Pay Federal tax with a debit card

Ok, I guess it’s state specific. I do extensions for both where I am.

2 Likes

Yes. I was looking up Arizona for a family member. Here’s what my state of California says

No application is required for an extension to file.

Personal
We give you an automatic 6-month extension to file your return. You must file by the deadline to avoid a late filing penalty.

2 Likes

Interesting wrinkle:

No question deadline for Federal is Monday. But state deadlines can be less accommodating depending on whether or not Good Friday is a legal holiday in your state. For me:

Good Friday is not a legal holiday here where I live. My (state) deadline held at the 15th, I needed to pay up yesterday, and that is what I did.

2 Likes

If it’s “paper stock certs” and not in a foreign bank/brokerage, I suspect you’re okay, but you’d better start now to figure out the acb. Also, if they’re under a certain amount … I think 50k, you don’t need the fbar, but please confirm any and all of this info. I don’t recall exact numbers, but just know that I have to file one every frigging year.

Since @shinobi doesn’t have to file one, this won’t but a bee in his bonnet - you can only file electronically. They will not accept a paper form, even if delivered in person.

1 Like

I believe the FBAR amount is 10k? The problem/question is if we demat it to electronic (which is now required in India to sell)

I guess I could endorse them over to my dad (who does file FBAR every year and yes it’s is PIA to do 2 returns+FBAR. The good news is we’ve made him a TX resident with my sister so no TX return. (jealous of all you no state tax return folks!)

1 Like

Welcome to The Great R̶e̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶ State of Texas. Enjoy the state of mind. :smile:

I checked, and you are right about the amount being 10k. They may have dropped it, or I may have forgotten, which I’ve been known to do. :frowning:

As for the lack of state income tax, congrats - Just be ready for the property tax bill. :slightly_smiling_face:

anyone tried to pay with joint filer’s SSN? any issues?

Post was deleted by the author.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! I wonder which year was that. I just sent $5 test payment for spouse B. Let’s see if IRS’ system has improved?

The 1040-ES payment form on Pay1040.com has separate “Primary” and “Spouse” fields, and on payusatax.com has the following note, in red: “Please note : If you are making a payment for a joint account, please use the primary spouse’s information.” I’m guessing you’re trying with ACI Payments, and I can’t see their form without providing payment info first. My guess is that your $5 is gonna end up in the wrong place.

Yes I’m using ACI. It does have fields for both filers.

But the language is there for 1040 as well. So what? Which year did you pay using joint filer?

1 Like

Looks like my $5 is indeed lost. Never posted.

Have you checked your spouse’s account?

Was it debited from your source account? When you say “never posted”, I presume you’re describing the IRS (payment) account.

My spouse doesn’t have an IRS account.

It was a debit card payment.

I would think everyone has an IRS account. Create and sign in online, then check the transcript or balance.

Every taxpayer who’s filed a return or had information reported has a IRS account. We’re talking about an internal IRS account, not merely a login to their website.

If she creates an IRS.gov account and logs in, odds are you will see the payment credited to her account.

1 Like

i know. I was talking about IRS login. Believe me, it’s not that easy to create one. We only use prepaid phone and google voice.

1 Like

Post was deleted by the author.