Pay Federal tax with a debit card

It’s a payment to the IRS. The deadline for this payment is 15 April . . . tomorrow.

I have made many payments this way to the IRS across all three services. Without exception I always see two pending charges to my card immediately, one for the service fee and the other being the amount going to the IRS . . . but not this time.

I hope it is just that PenFed is FUBAR. That would be good. I hope it is not that they are considering denial of my charge. This payment to the IRS must be made timely. I do not have room to tolerate any foolishness from PenFed. And when I inquired I was unable to obtain a straight answer. That did not, and does not, inspire confidence.

I have credit out the wazoo. Choosing PenFed for this critical IRS charge was a mistake I will not repeat.

You gotta be careful with what you click on. I believe the transcripts for 2020 and 2021 are separate and different. If you’re waiting for something from 2020, the “TAX PERIOD” should say “Dec 31, 2020”.

Point being that the payment to the IRS is a separate transaction from the charge being made to the credit card. Myself, I couldnt care less if the third-party company I use debits my payment method or not, I only care that they send funds to the payee. A pending charge on my credit card is in indication of the former, not the latter.

Yes, I’m currently sitting on just such a payment from nearly 5 years ago, where the payment was made but my card was never charged.

Of course. I’m with you on that. And if they pay the charge and don’t charge me it is fine. However, that leaves me without proof of payment and without a way to know, in advance, that they for some reason are going to reject the payment. Cause if they let me know, say, next week that they are not going to pay the charge, it will be too late for me to make timely payment via another means.

The charge is still not showing up this morning after they told me to wait overnight to see it after their overnight processing cycle. They are one messed up operation!

1 Like

You do have your receipt with the transaction information, that’s your proof of payment. No different than mailing a check, and keeping the post office receipt as proof should the check never be cashed.

2 Likes

sort of off topic but perhaps someone knows. Pay1040.com says that if I make a payment with extension to file on their website I do not need to file a form 4868 with the IRS. I believe I read that this will also eliminate the need to file an extension to file form for state income tax.

is this correct in your experience?

Please provide a link to some reference thar says this is the case?

Edit. I answered my own question. Here it is for Arizona

Individuals filing under a federal extension, or making an Arizona extension payment electronically, do not need to file Arizona Form 204. Electronic payments can be made using AZTaxes.gov(link is external) under the “Make a Payment” (link is external)link.

https://azdor.gov/individual-income-tax-filing-assistance/making-payments-late-payments-and-filing-extensions

1 Like

Good point, glitch99. Thanks.

Course if the transaction is later rescinded I’m not certain how much good that would do me with the IRS.

I’m pretty much planing “wait and see” at this point. Hope charge will settle by Saturday at which point I should be able to see it. PenFed is FUBAR. I didn’t know.

If they didn’t get the money, you’ll have to pay them again, obviously. But the proof of payment will (ok, “should”) waive late fees.

2 Likes

It’s actually Monday the 18th, right?

3 Likes

I think you’re right. Heard that today somewhere. Not sure why. Easter?

I am guessing it is because tomorrow is a Federal bank holiday but I dunno for sure.

No, you still do a state extension and/or payment as well.

Good Friday, dude. Get your Catholicism hat squared away. :cowboy_hat_face:

BUT A BIG BUTT to the above (and not a Kardashian) - FBARs are still due on the April 15 (today).

1 Like

Gosh. I don’t think anyone else ever mentioned FBARs on this forum. Anyway, for me no sweat. Everything I do is 100%, true blue, American!

No exceptions. :grinning:

Are you saying that I’m true blue Commie? Just kidding.

Although the macadamia and banana farms lost their write-off status in the 80’s, they are still legitimate businesses, with legitimate losses. Sadly, you’ve got to deal with FBARs.

It’s only Friday. The charge for my taxes settled. And now I can see it.

Why PenFed refused to allow me to see the charge when it was only in pending status, as they do with every other charge, I dunno. Even my side hustle charges become immediately visible to me while pending. So why PenFed made an exception in this instance remains, for me, an annoying mystery. But all is well which ends well. So I move on.

1 Like

I 'll go 1st. My parents might have paper stock in my name since I was a minor. My dad won’t confirm or deny it. Is that FBAR reqd?

+1 Same for IRA contributions right?

I filed an extension but looks like I might have to do a backdoor Roth this year. Not sure if doing it one year is worth the paperwork hassle (income varies) Do I have to track traditional IRA basis forever if I do?

see the excerpt I quoted from the Arizona income tax website.

Individuals filing under a federal extension , or making an Arizona extension payment electronically, do not need to file Arizona Form 204.

The way I read this, see the ‘or’, an electronic federal extension is also accepted by the state without filing their extension form.

I’m assuming that there is no balance due on your state return. of course, if there is one due, you need to make a payment at the state website, if it’s offered. or else mail in the stateform with a check.

1 Like

One year AZ DOR failed to get IRS extension and charged me penalties. One EZ call fixed it though (unlike the IRS AZ DOR answers the phone!)

2 Likes