Prospects for WWIII

I generally take the sensationalism and hyperbole prone British press with a grain of salt. But all out nuclear war is such a serious matter it becomes impossible to dismiss this stuff out of hand:

Is Putin really insane enough to do this?

I dunno.

While I’m not disputing whether he said that or not – coming from you, a link to a tabloid of ill-repute for editorial content is kind of amusing.

To the topic prompt – the question really is “how do you define WW3”?

1 Like

Putin Really May Break The Nuclear Taboo In Ukraine

It seems unthinkable, but American leaders’ failure to think about it heightens the risk it will happen.

This is a Peggy Noonan piece from today’s Wall Street Journal. I’m using the below version to circumvent the WSJ paywall:

Putin Really May Break The Nuclear Taboo In Ukraine

When I look at him I see a new nihilistic edge, not the calculating and somewhat reptilian person of the past.

People who have known Mr. Putin have told me I am wrong in my concern about his potential nuclear use in that he knows if he makes one move with such a weapon, Moscow will in turn be reduced to a smoking ruin. But I am reading Mr. Putin as someone who’s grown bored of that threat, who believes he can more than match it, who maybe doesn’t even believe it anymore. In any case the Americans would not respond disproportionately.

If Putin uses nukes in Ukraine, the black swan swoops in, and we’re on our way to WWIII.

2 Likes

Considering the proximity and the potential consequences, it would be extremely stupid. It also seems unnecessary at this point, since they can probably take what they want to take using conventional force.

Note: Ben Wallace is Secretary of Defence in the UK

Russian ruler Vladimir Putin could declare a new world war in the coming days, the secretary of defence for the UK fears.

Ben Wallace claimed that the president could start a ‘mass’ mobilisation of troops and use May Day to announce a war on the world’s ‘Nazis’

May day is Sunday. May eighth also falls on a Sunday, the next one after this weekend.

With both days falling on a Sunday, the May eighth holiday in Russia will be celebrated on May ninth. The May Day holiday in Russia will be celebrated on both May first and on May second.

Be on lookout for Putin announcements on any of those days.

Part of the provocation probably

Right. It has to be borne in mind that Putin views this sort of thing entirely differently than we do. No bigee for us. Death threat for his country for Putin, regardless how irrational that might be.

Thinking back it becomes clear how Trump was able to elicit quiescence from Putin for four solid years! It wasn’t Trump’s unpredictability alone, though that was important. It was also Trump’s discomfort with and criticism of NATO that eased Putin’s irrational (to us) fears.

Compare that with Biden’s “bull in a China shop”, back to all out support no matter what and no matter the cost, relationship with NATO. That approach has put the fear of God into Putin, whereas Trump’s ambiguity had worked in the favor of the USA . . . . . and the world including especially Ukraine.

Also Trump was willing to meet in person with Putin. Has Biden done that? I do not think he has since assuming office, though they have met via video conference; not the same thing.

3 Likes

Not the same thing, but probably better than that big ass table Putin has been using for all meetings.

1 Like

You mean it’s better to do a video conference with Putin than to be embarrassed seating across a 10 feet table? Putin does the long-table treatment to everybody he dislikes, including Macron and UN Secretary Guterres.

1 Like

I think he’s been using that table even with his own advisors. I suspect he fears for his own life and won’t let anyone near him (other than his personal chef and security, etc).

1 Like

Latest Russian threats

1 Like

The lawmaker claimed that two of Russia’s Sarmat ‘Satan 2’ missiles would destroy the entirety of America’s east coast - before adding it would take just “two missiles for the west coast” as well.

"Four missiles and there’ll be nothing left.

And once again, middle America gets treated like crap…

4 Likes

While I continue to believe WWIII is unlikely to happen . . . . . .

. . . . . I do wish these idiots would stop talking about it.

3 Likes

I’m sure cooler heads will prevail now…

North Korea officially took over the U.N. disarmament conference on Monday, according to NK News. The U.N. move quickly drew criticism from nongovernmental organizations that noted North Korea’s major nuclear weapons development efforts in recent months.

Most Americans alive today have no memory whatsoever of the Cuban missile crisis.

Messing around with the Russians is genuinely dangerous. They strenuously disagree with us on a LOT of stuff. And they are serious.

Many of my friends, and all of my best friends, are already dead. They missed out on the pandemic. Me still being around at least for now, I hope it does not turn out that they also will have missed out on WWIII. :pensive:

2 Likes

Are we still kicking in more than Red China? Is the UN kicking back 10% to the “big guy”? Then what the heck are we doing?

1 Like

Losing at home, better ratchet up the foreign wars abroad.

• BIDEN SAYS U.S. CHANGING FORCE POSTURE IN EUROPE BASED ON THREAT

• BIDEN SAYS U.S. WILL RAISE NUMBER OF DESTROYERS IN SPAIN FROM 4 TO 6-BIDEN

• BIDEN SAYS U.S. WILL SEND TWO ADDITIONAL F-35 SQUADRONS TO BRITAIN

• U.S. PRESIDENT BIDEN SAYS ARMY TO ESTABLISH 5TH ARMY HEADQUARTERS IN POLAND

• POLISH PRESIDENT’S AIDE KUMOCH SAYS BIDEN’S ANNOUNCEMENT ON 5TH ARMY HEADQUARTERS IS VERY CLEAR SIGN THAT U.S. INTENDS TO INCREASE PRESENCE IN POLAND

• U.S. HAS NOT COMMUNICATED WITH RUSSIA ABOUT CHANGES IN U.S. FORCES, EQUIPMENT IN EUROPE; NO REQUIREMENT TO DO SO -SENIOR U.S. OFFICIAL

• NATO STRATEGIC CONCEPT WILL MENTION FOR FIRST TIME THE ‘SYSTEMIC CHALLENGES’ POSED BY CHINA, AND ITS BURGEONING RELATIONSHIP WITH RUSSIA

• NATO LEADERS FORMALLY INVIVTE FINLAND AND SWEDEN TO JOIN

2 Likes

Biden (and Obama) appeasement successes, the Iranian edition.

U.S. ENVOY TO IRAN NUCLEAR TALKS SAYS IRAN HAS ENOUGH ENRICHED URANIUM TO MAKE A BOMB

Can we get an obligatory “Death to America! Death to Israel!”?

3 Likes

Now, hold your horses a minute. Iran still needs a couple of pallets of cash to finance construction of the rockets which can deliver nuclear warheads.

No one is shortsighted / insane enough to give them pallets of cash, so we are as safe as ever.

2 Likes

Right on! Welcome back… Nice vacation?