Minimum balance to keep in a bank account to keep the bank happy?

I’ve only been using their bill pay for a couple of years. I always get a notice that there isn’t enough in my checking account to cover schedule payments, but that warning was all I received, and didn’t mind it.

I also do twice a month. First is automated – scheduled monthly Savings to Checking transfer and mortgage payments, because the amounts due are fixed. Second is manual for everything else.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I must’ve blocked it out (selective vision?). Now that warning is an error that can’t be ignored :frowning:

2 Likes

I only use Discover sporatically, so I must’ve missed the donut hole where it was not required.

And, for prosperity, Discover’s semi-canned, but “on topic” response to my follow-up complaint.

Dear Good Lookin’ Goose,

Thank you for your message.

I regret any inconvenience you may have experienced with the Bill Pay changes. We appreciate that you took the time to bring this matter to our attention, as this will provide us the opportunity to better serve all of our customers. I have passed along your negative interaction to our management team so that we can review our processes.

We look forward to helping you in the future.

If you have questions, click on the Help section of the Account Center online or on the More option in the Discover Mobile App to review our FAQs. You also can reply to this message or call us at 1-800-347-7000 (TDD 1-800-347-7454). Our 100% U.S.-based customer service team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,
Designated CS-name-of-the-day.

FYI, the comment to which their reply applies was something to the effect of "I am not a 2 year old, can add, subtract, read a calendar, and don’t need training wheels … just in case Discover Bank management is interested in the opinions of a client that regularly uses your bill pay service for 12k+ per month. In the meantime, I’ll see if the cumbersome work-around leads me to look for less nanny-ish alternatives.

ETA: Of all the financial services firms/institutions that I deal with, I would expect Discover to be the most likely to pay to attention to customer comments. If you deal with them, and dislike their downgraded bill pay service, please let them know, as I and @scripta have.

1 Like

Executives can read this as you costing them a lot of money, since bill pay is free for you, but not for the bank :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you keep $0.00, they could just close your account.

That usually takes a few months (6 to 12 in my experience). Since I have activity every month, it does not worry me. And the good ones usually send a warning first.

1 Like

Or that they are making a lot of money off of me (free or minimal cost to use my money), but want to make more.

[ I know this isn’t the bash Discover thread, but don’t want to open a new topic for a minimal set of eyes. I don’t think a ton of people here use Discover checking. ]

Discover continues to “enhance” the Discover Experience. Here’s a line from a recent Discover experience enhancement letter relating to changes to the deposit account agreement:

Section 26: Amendments, Account Changes and Notices
- The following line will be updated from “We may amend this Agreement at any time. We will send you a notification 30 days prior to the effective date of any amendment that is adverse to you” to “We may change the terms of this agreement at any time. Unless the law requires us to send you a specific notice, we will decide what kind of notice we will give you, the timing of the the notice, and the method of providing the notice.”

Thanks, Discover. I suspect you’ll decide:
kind of notice - website update, somewhere after page 30 of the fine print
timing of notice - whenever we get around to it
method of providing notice - ESP or carrier pigeon, whichever is cheaper.

I don’t see a big issue here, but it’s a good thing that some people are quick to notice negative changes and share the bad news (and their outrage) on the internet! You’ll find out even if your ESP receiver is broken, sometimes even before the notice is sent.

1 Like

My take is that they must’ve been dealing with someone’s lawsuit/arbitration over some trivial detail being changed where technically no notice was given. And thus this change is to dispense of the nuisances, not intentionally position themselves to better screw regular users.

I collect my $30 cashback every month…

1 Like

Amex bank account? Amex CC statements include the full text of any changes.

@slappycakes’ complaint is that every Amex cc statement includes the line that he quoted. The vast majority of those important notices are just blurbs about EFT error resolution, with no changes.

1 Like

How did you know I filed an arbitration complaint about their new bill payment nannyness? :laughing:

Oh that. Those are just notices, they are not changes in terms. All changes in terms are spelled out in full.

Srsly? I would think something like that requires damages. How were you damaged by their changes? Other than being treated like a child…

Right, the point is that the first page of the statement says there are “important notices”. Forcing you to look to see if it is a notice about a change in terms or other important new info, when it’s just the same old boilerplate Error Resolution notice. Stop checking page 7 since it’s always the same thing, and that’s when they’ll slip in a terms change.

Srsly? I would think something like that requires damages. How were you damaged by their changes? Other than being treated like a child…

I think you need to get some sleep, to reset your humor settings…

1 Like

Yeah, so I just have to remember that for Amex they’re not actually important. My ISP though, those fckers slip fee changes into the notices section of the bill…

LOL. So he didn’t file an arbitration complaint? I saw the :laughing: but I didn’t detect any sarcasm :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Are you kidding? My self-esteem has been damaged beyond repair. Additionally, their insult of my education insulted my teachers, or since they’re all deceased, their offspring. They also insulted my parents. Lemme see, to add gravitas, I’ll kick 10% back to the big guy, or his reprobate offspring (inherited honestly).

I hadn’t really thought about it, but the additional time required to move money between accounts, and the additional inherent risk of error due to those moves, should be worth something. :wink:

I like my sarcasm like my martinis. :innocent:

1 Like

It should be. Unfortunately you never get compensated for your time or potential risk, only for actual damages.

You got my hopes up, I started thinking about a class action, since I retained my rights by opting out of arbitration :slight_smile:

1 Like