Living frugally without hardship: let's share actionable suggestions

Given the same figures, and if you were still single, would you even think twice about taking that offer today?

1 Like

I still drive a crappy old car, and the nicest thing I own is my wife’s engagement ring lol. So if I was still single without a kid (which means the nicest thing in my apartment would probably be my laptop), I would take that offer in the blink of an eye!

1 Like

More power to you!

Haha. I could probably live there indefinitely (without a family) and instead of having a nice house to come home to after work, I’d buy a condo in the Riviera Maya or some other vacation spot, AirBNB it while working, and spend whatever I save on my cheap rent taking lots of vacations - I got lots of time off back when I was a cop.

Oops! Forgot that you weren’t a cop any longer. That sort of blew out the point of my question. :confused:

Want cheap without hardship? Learn to do things yourself.

1. Repair your appliances.
  2. Fix your own cars.
  3. Maintain your house.
  4. Cook your own meals.
  5. Mow your yard.
  6. Manage your own investments.
  7. Do your own taxes
  8. Plan your own wedding.
    9…

The tools, tutorials, books, and videos are widely available. The cost is a fraction if you do it yourself.

12 Likes

I tried billfixers for the first time, because I was getting annoyed wasting time with Comcast every year. Normally I can fight and get about $20 off per month for a year. This time, I just uploaded the bill, and they got $36 off per month, and keep half. Basically, I outsourced my painful complaining for a cost of $24/year.

2 Likes

While I am not trying to degrade you, do you really feel that $14/year is worth all of that time and effort? How much time, really, did it take between calls and online research?

How much time and effort do you think you saved?

I would put it at about an hour per year, which includes the need to call back if things aren’t working on the first call. Not huge, but it is a really annoying hour.

2 Likes

But the premise was that my monthly rate went up $15 since I went off contract. So I did spend about 30 minutes in total but saved $17 a month on a 2 year contract which is $408 and well worth my 30 minutes of time.

The reason I posted was because I was surprised was that the first rep and the 2nd rep found different rates for me for the same exact service. I was not aware that FiOS did that, I guessed everyone saw the same rates in the system but the second guy was almost $10 less per month than the initial guy. I would have just taken the first guys offer if I had not seen what I thought was a better rate online (which turned out to not be true).

3 Likes

We’re a family of DIYers where DH leads the way. We save thousands each year by doing a lot of home repairs/landscaping/doing our own taxes/change oil on all vehicles/etc.

We also save a lot on heating our home by splitting logs using our log splitter around this time of the year when it’s cool and stack them in our shed. We just do this once every two or three years depending on our wood consumption each winter. Our wood is free from a tree company that dumps them in our land (saves them fees to dump elsewhere) and all our excess someone buys them to re-sell by ricks and make some profits. Everyone wins!

4 Likes

On top of many of the techniques already described, I am saving thousands through super simple things like:

1.) Purchasing vacations at charity fundraisers. Often, trips go for 60-70% less than I would pay through careful shopping. For an upcoming Disney trip–staying on Disney property–I have purchased airfare, 1-bedroom villa, tickets and extras at several charity auctions. My favorite charities made out and so did I. We take at least one trip per year that we get at steep discount from a charity auction.

2.) I also purchase gift cards and products at big discounts from the auctions at local charity events. Sometimes, I don’t even purchase an event ticket. Many charity events now have their auctions online so I bid from home and pickup items later.

3.) I’m still doing SYW games for free points. With a K-Mart nearby, I get $10-$14 per week for playing the games in my free time. I pay no out of pocket and purchase whatever makes sense each week or two using my free and surprise points.

4.) I grocery shop with a list prepared through the Coupon Mom site. The site combines store sales ads with coupons and cashback sites to rank products by money-makers through percentage saved. It matches coupons from circulars and online printables and makes putting together my list and coupons easy.

5.) I am making ~$120-150 per quarter cashback by using iBotta (with one teammate), Savings Star, Checkout 51 and Ebates.

6.) I do surveys for points that I redeem for giftcards. So far this year, I have redeemed points from surveys for $250 in gift cards and 1000 airline points that I needed to get to a free airline ticket to Europe.

9 Likes

What survey site(s) are you using?

1 Like

E-Rewards. I don’t find I have time for more than one.

Thanks - haven’t checked that one out yet - will now.

Nice suggestions!

On the SYW games specifically, are there particular ones that offer the best return for the time invested? My father shops Kmart every week, and I’d gladly plump up the balance for him if doing so were sufficiently quick and painless. TIA

2 Likes

By far, the bonus games make it worth it. Wild Win Wednesday is my best day of the week for winning. I have downloaded the app onto my iPhone and enabled push notifications. I get a notification when a bonus game is live and try to do as many as possible. In the XTRA games, anything with “points” in the title is usually a better bet so I play those first.

3 Likes

Good info, TY! Now we’ll see how much longer Sears/KM is around–I’m wondering if this is their last quarter…

$0 for prepaid VZW ?