Minimum balance to keep in a bank account to keep the bank happy?

Again, that’s the point. You “remember” this, and that’s when they slip something in like your ISP…

2 Likes

You stand to potentially gain way way more through an arbitration claim than a class action.

The gain may be more, but the potential is less, and it probably requires more work, and I’m lazy :slight_smile:

1 Like

You seriously think an arbitration claim requires more work than a class action lawsuit?!?!? I’m thinkin’ you might still need to get some sleep :wink: .

I suspect he was talking about work on “his” part. When Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe is taking 40% (compared to a more reasonable big guy percentage :slight_smile: ) plus throwing in extra fees for everything imaginable, they better not make me get off my backside for anything except to cash the check.

1 Like

But that can be true for an arbitration as well. Although you’d only get Cheatem or Howe 'cause it’s a one-man job, but has low 4-figure potential after fees, compared to a typical class action’s low 2-figure payout…

1 Like

I’ve never gone through arbitration. How much time could it take for that low 4-figure potential?

By the way, it is my understanding that opting out of binding mandatory arbitration doesn’t mean that I can’t still use arbitration. It just means that I retain my right to use the courts.

3 Likes

What fees are there in arbitration? I thought all of the fees were covered by the winner bank supplier. That is one of the oppositions to arbitration - the arbitration service is dependent on the banks to continue using them. If they rule too frequently against the banks, then they’ll be out of business.

2 Likes

It depends on the entity used, and your specific account terms. But often yes, the bank pays the arbitration fees. That alone costs the bank 4-figures, far more than their potential liability in most cases, which is pretty heavy incentive to settle before even getting to the point of anything being arbitrated.

If you use a lawyer, it’ll cost you either per-hour or 40-50%. That was the “after fees” part I was referring to.

1 Like