Monkey pox discussion

There are people of color who don’t identify as gay, yet are MSM, and are hesitant to seek sexual healthcare due to being downlow. Shouldn’t they have some sort of outreach?

1 Like

Presuming MSM means males having sex with males Isn’t that the definition of male homosexual? Regardless …

They should be taught that hiding is unnecessary and unacceptable. The people they are hiding from should be beaten, or at least excoriated and cancelled. :slight_smile:

I thought the whole purpose of homosexual pride days, weekends, weeks, months, events, etc. was to prove/celebrate how accepting everyone is of alternative lifestyles of minorities. Other than an 80+ year old relative, who you may want to avoid an uncomfortable converstation with, who is there to hide from?

One would think, but there are still a lot of black/latino gay and bi men who aren’t out :frowning:

1 Like

I understand, and hope that any outreach is focused on getting them out of the closet.

Looking like bad news for containment. I was hearing about sexuality active heterosexual teens getting the pox, and this is borne out in the most recent CDC surveys of those infected - see gray and orange bars below.

Where roughly 25% of recent cases were in self identified “straight men with no recent gay sex” and 5% were in women, while roughly 2/3 were in the gay male sex community.

Cases continue to rise broadly and no clear signs of a declining rate of new cases, and with about 20k cases in the US.

1 Like

I thought I read cases were down

2 Likes

They aren’t testing most non gay guys, but if you’re finding 30% of cases outside that group, surely you’re missing a lot. Test positivity is also pretty high, indicating not enough testing. It does kinda look like things are slowing down. I guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

The govt is starting a trial on the TPOXX monkey pox vaccine, the one they’ve been giving out for a month or so now.

I’m so old remember when we tested vaccines in trials before we gave them out to the public

2 Likes

Testing one of the pox vaccines.

primary MVA-BN immunization series in non-primed individuals yields relatively low levels of MPXV neutralizing antibodies. As the role of MPXV neutralizing antibodies for protection against disease and transmissibility is currently unclear and no correlate of protection against MPXV infection has been identified yet, this raises the question how well vaccinated individuals are protected.

So it gives some very modest level of antibodies against the pox to people who haven’t been exposed, and they have no idea if that’s enough to keep you from getting sick or what.

1 Like
2 Likes

I wonder if this is like the Covid cases - yes, he was shot in the head, but he had Covid, so it’s a Covid related death – give us our money.

Two more sick and immunocompromised people in NYC die from the pox, bringing the US total to 3–4 (one with it, but unclear if they died from their other problems instead).

1 Like

Alteast all the doomsday talk of it jumping to “regular” folks or getting out of control isn’t happening… yet…

Every gay man I know that wants it has gotten it by now. I imagine that goes a long way towards keeping Mp at bay.

4 Likes

Well monkey pox may have been solved by the WHO’s anti-racist rebranding, you might wonder if we have to still worry about the new “mpox” replacement. Apparently the answer is no.

US case rates are down to around 1 case per day.

2 Likes

And exactly how was monkey pox racist. Also, exactly to whom was it racist? Do the monkey’s now have their own lobby, or maybe the poxes? If the latter, to what names have chickenpox and smallpox been renamed?