. Much short covering.

1 Like

2023 Q3, total returns

AI giveth, and Fed rate worries taketh away. The “higher for longer” view has become more recently and widely accepted, with negative consequences for both equities and bonds. Cash and inflation were the only gainers during this period.

ticker type Q3’23
USD cash +1%
CPI inflation (est) +1%
JNK junk bonds +0%
PFF preferreds -2%
BND bonds -3%
GLD gold -3%
SPY large caps -3%
QQQ tech -3%
EFA foreign (developed) -5%
IWM small caps -5%
EEM foreign (emerging) -5%
BTC bitcoin -9%

handy link for these

I guess those were some undemanding benchmarks to beat, but with a few uncooperative shorts for me this past few months (CVNA, APRN; since abandoned), I didn’t do particularly well.

S&P500 stocks Q3’23 - energy sector did well, and a few big tech names showed continued strength, but there was a lot of weakness to go around generally.

3 Likes

2023 Q4, total returns. Everyone’s a winner!

Crypto bulls took the prize this quarter with massive gains, but bonds and stocks both did well as higher interest rate fears faded with improving inflation numbers and the Fed’s optimistic comments.

ticker type Q4’23
BTC bitcoin +57%
QQQ tech +15%
IWM small caps +14%
GLD gold +12%
SPY large caps +12%
EFA foreign (developed) +11%
EEM foreign (emerging) +8%
JNK junk bonds +7%
BND bonds +7%
PFF preferreds +6%
USD cash +1%
CPI inflation (est) -0%

Q4 went reasonably well for me, although not without some fireworks (the bad kind) on the short side.

handy link for these
inflation link
crypto link

S&P500 stocks for Q4 showing lots of green.

Here are the 2023 yearly numbers:

ticker type 2023
BTC bitcoin +155%
QQQ tech +55%
SPY large caps +26%
EFA foreign (developed) +18%
IWM small caps +17%
GLD gold +13%
JNK junk bonds +12%
PFF preferreds +9%
EEM foreign (emerging) +9%
BND bonds +6%
USD cash +5%
CPI inflation (est) +4%

S&P500 stocks YTD - tech, financials, and related sectors did quite well, while energy, healthcare, and consumer sectors were mixed or weaker.

You’d think 2023 was some big win for all investors, but consider it in the context of 2022. Looking at a chart of these major indexes over the last 2 years, many were down around -10% net (EEM, IWM, BND, PFF), and another group were flat or only up a few % overall (SPY, QQQ, JNK, EFA).

Remember if SPY was -18% and then gains +26% that’s only +3% overall due to compounding the second year gains off a lower base value. QQQ and BTC had big losses last year, so their dramatic gains this year resulted in roughly just a recovery for longer term investors. Interestingly, gold was the best by far over the last 2 years, up 13% overall.

1 Like

These short-term results are interesting but, as always, it’s good to keep a longer-term perspective. Of particular interest to me is AMZN. I hold it along with BRK.b in my California HSA, since they do not pay dividends. I had the bad timing to fund my position in AMZN in 2022. I promptly had my head handed to me as the stock lost about 50%. My good old steady Berkshire Hathaway stock kept gaining throughout the period from 2022 to now. AMZN recovered some of the loss as the graphic illustrates but it’s still about 20% down.

1 Like

Isnt a HSA where you want income like dividends, since it’s tax sheltered?

California and New Jersey do not recognize HSA’s as tax deferred accounts. They treat them as taxable accounts. The HSA trustee does not report income on them, since they are not federally taxable. This makes doing income tax returns a royal PITA. My approach to simplify this is to minimize the state taxable income. TurboTax is getting a little better at supporting this, but it’s still tricky.

2024 Q1, total returns. Stocks up, crypto way up, fixed income languishes… Risk on, baby!

Another quarter of huge crypto gains, up over +50% for bitcoin, with gold performing among the top of the traditional asset classes as well with a respectable if more staid +8%. With our budget deficits expanding into the trillions and our debt rapidly increasing, it’s tempting to attribute the gains in these inflation hedges to fears about the US dollar and our leaders’ unsustainable fiscal path.

ticker type Q1’24
BTC bitcoin +58%
SPY large caps +10%
QQQ tech +9%
GLD gold +8%
EFA foreign (developed) +6%
IWM small caps +5%
PFF preferreds +4%
CPI inflation (est) +2%
EEM foreign (emerging) +2%
JNK junk bonds +2%
USD cash +1%
BND bonds -1%

I’m not done counting everything, but it looks like Q1 was pretty friendly to my trading as well.

handy link for these
inflation link
crypto link

S&P500 stocks for Q1 showing lots of green.

(FINVIZ.com - S&P 500 Map)

2 Likes