Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

I’m sure he’ll be fine once he gets his check+ kickbacks soon. I guess I can’t run from Congress in his district. Anywhere else where 800+ FICO scores are considered good?

1 Like

These are internal pages from Twitter moderation. These screenshots (watermarked) are provided to Weiss and Taibbi by someone at Twitter who makes sure they’re not breaking any agreements about sharing PII.

I’m not sure of your meaning about the summaries, but it’s obvious this is an editorial article and not a news article.

2 Likes

Who is publishing the articles in the search list? Not the main stream left-wing media

I can find no mention of it on the NYTimes website. The Wapo website has a Dec. 3 article pooh-poohing the story but nothing since then.

I stand by my point. The story is being shadow banned

2 Likes

More Twitter censorship files. How they suppressed Trump before the election, and more importantly how anything with evidence of problems or questions about the security of Mail-in voting was blocked and or banned.

Our Democracy is Safe because we told you so.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1601352083617505281

4 Likes

on the good news front

3 Likes

A good summary of the Twitter wars so far. Article is behind paywall but I got summary from Instapundit

The battle for Twitter keeps rolling on. Here’s a round-up of the online war and how Musk uses Twitter’s interior lines to a significant effect:

Apple

Assumption or rumor: Apple was considering banning Twitter from their AppStore due to pressure from the networked #swarm.

Data point: Apple, Twitter’s largest advertiser, had already paused its advertising.

Opportunity: Apple came under fire for supporting China’s suppression of COVID protests (they limited airdrop).

Maneuver: Elon leaks the rumor that Apple is considering a ban.

Maneuver 2: Elon points out Apple’s abuse of its platform’s dominance.

Effect: Apple gets more negative coverage in one day than in a year.

Hidden maneuver: Twitter offers Apple significant incentives to resume advertising (Apple spent $180m in 2022).

Result: Elon meets with Tim Cook (Apple’s CEO), and the threat of a ban is dismissed. Apple resumes advertising on Twitter. An anchor participant in the war against Twitter is removed.

The Twitter Files

Musk makes a strategic play to prove Twitter is restoring free speech.

Maneuver 1: He does this by releasing internal Twitter e-mails showing government requests to suppress people and ideas on the platform.

Maneuver 2: He provides these documents to the allies (substack personalities like Matt Taibbi and Bari Weiss) he generated by unbanning accounts instead of the establishment press (he can’t open source them because they aren’t anonymized).

Effect: The stories generated show cooperation between the political parties and Twitter on censorship.

Result: While the files generate little national coverage in the traditional press, they have a strategic impact.

They provide Musk with legitimacy (“defender of free speech”) for his actions.
They protect against government action in the future (requests or investigations). Assumption: he will quickly make government pressure public.
Directing the distribution builds up the value of the online press (on Twitter, substack, etc.) at the expense of traditional media.

2 Likes

Musk is a master troll. :grin:

“My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci,” Musk wrote at 5:58 a.m. eastern time Sunday.

Edit. Maybe there’s more to this than trolling? Evidence about to be revealed from the Twitter files?

Musk’s latest tweets could suggest damning information might soon be revealed about Fauci, the government virologist who set COVID policies, including school lockdowns, economic shutdowns, and mask and vaccine mandates, under two administrations.

3 Likes

Despite my current bout of Covid cough, this laugh was worth the pain. Thank you!

1 Like

So join the crowd of Covid cough’ers.

I remember that you didn’t desire taking the shots. But even though most of us followed the instructions of taking Covid-19 shots and booster’s, we ended up getting sick. :((

Be thankful you didn’t have to go to the ICU, or the cemetery :))

2 Likes

Twitter - nothing of value was lost

3 Likes

I’m thankful every day: covid, no covid; commies, no commies; jackasses, well that will never happen. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your ill health. Take care of yourself with lots of fluids and a nice hunk of zinc (just kidding).

Re my cough, I spoke too soon, and just presumed my current “headcold” is covid. My loving wife insisted I take a test … I’m negative, so this is just the flu. To be honest, I can’t really tell the two apart.

That’s good. So many illnesses going around and who knows their names. I’m trying to stay away from crowds.

1 Like

In yesterday’s news, PayPal still sucks.

How had PayPal—birthed in the fertile crescent of innovation, the old Silicon Valley of web 1.0—become . . . this? How had this company, which had been all about liberating the individual, become a pillar of our emerging social-credit system?

“I was appalled when I discovered PayPal had suspended my accounts,” Young told me. “The authoritarian, social-credit system developed in China was now being implemented in the West, except instead of ideological compliance being enforced by the Chinese Communist Party, it was being policed by a woke capitalist corporation.”

4 Likes

You’re talking about completely wrecking their business model. They make money off ads. They are able to tell their advertisers that their average users scrolls for 15 minutes 6 times a day which translates to 73 ads viewed for 2.5 seconds each (made up numbers, but you get my point). They are able to get that person to scroll for 15 minutes because they serve up what that user wants to read based on an algorithm. Take it away and that users stays on the site for a shorter amount of time and visits less. Without some compelling state interest, you can’t just take their business away. Sorry, but “it’s bad that some people say things that aren’t true” isn’t a compelling state interest.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me to close my dormant PayPal account.

1 Like

Generally speaking, yes, there is a problem. I remember the good old days when Bill Clinton signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act after it passed by voice vote in a democrat controlled house and 97-3 in a democrat controlled congress. Now that same party wants to scrap it (the equality act is essentially a repeal of RFRA).

No. I think the democrats shift to the left is responsible. Social media hasn’t harmed politics. It has just made it much more present in our lives. Its just harder to ignore.

Yes. Most of the stuff that appears in my feed is stuff I am interested in. If the bots made that happen, those are some damn impressive bots. But I don’t think the bots had anything to do with it. I think the algorithm is just good as what it is trying to do - serve up stuff to people based on their interests in order to get them to continue browsing.

I like what Elon is doing by releasing the internal documents essentially proving what the right has been claiming all along that silicon valley has been doing, yet silicon valley has been denying. I hope their are more whistleblowers and leakers so that these companies will stop lying to us about what they are doing behind the scenes.

3 Likes

Just updating the definition of woman, nothing to see here

3 Likes