Social credit in America - Politics invades personal finance

If we’re being honest, the “no covid” and “no commies” may also never happen :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I believe that whatever “silicon valley has been doing, yet denying” was/is an attempt to solve the political divide. So releasing this information isn’t going to fix the divide, because the divide predates all of this. I was asking what’s your solution to the political divide.

The thing about “the dictionary” is that it’s ever-evolving. The word was already being widely used in that way, the dictionary is just catching up.

When you wear rose colored glasses, red flags just look like flags.

Silicon Valley: Oh, we’re not trying to make sure only people we agree with are elected and therefore have all the power, we’re just trying to heal the political divide. How will we heal it? Well, if those people on the other side of the divide can’t be heard, and if we can make sure the people that teach their kids can only hear us and agree with us, maybe there will be none of them in the next generation. What? Convince them our ideas are better? We don’t have time for that. DEMOCRACY is at stake!

So you don’t think social media created the divide then?

One side has to stop trying to fundamentally reshape our society. The other side has to stop picking terrible candidates that would rather trigger the libs than simply govern properly.

3 Likes

Really? Exactly how many words in the past decade have changed so that the second DEFINITION of the word is essentially the opposite of the first definition?

When will they update the definition of this one to include “what dictionary editors do in order to support the agenda of one particular political faction”?

Here’s the thing. I understand that… when something is settled. It isn’t widely being used that way. It’s being used that way by people who support the transgender rights agenda. That is not even close to a majority of the society. You have nearly as many people on the other side that no only don’t use it that way, but actually oppose that definition. This is an EXTREMELY controversial topic. It is not even remotely close to settled. It’s one thing for the dictionary to add the definition of “global warming” or “climate change” based of the consensus definition a couple years after those terms entered the global lexicon. Depending on your politics, you’re probably going to disagree with the definition, but you can understand why it happened. However, there is no where near a consensus in the gender identity debate compared to the global warming debate, yet here you are trying to change definitions. It really reminds me of Leon Lett high stepping into the end zone too soon or the Chicago Tribune printing “Dewey Defeats Truman.” Do you people really think that you are helping this new reality come about by prematurely celebrating the end of the debate. How do you not realize you are actually hurting your own cause by doing this? The lack of self awareness is astounding.

1 Like

“Solve” it only in terms of pretending one side didn’t exist… Delete your opposition from society, and then society will agree with your position!

2 Likes

So if enough people start saying the earth is flat, the dictionary will update the definition of earth to be “a flat, pancake-shaped mass in space”?

Start trying to do good, instead of trying to win. When you are trying to do good, you compromise because some good is better than nothing. When trying to win, you claim to be trying to do good, but prefer a stalemate over the loss from having compromised.

2 Likes

Fake it til you make it. Say something enough times and others will start to believe it. It’s exactly what they constantly cry about the right wing extremists doing, and a primary reason why they insist social media must be censored. So of course they think it’s helping their new reality come true, they just want to be the only ones doing it.

2 Likes

Let me clarify – the divide predates the social media’s policing of content. Social media created the divide, then tried to fix it.

I see your points, and I might even agree with a small caveat. You say “reshape”, I say that, just like the dictionary, the politicians are just catching up to what the society, or at least a young majority, has already become.

Probably because the “you people” in this case isn’t actually a coherent and organized group, but rather individuals acting on their own. I agree with your point that it may be hurting the cause.

1 Like

The China method! :laughing: :hushed: :unamused:

Only I’d argue that what the “young majority” has become is due to where the handful of extremists have pushed them, largely via social media. As Meed says, society hasnt already become this, that’s just the narrative being pushed to try to convince [mostly youth] that it is already normalized. And by censoring any opposition as being “hate speech”, there is no effective rebuttal to such claims - which is the primary reason why it has grown so much in recent years rather than remain on the fringe. Young people are taught that this is the new normal and other opinions are the fringe, when reality is the other way around.

It’s a tangent, but this also applies to the “race divide”. People who use data and reason to explain differences between races in education, etc are censored as hate-filled racists, so that the calls of inequalities due to rampant racism can go unchecked.

1 Like

Sadly, we only have about one line left to be crossed before we become exactly that. And that line has already been bumped up against far too many times in recent years.

1 Like

Sometimes that is the case, but sometimes politicians are the leaders. It really depends and can change depending on the issue and the time period. I think a successful politician (himself successful, not so much his party for the 8 years he was in office) like Barack Obama, was a transformer. Obama: Transforming America | RealClearPolitics He was in the lead. He wasn’t catching up. But now, I think most aren’t catching up or in the lead, they are doing what @glitch99 described - following a small handful of extremists down a very transformative path that is way more damaging to society than they realize. And they are so afraid of the people claiming the identities they have chosen to set above all others (and their own), they aren’t even sure how to stop it even when they know its going too far.

3 Likes

This is an important point that I think deserves more discussion. I used to have serious conversations with my good friend about the direction things were headed on college campuses and how that worried me for the future of society. For years, he would just laugh and repeat the same old thing that everyone would say, “when those college kids hit the real world and their employer doesn’t provide them with cry closets, they’ll snap out of it.” While that may have been the case for every other generation that left college with wide eyed optimism only to be crushed by the reality of adult life, that hasn’t happened to the generation that graduated in the past 10 years. Corporate America has hired these folks on into now required DEI departments. Not only are their ideas of how little they should be challenged being accepted, they are SHAPING the corporate culture of most of society. The majority of college students today don’t believe in free speech. They believe it is perfectly acceptable to shout down a speaker who’s ideas they don’t like until the person is forced to give up and leave the stage. They believe speech can be violence and they can be traumatized from hearing someone say something. And it doesn’t even have to be directed at them in order to experience trauma. My friend started to acknowledge I had a point around 2016 after the Yale Halloween Controversy, but was still hopeful that the pendulum would swing back the other way before things got out of control. Only in the past couple years did he see that nearly all ideas kids pick up from their social science professors are taking hold outside colleges, and they have more than creeped into primary school education.

3 Likes

Now you’re likely to be #metood. :rofl:

I see that you are certain of this, and I can respect and understand that, because clearly it’s very divisive and, perhaps, moving too fast for the society to adapt. I’m just not as certain that it’s the wrong thing to do in the long-run.

3 Likes

If you don’t like our rules, make your own platform. Let the MSM whining begin… Elon kicked a bunch of MSM journalists off for doxxing people.

3 Likes

FBI bad actors

3 Likes

Officials from the bureau even asked for Twitter to hand over the locations from where the Twitter accounts were being operated, in a disturbing move that many saw as an attack on the First Amendment.

Yeah, Twitter was all about giving people a “voice”. Apparently, you only get a voice if you’re with, or agreeing with, the man.