New Members Introduce Yourselves!

Another FW transplant here… was a moderately active in the early 2000’s, then went dark for over a decade. I went back recently to check on things and learned the site was shutting down with a lot of FWF’ers migrating to this site. Lots of familiar names here! Personal finance is of keen interest to me as I make plans to hang up my working hat, hopefully in a couple of years. Looking forward to learning from the community here and hopefully pass along a nugget or two.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
I was known as wiseguy1100 on FW. I own a travel agency for over 15 years and have booked many of the members (and even some of the FW mods) on their trips. I authored the original FW Travel FAQ way back in the day.
Looking forward to contributing and learning from everyone on here!
FW Member Stats
Ave. Posts/Day: 0.42
Lifetime Posts: 2177
Stinkin badges 43
Lifetime Cash Back $109.75
Known For: Authoring Travel FAQ and being a travel guru

6 Likes

Hello all,

I am a refugee from FWF. same user name. hope to continue the FWF tradition in this site.

:slight_smile:

07pilot4me

Member Stats

Ave. Posts/Day: 0.31
Lifetime Posts: 1,154

2 Likes

Hi, from FW as daytrader. I work in finance but mostly came to FW for travel, hot deals, free stuff, and finance

3 Likes

Welcome - always good to have some other traders around. Does your job still let you trade?

2 Likes

Ok, y’all can relax, I’m here! Been a busy few weeks (School, people dying, acquaintances going to prison, etc.)… but found you and joined!

My story comes later…

My Stats at FW:
Lifetime Cash Back $277.83 (didn’t use as much as I should have in the beginning).
Nickname: Technologist
City: Oderint dum metuant
State/Province: Other
Message Posts: 6669
Date Joined: Wednesday, April 10th 2002 10:28 AM
Average Posts Per Day: 1.18
Technologist is currently on the leaderboard!

and of course the MODified title that will be on my FW Profile as it melts away into the ether upon shutdown: President, MVP Fanclub

Claim to fame - WDNNSB was my badge (I asked for it to be created). Can I request the same here, and continue thinking it is some sort of lifetime achievement???

6 Likes

Original FW member here lurking in '99 and joined in 2000.

2 Likes

This was me. I made thousands of dollars thanks to FW, learned a lot from SIS and DH, and delighted at tales of cat pee dissolving houses. Looking forward to another 15 years.

1 Like

Hello, my name is, oddly enough, Brian. I have been on FW under another identity for many years.

I’ve saved, and I’m not exaggerating here, many tens of thousands of dollars on mortgage refinances and home-equity loans using the ideas and originators in the finance forum, for which I am profoundly grateful, and never had an opportunity to say thanks to those who brought about this conversation. I first learned about Pentagon Federal at FW over a decade ago, and it’s positive impact on my finances has been profound since then.

I also saved a lot of money while spending a lot of money on hot deals, and I had a lot of fun along the way, and hope to continue that here.

I was always more of a reader than a talker over there, but I will try to be a good contributor here. Thanks for taking the time and effort to build this new community.

2 Likes

Hi I’m junkmail. I’m Dutch. I pinch pennies. FW saved me several thousand dollars over the years, so I don’t want to miss out on any new deals

2 Likes

Hi all, long time FW and Anandtech user, migrated over here not that FW is closing down.

2 Likes

mom2jel here - FW member since 2002, lurker since 2000.
Mostly Off Topic & Freebies. In the early days the Hot Deals were good, but then it just became so cluttered with people trying too hard that I stopped looking very often.

2 Likes

I should update my name to Warren Buffet Fan Club. My company took the fun out of day trading. I just buy and hold. Day trading takes time and requires me to keep an eye on the market. I put in a trade in the morning, then look at the clock and the market is closed. I have so many tasks to do each day.

3 Likes

Hola, TeamMJS here.

Historically, most active in FlyerTalk’s credit card section and FatWallet Finance.

Been an avid arbitrage (free money and literal spreads) side hustler since before 2000 when I got an AOL credit card that gave me half a year of monthly service for doing a free BT each month.

Since then graduated to AORs aimed at the 0%/$0 fee BT offers (where I’d park in shady but government guaranteed banks paying 5-6% like IndyMac) and later driving a Mac truck through every opportunity to get free miles and hotel points from credit cards.

If there’s a novel but repetitive system that allows for a decent $/hour return, I’ll be there. Also, for any one-off easy bank bonuses, or best safe ways to park my rainy day funds (God Bless the 5% 10 year PenFed CDs I snagged when they were open many years ago).

Live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and before I die hope to know if the legends of Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, and SIS are real creatures, or simply great mythical figures!

2 Likes

Hi Guyz,

Another FW refugee here. I’m blueribb (Blue Ribbon TV > Blue Ribbon Computers). My name is Glenn and I’m 66 years old. I recently retired and I’m loving every minute of it. I enjoy getting Hot Deals and got quite a few on FW. I’m an avid Audiophile and enjoy Sci-Fi and Computers. I admit to using Slickdeals but always preferred FW. I had a hard time joining this forum because the activation email never came. I finally emailed the admin and got the activation email today. I wonder if others are having the same issue. My avatar is a FatBonus gambling chip from 2000.

2 Likes

Hi Dave, good seeing you again!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Griz, I was a lurker at FWF for a while never created an account, but I figured with the move, it might be time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone! My name is Mike, username snowbelt as it was on FatWallet. I started the membership at FatWallet in October, 2000 (almost a charter member :). I am glad to be here…

2 Likes

prastogi here- joined FW in 2003 and here now to continue the fun and deals…

thanks all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone.
I was an active member at SD since 2005 till few years ago.

Hope to enjoy my stay here :slight_smile:

2 Likes