This topic is a reboot of a favorite topic of mine back from FWF’s “glory days”, originally launched in 2003.
Let’s detail specific strategies for living frugally while still living well. This means (roughly), not feeling like you have to make a noticeable sacrifice for small savings, or a significant sacrifice for a large savings.
Please add your own suggestions, or offer constructive comments on other’s suggestions. Please do NOT post ways to take advantage of generous friends, unknowing neighbors, or lenient/dim merchants. This includes items like pirating signals, bandwidth, etc., along with returning items that a person has used in order to gain free “rent” of them.
Also, please keep the focus on the ways to be frugal without giving up stuff that makes life worth living. So, a post about “not eating out,” while frugal, would be off-topic, UNLESS you have an argument for why there are good substitutes that bring similar satisfaction for less money.
Thanks for your patience with these “ground rules!”
Uncategorized / multiple-categories:
- Cook it yourself (Shandril)
- InstantPot! (jason745, BarnyardRomeo)
- Buy in bulk or on sale
- Don’t consume drinks with lots of added sugar (TripleB)
- Sodastream for cheap sparkling water (TravelerMSY), but watch your teeth (Shandril)
- Get rid of unused items, downsize
- Don’t fill your home with books – use the library to loan physical or e-books (UncaMikey), or download (gwraigty)
- Buy blank t-shirts for ~$5 (blok)
- Join a clothing swap group (Stubtify)
- Line-dry clothes - save on gas/electricity, the cost of a dryer, clothes last longer. (BarnyardRomeo)
- Get your work suits in Southeast Asia (nasheedb). Don’t go to Beijing (cashmeeousside)
- We all have to pay these bills, and they add up to thousands a year. The low-hanging fruit is to call in regularly and ask for retention offers or any other promos that are running. If you haven’t done this in 12-18 months, you need to call ASAP.
- Consider prepaid phone plans and family plans to save lots of money.
- Get rid of the landline and consider using Obihai, Google Voice, Ooma.
- Ask to be kept on promo rates for internet service (Shandril)
- Cut the cable cord and consider Netflix, Amazon FireStick + Prime, Hulu, Chromecast, Roku. Else TiVo or HTPC with media center or Plex (fragiledelaer), or OTA (PurseStrings)
- Stay at least one generation behind (jcohen73)
- Comparison-shop annually.
- Review your insurance limits and coverage to avoid gaps, overlaps, or unnecessarily high limits (topnotcher).
Home improvement & repair:
- When something breaks or needs a seemingly minor repair, I search online and look at YouTube. (BostonOne)
- Buy used, quality furniture on Craigslist.