Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

Twitter censors are ready to prevent any midterm election views they don’t like. “Civic Integrity” sounds so much better than suspending reporters for critically covering the FBI raid on Trump’s house, and they’re just getting started!

Today, as we do ahead of other global elections, we’re activating enforcement of our Civic Integrity Policy for the 2022 US midterms.

We’re exploring other ways to help people make sense of content they encounter during these critical times… We’re also bringing back prebunks to get ahead of misleading narratives on Twitter, and to proactively address topics that may be the subject of misinformation

See we’re just making sure nobody has a “narrative” about the election we don’t like. And certainly not allow you to express the view that Biden and 2020 was an illegitimate election of an illegitimate president; but definitely it’s fine to say that about 2016 and Trump.

3 Likes

You mean this one law, right? Or, are you saying that the people who use guns in the commission of crimes are getting the properly punished?

Valid question. All of the guns are used at least once per year. Each handgun is used at least once every 6 months at the range. Most of the long guns are used twice per year, with the exception of the shotguns and one rifle. All of them are properly cleaned and oiled after each usage. That may seem excessive, but it’s because they are not frequently used. Also, I do not expect to need any of the long guns, or most of the handguns for protection. I, and some of my friends, like to responsibly shoot guns, which is why I have them.

Who said that I’ve got reasonable concerns about the security of my guns? I’ve never had a gun stolen, and I’ve owned at least one for 60+ years, including having one in the back window of my father’s pickup. I wouldn’t leave one in a vehicle today because thieves have no fear.

I do not have reasonable concerns that my guns may be stolen, because I have mitigated those reasonable concerns.

But that is not your proposed law. In fact, your proposed law doesn’t seem, IIRC, to care about securing firearms. It cares about checking that your firearms are where they’re supposed to be.

Yeah, I know. My point wasn’t the odds of that happening, because that’s not what the proposal states. It says that I must check my inventory every 90 days. It doesn’t matter about a super thief or even the existence of such a creature. It only states that I must check my inventory every 90 days, or I’m in violation of the law.

No. It requires you to report a theft within 90 days. If your guns are never stolen and subsequently used in a crime scene/ found on a criminal or prohibited possessor, you never have to inventory them. Leave them unsecure around your house and let people in and out all the time? You should probably inventory them. Leave them in a safe only you know the combination to and you lay eyes on the safe every few months? You shouldn’t have to inventory them. You have unlimited choices on how not to run afoul of the law.

3 Likes

But if I don’t see my guns for 180 days, how can I report the theft? I can’t. Thus, it requires that I inventory my guns every 90 days, or risk being in violation of the law. At least that’s how I see it.

The old gray mare still has a lot to teach the young progressive companies …

If you want to store them unsecured, or if you want to give other people access to your secure storage, yes. Or you can just secure them. Your choice.

If you want people to go to jail for putting guns in the hands of criminals and prohibited possessors, and don’t want laws restricting your ability to purchase and possess firearms, what other suggestions do you have?

Of course not. Gun-grabber proposals are meant to look ok, but they’re really about either making firearms uaffordable, or about getting a list of firearms for future seizures.

Which has been my point for many messages.

All he’s really after are straw buyers. Anything to harass legal gun owners.

I don’t think that making it a law that gun owners must report gun thefts is equivalent to harassing legal gun owners. The are already laws on the books in tons of states that actually do harass legal gun owners. It wasn’t until a couple months ago that you could even “bear” you firearms in many states.

That said, I can see why a 2nd amendment absolutist would see my proposal that way. But when you look at it like that, you are missing the forest for the trees. Considering the fact that almost half the country, when they see gun crime and mass shootings spike, actually want to criminalize your legal gun possession, it makes sense to me to relax with the absolutism and at least try to find something that just hems up the real bad guys.

@Loren based on this thread, I’m having a hard time pinpointing your beliefs. How would you describe yourself?

I think they can start to pull their pension funds from these woke investments.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-08/texas-joins-republican-ags-slamming-larry-fink-on-esg-investment

Texas AG Joins GOP Peers Slamming Larry Fink on ESG Policy

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said Monday that he joined a group of Republican state officials accusing BlackRock Inc. Chief Executive Office Larry Fink of relying on sustainable investments instead of shareholders’ profits.

2 Likes

I’m saying as far as laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Because that is the desired purpose of the new laws Democrats demand are necessary, to try to keep guns out of the hands of criminals by trying to keep them out of everyone’s hands.

