Stimulus? Don't give up hope

Sigh, no free undeserved money for me. However, I did get $2400 in unemployment last month even though I only had unemployment for a few months in 2018. I spent a few hours trying to get in touch with NJ Unemployment as I thought I was getting scammed and they finally said they did an audit from Nov-Dec 2018 and found out they never sent me the last payments so that’s what the money was for. So it technically was my money, 1.5 years late, with no extra interest.

3 Likes

The joke is on me!

So earlier today I walk down to the road, to my mailbox, to fetch the mail. There is this letter, I see it right away, from the IRS. Oh, sh**, I think. They want their money back. I’m gonna be $1400 poorer.

Nope. So wrong

It was a personal letter to me from President Biden. He bragged in his letter about having sent me the $1400! Bless Biden’s heart. He’s destroying the country but how can I possibly hate a guy who sends me money I don’t deserve?

Biden even mentioned in his letter about the $600 he thought I had received earlier from that dirtbag, Trump. But skinflint Trump never sent me a dime!! Only Uncle Joe did that.

Thank you, Joe. :laughing:

2 Likes

Remember all the ink spilled (real and virtual) by those in the legacy media over how Trump wanted his signature on the checks and the letter he sent out bragging about “his” stimulus. Funny, I don’t remember seeing any articles recently about Biden sending out the same letter.

4 Likes

Because Trump’s signature was on the checks. Not only is that ridiculous because the checks are from the Treasury and not from the President, but it also delayed those checks. Biden’s signature was on a letter that was sent separately.

1 Like

I got the letter a few days ago also. I found it interesting that it said money should be deposited within 7 days of receipt of letter or similar. I am pretty sure the deposit occurred 2-3 weeks before the letter at least. Processing delays plus mail delays, I get it, but funny nonetheless.

1 Like

Hey, what are your thoughts on the possibility of Newsom CA handing out a stimulus payment?

Newsom touring the state to unveil elements of his budget. Me thinks, he’s a bit worried about trying to save his job?

2 Likes

There was a lot of ink spilled on the LETTER from Trump. It was not all about his insistence on having his signature on the check. Funny, if you click on the names of the authors of that piece, there isn’t a similar article written about the Biden letter.

But to be fair, there were a few pieces written about Biden’s letter. Unsurprisingly, Google boosted to #1 in my search the article in which the press is essentially acting as the PR wing of the White House.

1 Like

My understanding is that some kind of refund is required by law when the surplus exceeds some amount, so it has nothing to do with “saving” his job. I think his job is safe, since he’s very popular among normal people, and CA leans heavily Democratic. Not always for gubernatorial elections, but even the recent Republican governors were moderates. Heck, Arnold might be considered a Democrat by Trumplicans who just ousted a Cheney. But this is OT and I haven’t looked at the political thread in a long time, where I’m sure this is being discussed. I answered because you asked, and I’d like to end it on that.

1 Like

Not only will he want to send a stimulus, but I bet he will want his name on it, AND send a letter explaining “his” generosity. But this is OT and I don’t read the political threads. I answered because you asked and I’d like to end it on that.

1 Like

Definitely these stimulus are coming to people who don’t need them much but we weren’t about to let over $5k in free money on the table simply by having our kids in college file taxes independently.

2 Likes

I don’t blame you one bit for taking advantage of welfare, but I think you’ll agree that this largesse is improperly pointed.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Random checks regardless of whether people need them or not are a waste of money. In our case, money ended up padding a bit more our 529 Plan to be used in a few years. Totally not relief for pandemic-induced hardship.

The money, stolen from our grandkids and great-grandkids without their knowledge or consent, is being used in an attempt to buy votes. It will not buy mine.

3 Likes

Biden might qualify as the most generous POTUS in American history. His largesse did not stop with American citizens like myself:

Confused Japanese Citizens Receive Stimulus Checks From Biden’s COVID-19 Relief Package

Surprise in the mail: The recipients, noncitizens who once lived in America but left a long time ago, posted online that they were surprised to receive stimulus checks from the U.S. Treasury

• A 79-year-old man and his wife in Kanagawa Prefecture received the checks from the U.S. Department of the Treasury back in April, each containing $1,400 (152,000 yen).

• The man first thought the checks were from his U.S. Social Security benefits. He had paid Social Security taxes while he was stationed in the U.S. from 1978 to 1983.

• However, a friend told him that the check is part of Biden’s stimulus package and suggested that he might be able to cash it.

Read the full story here:

Linky

2 Likes

I agree that the handouts claimed to boost the economy is just a poorly disguised scheme to buy votes. Trump wanted $2k checks and only got $600. Biden was all too happy to oblige with $1400 difference. Shameful and wasteful from both administrations.

But the theft is a bit overplayed. The money is not going to recipients and disappearing completely. It should eventually trickle from the recipients to their heirs albeit in a very indirect and delayed fashion. I think the better analogy would be a massive wealth redistribution. Cost is spread across society equally in form of inflation. Money simply flows indirectly from people who do not receive checks to those who do. Just a more sneaky way to change how progressive the tax laws are without actually doing a tax reform.

1 Like

New Wave Stimulus checks coming up middle of July.
Sorry, thank it will only be for families with children.
Will many quality on this site?

Are you referring to the increased child tax credit or something else ?

Yes has to be the anticipated child tax credit. Hopefully getting it early won’t throw off people who expect a refund on their 2021 taxes next year.

It would also throw off people who already adjusted their payroll withholding to account for the full child tax credit. I’m gonna have to send that money right back. Extra MS!

Hopefully they add all these automatic credit payments into the tax underpayment calculations. Else they would end up penalizing people who would not have underpaid without the credits being shoved down their throats :slight_smile: .

I was thinking the same. For people with 3-4 kids, it could easily result in large underpayments where they adjusted their withholding to get a small refund. You’d hope the system will take it into account but considering how the IRS sent stimulus checks to non-americans living overseas, I wouldn’t count on it if I was getting those checks.