The good:

1. tangle free
  2. clearance price
  3. free shipping
  4. color coded

Not as good:

1. Beware these cables are aluminum
  2. And they are very long

I would prefer copper cables. However, all my copper jumper cables are individual conductors and they get tangled up like crazy.

These might work long enough, especially in winter, to get you going before they burn up. And at this price with free shipping they could be worth a look:

Stanley aluminum booster cables closeout at Home Depot

ETA

As you would anticipate, these booster cables are also available at Amazon.com. Price there is $18.69 with free shipping if your overall order is $25 or more.

Of more interest are the Amazon reviews. 86% are positive (four or five stars), but a few condemn these cables viciously.

Link to the same cables at Amazon

ETA

I might have been a tad bit unfair with the above. Yes, these are aluminum, something I do not like. But the conductors are copper plated. I failed to mention that and I realize now I should have.

I’m not entirely certain. But the copper plating might help to reduce a disadvantage of aluminum wire in this situation, namely oxidation where the cable conductors are joined to the battery terminal clamps.

1 Like

This is an automatically-generated Wiki post for this new topic. Any member can edit this post and use it as a summary of the topic’s highlights.

Unless you’re running a tow truck, repair shop, etc., I begrudgingly admit these will do the job. It just takes more time.

I believe that aluminum is more brittle in cold weather. Also, copper stays flexible down to around -50C. Although, I’d be more worried about the sheathing than the metal at that temperature! :slight_smile: For the same length and AWG, generally, resistance for 4-gauge CCA is about the same as 6-gauge copper.

CCA is light and flexible (in most temperatures). Good price and great length; you can park behind/front instead of front bumper or front bumper. As long as you aren’t starting a 18-wheeler or heavy equipment, this is fine for most folks.

2 Likes