I’m pretty certain that if you felt there was a 50/50 chance you guns might be stolen, you’d be making sure they hadnt been much more often. A big reason you dont check them that frequently already is because you are confident they havent disappeared. So either this law creates no problem for you, or you already have a problem with being overconfident. I know it’s not that simple, but it kinda is.

And as Meede has said, if some super burglar steals your guns leaving no trace to indicate they’ve been stolen, it’s highly unlikely those stolen guns will end up being involved in common street crime. In such an instance, you’re far more likely to never see or hear of those guns again.

You’re the one who [along with us] wants to enforce existing laws as a means of gun control. This facititates the enforcement of those existing laws.

Pretty certain straw buyers arent legal gun owners. And I’m pretty sure that outright banning guns and making tons of legal gun owners criminals overnight simply because they already own these now-banned guns is far more “harassing”. This is only being presented in response to, and as an alternative to that.

1 Like

More in that vein, collaborative censorship by FB, TWTR, etc with the government to control speech about covid, elections, and whatever else they want. Free Speech isn’t for the little people, nor for the opposition party.

private companies should be free to make their own choices about speech, publication, amplification, etc… but what breaks this and forces behavior into unified channels of suppression is state intervention to ensure that markets are not free and in a world as webbed by bureaucratic stricture as ours, this intervention need not be direct. it may easily be indirect and this starts to look like state sponsored extortion.

1 Like

yes. This cannot happen soon enough. Even traditional good investments like engineering and hard science degrees are being destroyed by leftism. this article from far left NBC news accidentally wanders into some truth.

notice the BS word salad.

“With the exception of wartime, the United States has never been through a period of declining educational attainment like this,” said Michael Hicks, director of the Center for Business and Economic Research

There has been a significant and steady drop nationwide in the proportion of high school graduates enrolling in college in the fall after they finish school — from a high of 70% in 2016 to 63% in 2020, the most recent year for which the figure is available, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

Focus groups and public opinion surveys point to other, less easily solved reasons for the sharp downward trend. These include widespread and fast-growing skepticism about the value of a degree, impatience with the time it takes to get one, and costs that have finally exceeded many people’s ability or willingness to pay.

3 Likes

There’s no mention of science, engineering, or any degrees in the article.

I don’t see any salad in the words you emphasized. “Education attainment” has always been called that, nothing new or salad-y here. The last quote literally talks about the costs, which have been rising at an out of control pace.

None of the quotes you provided show any connection to “leftism”. Did you intend to quote the following instead?

“Anti-elitism” and “being told what to do” can be a reaction to what some perceive as “leftism”, I suppose.

2 Likes

Finally a small victory for sanity.

However, on this side of the pond, it’s more “If you contradict my opinion, you’re spreading misinformation”.

The statement continued. "When gender-affirming care is necessary and appropriate

This is the inherent problem - the only “gender affirming” care is helping that young boy deal with and accepting being a boy no matter how much he wishes to be a girl. Anything resembling “transitioning” is the opposite of affirmation, it’s only concocting a false facade.

4 Likes

Huh? We can’t hire inadequately educated/trained minorities over more qualified majorities? Okay! Try this on for size …
https://thechalkboardreview.com/report-minneapolis-will-fire-white-teachers-first/

2 Likes

The teachers union is the most evil institution in America. And don’t give me this crap that your kids teacher is a saint. If they support this evil, and they do, they are also equally evil.

2 Likes

Roll Tide indeed!

‘Roll Tide’: University Of Alabama Sororities Unanimously Reject Membership For Transgender Applicant

Sororities at the University of Alabama, rejecting current political correctness, stuck together as they opposed a biological male attempting to join their groups.

University of Alabama student Grant Sikes stated he attempted to join the sororities but was unanimously rejected. According to Outkick, Sikes posted his quest on TikTok, accruing several million views, but the sororities dismissed the idea of a man joining their groups.

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain around here, there’d be tons of internal outrage over something like this. For us as far as teachers, I think most of the complainers and noisemakers are of the crotchety-old-timers-set-in-their-ways variety, not overly woke social justice warriors. I’m sure there still are a few around who want to actively endorse this “evil”, but they arent really given much say in the matter. Between covid and all this other crap the past couple years, I’ve been pretty happy with our school district, where policies and directives mostly yield a sense of sanity.