Products with real supply chain risk?

Yes. I always consume ground coffee within 2 weeks of opening it or I start to notice off tastes and bitterness. I can definitely taste the difference. Beans last quite a bit longer, especially if you keep them in the freezer, but still fresh would taste better.

Frozen pizza

I still have a frozen pie left. Have not touched it. Dunno why. Frozen pizza is just not all that appealing. So if supply chain breaks, well, not a big deal. :wink:

Frozen french fries… I mean, freedom fries

Coffee beans in a sealed package are usually pretty good to freeze too and they can last much longer, though they may still lose some of their freshness over time.

Edit: sfchris beat me to it.

Next up: meat shortage

1 Like

Dogs

Here’s a summarized list of foods

It is pretty funny though. As a way to try to get around the supply problems (more commercial supply than demand, less retail supply than demand), the commercial food supplier for our cafeteria at work has started to weekly sell bulk food in the parking lot. However, their prices that they’re selling the bulk commercial food and requiring contact (as opposed to no-contact delivery) are at least 2-3X what having retail food delivered from Amazon or Instacart is… Not sure how it’s still making sense for them and people are still buying from there. I guess it saves some people from going to the grocery store and they are somehow not tech literate to be able to just order delivery (but it doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t be tech literate where I work).

They will also sell you stereos and faux leather jackets from the back of a van. Some restaurants sell grocery items to the public but I don’t know who’s buying them and what the prices are.

The cafeteria at my company is doing the same thing. However ours is no contact delivery and the prices are fairly reasonable and mostly in line with the grocery. The cafeterias beef is actually cheaper than the grocery but the milk is about 50% more.
They also have take and bake food dishes available.
Plus theres no delivery fee and no tip, so all in its not a bad deal.

Maybe I exaggerated or am just noticing the most expensive things, and someone else had pointed out prices were high. There are actually about half that are normal price or a little cheaper.

That does not sound like a bad deal at all. No cooking, no grocery store trip. If prices are reasonable, that’s basically take out that is warm when it gets to your table rather than luke warm.

I’d possibly partake if our cafeteria - which just re-opened - did that, especially their daily soup offerings. But sadly, I’m not scheduled to get back to the office until at least July so no ready soup for me. :frowning:

1 Like

That’s…odd.

1 Like

I guess some must believe the banking system is on the brink so they must hoard coins.

But usage should be down since I imagine many people would not want to handle change that has been touched by cashier and by other people before. Whatever, I don’t mind if people hoard coins as I have no need for them in my daily transactions. I already don’t use plastic all that often with contactless payments at virtually every store around.

1 Like

I don’t buy the claim that people are accumulating coins on their nightstands.

All I can think of is that when things closed, everyone (stores) deposited their coin reserves. Local banks shipped the inventory off to central banks, who then pulled the excess coin from circulation based on normal supply/demand metrics. Now that everyone is restocking their change drawers and spiking demand, there isn’t enough supply to meet that demand. So it’s basically a screw-up by someone, not an organic shortage. That’s my guess.

1 Like

My guess was more people are not taking change to pay for things but are still accepting it back from merchants when they pay with paper. That’s always been my SOP, but I used plastic 99% of the time before the pandemic and 100% now…

But look at the overwhelming demand for food distribution. The last 3 months have been a time people are more inclined to dip into their change drawer, not add change to it.

That’s a fair assumption but I just don’t understand the timing. At least here, most things have reopened by now, especially things where cash was used. So I’d have anticipated maybe a shortage when a lot of places were still closed, thinking that cash changing machines and change drawers held a lot of cash that was just out of circulation, but why the shortage now. Unless change was returned - but where? - and never got back in circulation. I just don’t understand where the hold up is in the system, especially in what I anticipate is a lower usage level for cash than pre-COVID-19.