Investment impact of Russia Ukraine crisis

Credit where credit is due.

5 Likes

perfect timing, should have done it last year…

I’m short some RSX and related ETFs. The war and the prices of these Russia stocks are both looking bad in the near term. Moscow exchange was supposed to open to today, but didn’t. Ruble keeps falling.

1 Like

Are they looking for not realizing losses? If we don’t open, it’s not officially in free fall LOL.

3 Likes

Russian stocks removed from indexes. The actual funds can’t sell anyway, since the exchange is still closed and foreigners are banned from selling, so it’s more symbolic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-02/msci-pulls-russian-equities-out-of-its-key-emerging-market-index?sref=cMGpC1of

1 Like

I’ve probably less than $100. Got to go check the foreign cash envelope.

YNDX still halted, but it looks like that extended halt may cause them serious debt problems, possibly bankrupting them. I’m not super optimistic about my halted long position.

So much for de-escalation

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/1499574209567199235?s=21

Dude better make sure he doesn’t end up with some polonium in his tea talking like that.

2 Likes

It’s certainly less than that now. :slight_smile:

Yes, our senior senator is a front-running $&^@%. I haven’t like him since his first big media push … for amnesty of illegals.

Once I move here, he sent a letter asking for donations. I sent a not-totally-scathing response indicating the only circumstances that I would give him water …

To his credit, he responded personally (not script typeface). Although not the easiest to read, he accepted my criticism without defense, and hoped to we agreed on other subjects. I was shocked … not enought to give him money, but enough to listen to him, briefly.

1 Like

That’s actually the correct approach. The only way this can be stopped is from within. There’s not gonna be any de-escalation, because Voldimort probably plans to take the entire country no matter the cost. He’s been preparing for this.

3 Likes

He’s not totally off-base though. This is a one-man war. If some feel that Russia would be better off without him, he may have an unfortunate accident.

What Graham is doing is signaling that relationship with Russia could improve quickly if Putin is removed permanently and a change in regime direction occurs so that the incentive to replace him is there.

4 Likes

ETFs not tracking very well, all but RSX were suspended today.

1 Like

The same could be said of stopping whatever side of our politics needs stopping by getting rid of those leaders you don’t like. I saw some lefties posing with Trump’s mock decapitated head a few years back. Do we really want to be encouraging assassination rather than diplomacy? Do we really even care about Ukraine?

I think this was a much more tactful approach along the same lines…

Moscow man buys newspaper, glances at front page, throws it straight out. Next day: same again. And again. Eventually, seller snaps. “Why DO you do that?” “Oh, I’m just checking for an obituary” “But obituaries aren’t even on the front page!” “Oh, the one I’m looking for will be”

1 Like

It’s Graham saying the quiet part out loud. Do we want our elected officials publicly encouraging it? No. Would it be great for Russia, Ukraine, and the rest of the world if it happened? If whoever takes over isn’t as bad as Putin, yes.

3 Likes

• S&P TO REMOVE ALL STOCKS LISTED AND/OR DOMICILED IN RUSSIA
  • S&P DOW JONES TO REMOVE RUSSIA STOCKS PRIOR TO MARCH 9 OPEN
  • LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE SUSPENDS SOME ETFS WITH RUSSIAN EXPOSURE

RSX last ETF still trading in the US.

1 Like

Good interview clip.

https://twitter.com/multibags2/status/1498608626986012674?s=21

We didn’t care enough in 2014 when Russia took Crimea and created two additional separatist regions within Ukraine. This told Putin everything he needed to know and continue with his plans. When should we start caring? Moldova (or at the very least, the Russia-contolled separatist region of Transnistria) is likely next. They already mentioned that they want to become part of Russia, even though internationally they’re recognized as being part of Moldova. Then it’s onto Finland if Finland decides to join NATO (or even if it doesn’t). There’s also Georgia (the country) that also has Russian-occupied territories of Abkhazia and South Ossetia). The Empire will continue expanding.

1 Like

RSX was halted and presumably won’t trade again until we stop hating Russia, meanwhile investors in Russian ETFs are held hostage.

Worse off are the RSX options holders, who will have to make exercise instructions (or instruct their brokers not to exercise) without knowing the trading price. This may result in them ending up short (in the case of puts) and being unable to close the position and pay 20% interest indefinitely.

1 Like